kturner

PAUL RAFFERTY UPDATE - please reserve for news

If I'm not mistaken, he will need a fair amount during recovery and I can credit his account in order to save the family a small amount.

I called Temple Burn Unit about donating blood, platelates, etc. And the only POSSIBLE thing for donations is blood (due to HIV risk they can't take tissue) and as for the blood, they can't patient specific it to Paul. Best option they had was that is you can go to your local blood bank and donate blood. Although it may not go specifically to Paul, without those donations it would not be there in times of need such as this.
As for any other donations, carpools, etc. If anyone hears any specifics I'd be more than happy to help out. I teach in PA until 4pm, but I'm sure I could vamp my schedule to meet your needs. If anything needs to be organized don't hesitate to ask.
-Emily

Always and Forever,
Emily

This whole tragedy is hard to read about. I can't imagine the pain that Paul, his family and his friends are going through. Of course, since we're both skydivers, he's a friend I just haven't met yet, and so I feel sympathy and a hope that he gets out of danger and recovers soon. Peace,
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

As far as I know, Katie is right. He is still stable and on 100% life support... that is the word I received late last night. They will continue to keep him in a coma for the next week or two. I'll be speaking to Bill soon so expect an update within the next hour or two.

Yes, Julie made it up there yesterday and she has been w/ Paul. She is staying w/ John Eddowes.

Bill wanted me to make it clear how grateful he is to all of you! Thank you for keeping him strong!

Kim

Just spoke to Ruth (Paul's sister)...

Paul is still stable but does require 100% life support. Yesterdays procedures went well. They were able to use 1600mm of skin from his legs. They took some X-rays today but the results aren't in as of yet. The fluid in his lungs are still causing the most concern. They will not do any more procedures until his lungs get better.

Kim

News from the front:

Stephan Lipp (from Eloy) and I have been pulling all-night vigil at the hospital since we arrived on Monday. Neither of us have bathed or changed clothes or give a crap.

Paul is critical, but we stay and hope. He is on a ventilator at 100% O2 and very-high positive pressure in an attempt to stabilize his respiratory system which was scorched in the incident. The high positive pressure keeps his lungs from shrinking up (from the internal burns) and the o2 mix at max keeps his blood oxygenated as much as possible (currently at 92% retention at this mix). He is fed intraveniously and through a tube in his nose. He is kept in an induced coma and a paralytic state to prevent his body from using oxygen in "the wrong places" at this point. He will likely be in this state for some weeks, then will have a trach airway cut in and the vent will be moved out of his mouth and to there to prevent undue infection. He will not be allowed out of this state until his respiratory state has improved some great degree. Should he make it past this state (we can only hope and pray....there is only a 10 percent chance), he will then have to deal with the infection from his now-manifested burns.

On a positive note, his heartbeat is strong and his BP remains steady, though pharmacutically maintained. He is strong of mind and body, so he has a much better chance than most of pulling through. It will take everything he has to get through this. Another positive note is that some of the burns previously thought to be third degree are now categorized as second degree. That said, Paul is very, very burned (91 percent of his body).

I am here till next week sometime. Stephan is here for an indefinite period. Paul's daughter was here with her mother for several days and was by his side. Paul's ex-wife Julie is here with us and will be here for some time.

I have seen some seriously bad things in my life, but this is the worst........period. Paul is one of my best friends in the world and this is very, very hard on me and many others. People deal with these things in their own way. Mine is an internal anger that is grating on me like you cannot believe.

Chuck
PS: it took over an hour to locate an internet cafe in downtown Philadelphia.

[:/]Thanks for the update Chuck. You Da #1 Monkey Bro!!! Our thoughts and hearts are with you, Bill and everyone at Raffs side. This is one FUBAR situation. If you or Bill need anything Chucky let me know. I am checking the up dates here 3 times a day.

Brian K.
"What do you mean you don't do RW?"

Chuck,

Thanks for the update. I stopped by the hospital yesterday to give you guys some encouragement and found you all had taken a break for a few hours, but our thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm an old Herd member (or a Herd member that's old, not sure about which) and I remember Raff from Maytown, United and Cross Keys. I've been in the sport 27 years and I agree, this is the worst I've ever seen too.

Lauren, Dammit & I are sending thoughts, prayers and healing vibes Raff's way. As for you guys, just hang tough and know that people all over the world are pulling for you.

Elaine
D-7863

Hang in there Chuck. The power of prayer and good vibes is stronger then we can imagine.

Remember Eric Denney. He crashed and made it back form the dead. Paul is a tough mofo. You guys keep telling him he will live and he will. Just keep saying it to him!

I deal with things the same way you do. Breathe and close your eyes when you get worked up. Glad to know he has you by his side!

Fuck... my eyes keep welling up when I think about this!!!!
Dom

Paul will make it. I don't know him but I was there at the scene. The most positive thing that happened was while the medics were working on him. They asked him how old he was and he replied, "Twenty." Still had his sense of humor.

I have been praying. Everyone in my family has been praying. He has a huge support system on top of already being an incredibly tough human being. And it seems pretty clear to me (and lots of others who were there) that God is not done with Paul yet. There is no way to explain how he got out of that car other than divine intervention.

All my love, prayers and support to all his family and friends.

Hey guys, ER here. I know I've been out of the loop for a while but that doesn't mean my thoughts have not been with you, and now even more so.Bill, Julie,Chuck, I know words don't mean much, but know that I'm thinking of you guys. You're some of my dearest friends and fondest memories at Raeford. Hang in there and give and give paul my best when he wakes up. Blue Skies... ER

I have paul in my thoughts and prayers. Paul is lucky to have a freind like you chuck. Also remember to take care of yourself too. You need emotional support and don't be afraid to reach out for it. Plenty of people around here love you and will be here if you ever need someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry on.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Chuck, CC here.. damned glad to read that Paul is in good hands. If I live to be a hundred - and there are days when that doesn't seem so far off - I'll never understand why some things happen the way they do - but they do... and we live with the consequences. Paul's life has been changed forever, as have the lives of those close to him. Hopefully he'll come out of this and still be able to do the things he likes to do in life the best - if not, then adjustments may have to be made.

There's a reason for everything, let's just hope he makes it through this thing so we can see what the ol' man upstairs has in mind for Paul. He's strong, and if anyone can make it, it'll be him.

I've known Paul since he first went to the Team back in the early 80's. He's the kind of guy whose smile never left his face - and he always has something good to say about the people in his life; his positive attitude has always been contageous. He's simply one of those guys you always look forward to hanging around with. I haven't seen him in a long time, now I wish I'd made more of an effort to stay in touch - it's always that way with us Army guys.

Chuck, if there's anything you need for me to do for you here in the sandhills of NC, don't hesitate to PM me. I have plenty of sources to get things done, and if I can't do it, I'm pretty good at finding a friend who can. I've registered here for one reason - to stay in the loop on Paul's condition.

Please pass my regards to his family. I'll say one - another one - for him.

And keep the faith, mate...

De Oppresso Liber,
HazBeen/CC
Better to have been a Haz Been than a never waz

Chuck,

Are you and Stephen set for somewhere to stay and catch a shower etc.?

I know you don't give a crap right now but if you get to a point where you need somewhere to crash and get cleaned up let me or any of the others from crosskeys know and we will take care of it.

This goes for anyone else too.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

My heart goes out to Paul, his family and friends. I am glad to know that Paul is in an induced coma and is not having to feel the horrific pain. Godspeed.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M