kturner

PAUL RAFFERTY UPDATE - please reserve for news

To his family and friends. First I would like to say my sencere condolanses. That night was a night none of us will ever forget. I still think about it most of my day, it just makes me sick, so many thing in my head, what else could i have done? The only thing i was able to do was to sit there with him and hold hand to give him comfort, let him know that were there for him. i wish i could of thought of something better to say, I was talking to him about wing loading, on how about Im 145 LBS what do thing I should be flying. I didnt know on what else to say. But I can say I sorry. Raff Ill always think of ya blue skys.

To his daughter Alexa, You must be one special girl that your father love greatly. The only thing I truely remember your father saying to me was your name
Alexa

I've known Paul for about 15 years. He was an awesome Step dad. He treated me more of a son than my real dad. I can remember going to the hospital just after Alexa was born..I remember him saying "You've got a brand new sister to watch out for." Paul took time to take me hunting different places, helped me skin out a couple of deer, and even gave me some of his medals that he won skydiving. I have lots of memories of Paul and Uncle Bull. Not one memory is bad. Paul took my girl friend skydiving for her graduation present. He asked me to go too, but I chickened out. I wish now I would have gone. There's just not enought nice comments one can make about Paul. Alexas being strong just like her father was. I've shed my share of tears for Paul, Alexa, Bill, Julie, and the rest of his family. I hate this happend to such a great guy like Paul.

My condolences to all of you who have lost a father, son, brother and friend with Paul's passing. The posts here reveal how much he meant to everybody who met him..they also reveal how lucky he was to know so many great people who have suffered terribly with his passing.

Paul was a lucky man to have so many friends that were at his side, giving their all, until it was over. To his friends, I say that you have done your job and been true friends to Paul in his hour of greatest need. It is time for you to take comfort in knowing that you did all you could to help and ease his suffering, a true friend can do no more.

With my deepest sympathy,

Murray

I have lots of memories of Paul and Uncle Bull. Not one memory is bad. Paul took my girl friend skydiving for her graduation present. He asked me to go too, but I chickened out. I wish now I would have gone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your Uncle 'Bull' (that sounds right, he's bullheaded) Bill will teach you all you wanted to know from your step-dad...God Bless you and yours and may he rest in peace~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

I am Philip's girl friend Amy and I have known of Paul for over two years. (For those of you who do not know Philip, he is Alexa's brother.) I finally was able to meet Paul last May when he took me skydiving for my graduation. He was extremly kind and made sure I knew this was safe. I could tell from just being around him for that afternoon that he was a great man and that he loved his little girl. Alexa is a strong little girl and has experienced something horriable at such a young age. Alexa I hope you know how much your dad loved you and that he will always be with you. You have so many people that love you and will take care of you. Stay strong and always know you have a gardian angle wataching over you.
To Pauls family and friends. I am sorry about your loss and I wish there was something I could say to make it better.

I am making a book for Alexa with things that people have said about her Dad if anyone would like to post something for her.

Amy McNeill

I know I'm not alone in saying this, but I haven't slept very much in the last week because I can't get the picture out of my head, I had an ambulance behind me in traffic the other day and my skin started to crawl. I know this will pass, its just that the more I hear, read, and talk to other people about Raff, the more I realize that to say we lost someone special, really doesn't do him justice.

I didn't know Raff all that well, actually I had just met him that Saturday. Long enough to introduce ourselves. He was looking forward to kicking off a great season.

Unfortunately I saw what happened to Raff that Saturday night, and as horrible as the event was, I still marvel at the inner strength and fortitude that came from Raff during the incident.

I was also one of the many to stay with him until the paramedics arrived. The whole time we were telling him it wasn't that bad, and trying to comfort him, all he could say was to take care of Alexas. I feel she should know that....................................

My deepest condolences to Alexas and Raff's family,
I hope that I may have the chance to meet you at the memorial as I regretably and sadly am unable attend the funeral.

God Speed Raff -
Enjoy your new wings, I'm sure it won't belong until you figure out how to improve them......

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

Forgive me if this is comparatively long winded, but I just felt the need to express my feelings about Paul. As I read all of these entries, as many of you have, I feel a large number of you, and I mean a very large number of you, have not been forthcoming with your emotions and experiences with Paul Rafferty.
I want you to know it’s time to let it out.
Since the time this incident was reported, thousands have viewed these posts. Thousands reading these posts are friends of Paul. What your posts reflect is the final accounting of his life in a public forum outside of the funeral. Here is where more people will learn of Paul Rafferty’s life then anywhere else. Forgive me, but I never knew him. His passing pains me to know I never will. But I did post this--as many who didn’t know him, posted their thoughts too.
Although we never spoke, I boarded a few planes with Paul as he took tandem students on the ride of their lives at Skydive Crosskeys. We had several things in common: military service, skydiving and we each have a daughter. They say in life you only have two things to give, your love and your labor. For Paul, skydiving was both. But what remains is his legacy. The more I learn about Paul the more I idolize the man, his accomplishments and his power. Paul’s true legacy, of which skydiving lies far below, is his love for his daughter, family and friends. I believe Paul’s family wants to know how he touched your life. Since we never spoke, I would be fascinated to read your accounts.
If you knew him, you need to post. Well, I think you need to post. You need to get it out. He was a man of warmth, humor, adventurous character, principle and quality. At this place and time, his life can only be expressed in your words. Paul’s magnitude is irreplaceable. I believe there’s a piece of him in all of us. By epitomizing him in your words, his memory lives anew, and his passing can give us all greater meaning to our lives.
We are no farther away then 8 people from anyone on this planet. Even an Eskimo would know someone who knows someone, etc., who knew Paul. To those who knew Paul personally, yours is a privilege, a treasure, few of us shared. Please share it. Thank you.

My heartfelt condolences to Paul’s family, friends, brothers-in-arms and acquaintances everywhere.

You're always the starter in your own life!

Services will be held Thursday, May 6

Baughnan Memorial United Methodist Church
corner of 3rd & Bridge Street
New Cumberland, PA 17070

9:00 - 10:30am - Visitation
10:30am - Church service

Ft. Indian Town Gap
(I don't have an address as of yet, but it's about a 45min drive away)
12:30pm - Funeral service

2:00pm(ish) - Reception
Location is unknown at this time... they're still working on that part.

There will be a tribute to Paul Rafferty on May 15, 2004 at PK Airpark in Raeford, NC. This is not a fundraiser but a memorial for Paul.

The schedule of events is as follows:

May 15, 2004 – rain date is Sunday May 16th

3:45 at the pavilion for a 4:05 moment of silence

6:00 Dirt Dive for the 40 way memorial jump with some of Paul’s ashes. (They will not be released)

6:30 take off

Upon landing there will be a short ceremony

Dinner will follow the ceremony

There will be an open bar until 10PM

Accommodations:

There are 10 available RV slots as well as camping. Contact PK Airpark to reserve a slot 910-875-3261

There are showers available at the Drop Zone

The closest major hotels are in Fayetteville, NC

Parking:

There will be overflow parking across the street from the drop zone.

The Memorial Jump:

Please email [email protected] if you are interested in jumping on the 40 way.

There will be 38 slots available with Raff’s ashes and Bill being the only reserved slots

Craig Girard will be organizing the jump.

Dinner

Please RSVP to [email protected] if you plan to attend the dinner.

Dinner is free

Open bar until 10PM

BTW - For those on the notification list.... If you didn't receive my last 2 emails it is because of AOL. They deactivated my account due to bulk email activity. They've reactivated my account, but I need to limit my email activity to under 1000 emails per day. But you can always check this thread for the same info.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Sorry :(

Matt - I am in a training program for hospice volunteers. Everything I've read to date, and everything I've been told says the most important thing you can do is be a comforting presence and let the patient know they are not alone. I am certain that Raff knew you were there and was aware of your love and caring. Even though you wish you could have done more, you did something very special -you gave of yourself.

Sidebar - I first met Raff back in the late 80s in Pitt Meadows, BC Canada. The GK 8 way team came up every summer to put on a skills camp. All the guys were generous with their time, their patience, humor and support. I have always appreciated the opportunity to be a part of that time and place. I can see his quick smile and clear blue eyes even now. They were serene even then.

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

I am so sorry to hear that Paul has died. I've read so much positive regard for him here that I wish I had been able to know him. Sounds like a person who will long be celebrated for his life, loves, and accomplishments. It is surely a shame that he has been taken from this world and from those who love him. I give my condolences to you all.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I just came across a quote that I thought worth sharing. It is from the book Final Gifts by Maggie Callanan and Patricia Kelley.

Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon, and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

ROSSITER WORTHINGTON RAYMOND
1840-1918

As a skydiver the reference to the horizon seems appropriate. Blue skies Raff.

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

I know I'm not alone in saying this, but I haven't slept very much in the last week because I can't get the picture out of my head.

About nine years ago we lost a friend in a plane crash. There was a fire. I was in Eloy at the time and heard about it from someone who read about it in the local tabloid. The press story said Dave was awake for the fire. Later I heard it was not true, It doesn't matter any more. For a long time I couldn't get a picture in my head of Dave without also picturing the fire. Eventually I was able and now when I remember him I just see the big toothy grin.
Right now I cannot picture Raff without the fire, but I know I will. How Paul died will fade away, how he lived will not. For those of you unlucky enough to see Paul get hurt, remember the smile, remember the flash in his eyes that said he was having fun. It will come.

Our prayers are with Raff's family and friends right now.

If anyone needs a place to crash, we live about an hour and a half away from Raeford. If you don't mind kids and dogs, anyone's welcome.

Blue skies Raff.

Pam and Merrick

I did not know Paul (my boyfriend did). But my heart is breaking for Paul's family, friends, and the people unfortunate enough to have been there that night.

Although I never met him, one thing is obvious. He loved his daughter very much. That is something that will never die. Alexa, may your father's unimaginable love for you comfort you now and in years to come.

My deepest sympathies to all of you.

Sincerely,

Jen

Thank you for everything that you have been doing for us.
Several of us from Maytown SPC will be attending on Thurs.
-Grant

Services will be held Thursday, May 6

Baughnan Memorial United Methodist Church
corner of 3rd & Bridge Street
New Cumberland, PA 17070

9:00 - 10:30am - Visitation
10:30am - Church service

Ft. Indian Town Gap
(I don't have an address as of yet, but it's about a 45min drive away)
12:30pm - Funeral service

2:00pm(ish) - Reception
Location is unknown at this time... they're still working on that part.

This is from Patriot News-Harrisburg PA, our local newspaper, it's also Paul's hometown/local news.

I just read the clip from Paul’s hometown newspaper posted by bobseld92. I already knew about most of the things it said about Raff and what he did over the years. It paints a small picture of how extraordinary he was. Sadly there is only one way to know who he was and how the guy affected the people around him. I fell honored to have known him and I wish more of you could have had the chance.

W. Brian Kirby
SSG, USA
Ft. Bragg, NC