kturner

PAUL RAFFERTY UPDATE - please reserve for news

I've never met you, but through these past few days I feel I have come to know you, for the wonderful friend, father, skydiving brother, and wonderful person that you are. Fly Free Brother, Fly Strong, we shall hear your voice in the wind blowing.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Fuck.

I stopped drinking 6 mths ago....Tonight I toasted Paul....

Fuck.

I can't believe it. One memory keeps popping into my head. My last jump to get my Tandem rating..Paul was my passenger. As we moved to the door he turned his head to me and said "Game on Man!".....I will never forget that moment, I will never forget him.

My heart goes out to Juile and Alexa. Bill and Nicole I'm here if you need me....

Blue Skies......
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I met Paul last Sat afternoon. An instantly likeable guy, I was stoked that he was our new DZ manager and figured it would be a great season working for him. He went out of his way to say he had heard good things about me (I demanded to know who was spreading lies), we had a laugh, and now I'm really sad Paul didn't make it. The next jump is for you, Paul!

BSBD
Tree :(

I met Paul through his brother Bill 5 years ago and if you know Bill once he gets something stuck in his mind there is no stopping him, his mission was to make me a Golden Knight. I had a total of 7 jumps, and I was meeting a skydiving legend, Paul and I hit it off immediately, he offered to coach me for no fee what so ever. One year later a dream became a reality when I was selected as a Golden Knight. Paul and I remained close as the years went on and he introduced me to some of skydivings greats along the way, me a nobody in this community. I guess what I'm trying to say is I've lost a mentor, a friend, and a fellow Golden Knight, someone who would take the underdog, and turn them into a contender. Bill, Neil, Chuck, Scott I hope that you know that I love you guys and I will always remember the day you introduced me to a man that changed my life forever.

Blue Skies Paul I will miss you forever.

I write this with sorrow in my heart....This is by far one of the worst days in my life......We not only lost a great friend but I lost a brother.....Paul was my inspiration for skydiving, he was the guy that got me into skydiving and instructing....he was always there for not only me but everyone.....I was crushed when I heard about the accident last sunday morning....... I like everyone else have been on pins and needles with every email and phone call about our friend...today when I heard that the suffering was over It was bitter sweet...I cried for Alexa but was in peace knowing that Raff wasnt suffering anymore. I was refraining from putting anything on here but tonite I had to......I took a ride out to Raeford DZ to look at his pictures up on the walls at Aviators Grill of Paul....funny part was there were others there doing the same thing....Paul was happiest there.....only one thing made him happier than being at that drop zone......you got it guys and girls...ALEXA....that girl was his world and it didnt surprise me when I read from Kim that the first thing out of his mouth as he came out of the fire was to take care of her.....That girl meant the world to him! Raff is going to be missed......He was a true friend , and will continue being an inspiration for all of us whos heart he touched... I can say I loved that man like a brother......OK no funny comments guys you all out there know what I mean....you meet Paul for the first time you couldnt help but love the guy...I'm not too sure our community will be the same without him and his positive attitude and big smile .....Bill , I know youre going thru alot right now but if you need anything....you know how to get me....I know Raff is up there looking down on us and will always be there in spirit with us when we jump.......Raff, I never got a chance to thank you for all that you did , but you will always be with me when I jump.....I love ya man! Blue Skies!!!!!!!!

ps I quit drinking 3 months ago....but tonite I raised a glass in Pauls honor....youll be missed!

My condolences to Paul's family. My heart goes out to his friends and family on this hard times.

The skydiving community lost one of it's best members today.:(

We didn't loose a great friend down here... they gained an awesome friend up there.

We will all see you soon Paul... set aside a slot for all of us on The Big Way!

HISPA #5

The skies are yours forever, my friend. I know you'll be watching all of us and guiding us in your own merry way. When the sky is bright and the wind is just right, I'll know you gave us that day.

Goodbye Paul.

Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I didn't know Paul, but I knew his Golden Knights teammates Chris Talbert and Joe Trinko from the east coast big ways in the late 90's. I have an autographed photograph of the GK 8 way team that they presented me at the 1999 Virginia state record attempts, and sadly enough, Paul's signature is on it.

Please give my regards and condolences to Paul's family, his friends and the entire Golden Knights fraternity.

Paul, fly free with Sandy Wambach, Roger Nelson and all the other greats that we all miss...

Blue Skies
Billy Vance
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Paul was a great coach and instructor. Even in his passing he has taught me something. I thought I was having a bad day at work, but when JB called to tell me the news last night, I realized that the petty things at work aren't anywhere as bad as the past few days for Paul and his wonderful family. I met you many years ago Paul at the 82nd club. You were good then, you are great now. Thanks for the final lesson in humility and BLUE SKIES to you my friend.

Mike Siegfried
D8482

Today I awoke with my head split in two. See last night when i heard the news, i hit the brews. and like many the news hit hard, though i did not know Paul, i spent a tough time with him. for my self and many others, we ran, covered, talked to Paul, hoped and prayed since saturday. and i've kept quiet till now. My heart goes out to Pauls daughter, Pauls family.
and Lord knows I'm I'm real fucking upset. and those in the forum I am here to say Please , please my brothers and sisters, we can never let this happen again!!! BLUE SKIES MY BROTHER!! We love you, And we'll miss you dearly. H-17Eddie Rodriguez

My condolences to Paul's family. I remember Paul as a guy who was a legend in the sport but took time to help new skydivers like me, without a hint of arrogance. He was always there to give hints on how to improve your flying without ever expecting anything in return. He was what is meant by the term "Role model". We should all be a little more like Paul. I'll miss him every time I rig up. Thanks for everything Paul.

Rob Cavin

I don't know a lot about writing but I do know enough about Raff to believe that there are probably enough stories and photos of and about Paul to make a pretty darn good book (maybe called Raff or Blue Skies, or whatever) about him, and I'd be willing to bet that it would sell enough copies to enable the proceeds to be able to be used for Alexa's education or whatever worthy cause might be appropriate.

Again, I'm not a writer, and I only knew Paul for a few years, but I know I'd buy a book about him.

Someone with great writing ability should seriously give that some thought. I'm sure there are thousands of people who would willingly contribute their stories and experiences. And I think the content would be something that could potentially sell lots of copies.

Dave Dillehunt
in memory of Raff

To Paul's family and friends - my heart felt sympathy and condolences for this sad tragedy. To his fellow Golden Knights and the Cross Keys skydiving community - stay strong.
Paul was a great skydiver and a person you liked instantly. He is gone, but will never be forgotten.

Peace to all,
Carolyn Clay

I too only met Paul a few weeks ago, but we talked like we had known each other for years. I was looking forward to having a lot of fun with him this season. I am sure that he will be missed by many.

My sincerest condolences go out to to all who knew and loved him. Blue skies Paul.

kristen

To all:

Please read carefully...

Funeral services are TENTATIVELY set for Tuesday, May 4, 2004. The closest commercial airport to fly into would be Harrisburg International in PA. Private planes can fly into Capital City. I will notify you w/ more specific details once the family coordinates w/ the funeral home and the church. Anyone and everyone is more than welcomed to attend services. Dress Blues and Class A attire is also acceptable.

Raeford DZ will be holding a memorial on Saturday, May 8, 2004. The entire family is expected to be there and everyone is invited.

Bill has expressed his sincerest appreciation for all the calls he has been receiving. However, PLEASE hold off on calling him for at least a week or so. Right now Bill needs time to himself and time with his family to mourn and grieve. He understands how much you all care and he wants to talk to everyone, but please hold off while he gets through this devastating time.

Also, a special request from Bill: To clarify, Paul did NOT undergo ANY amputations. Please put that rumor to rest as it is coming back to the family, making this an even more difficult time for them. Paul went peacefully and he is in a better place... Probably looking down on us with his sparkling blue eyes and giant grin.

I will notify you with the details as soon as I hear word. If anyone needs any other info, please send me an email.

And lastly, a special thank you from Scott and I to all the wonderful people who have sent us their condolences.

Sincerely,
Kim Turner

:( First, thanks to Kim as well as everyone for posting the information.

I have been privileged and honored to know Paul and many other Skydivers for some time now. Paul was not just a great person, but he truly loved what he did. More importantly, he loved more than anything in this world his daughter, Alexa.

I last spoke to Paul maybe a month or so ago. He was of course bragging on Alexa and how proud he was of her. He was loving what he was doing and traveling around quite a bit. He mainly called me to give me an update and find out the latest and greatest on cell phones. Ha. I have to chuckle about that, because he was using up a lot of minutes and needed to upgrade his cell phone plan.....The man loved to talk!

He originally tandemed me out at RAEFORD. He was always ready and willing to help video or tandem anyone that was interested...

Paul was always so positive and he overflowed with energy and happiness. I can still hear his laugh!

Not only was Paul embedded with his brothers and sisters in the Skydiving world, but he made many friends outside of that as well.

He will be truly missed and it just doesn't seem real at all........to lose someone so treasured!

To Alexa and Paul's family/friends, you are in our hearts and spirits. I and many other's are here for you!

Don't abandon the memories!

Sharon Kimmes - aka the cell phone chick!