kturner

PAUL RAFFERTY UPDATE - please reserve for news

Even though I have been registered here for sometime..........Thanks to Katie & Chuck & one drunk Holiday..............Today is the first time I have posted - So, I apologize if I screw anything up......Hmmm.....sounds like me before I go up to do RW as well!

Slim here & let me first say "THANKS to LARRY, RPC, KIM, CHUCK, & CROSS KEYS" - LARRY - for calling me early in the morning to fill me in before I heard it somewhere else - RPC & CROSS KEYS for making donations a manageable process & KIM & CHUCK for keeping us in the loop.

I am a man of few words unless I am liquored up....& I am about 1/2 way....so we'll see what side I fall on.

First Off - Pray - Thoughts - Pray - If you believe there is someone higher up than us when we jump - PRAY! If not - thats kewl - Just keep the Rafferty family in your THOUGHTS!

I hear Paul is being kept up to date with our post - So hear goes - HANG IN THERE BRO! We are here for you - Take your time. You my friend are one of the reasons I jump. I first visited Raeford for a Beer (ok........ok........several) - But, I remember watching these crazy dudes swoop in over the trees - My Thoughts........"I gots to try that"! Imagine my thrill that evening (ok.....ok.......a couple more beers later) when those dudes came out to the fence to watch some of the other jumpers. GOLDEN KNIGHTS BS'ing with this dumb Wisconsin Air Force Hick. If you don't remember - I was the hick! It was that evening - I decided to fulfill a dream. THANKS!

Fast Forward - Training through the 82nd activity - And now I is one! Imagine my thrill the day Neil recommended I hook up with "Raff" for some coach jumps! I couldnt believe that was even an option! Well.............imagine my horror that SAT morning when some Scary Bald-Headed-Tattooed SOB pulled up in this P-O-S White Truck & was looking for the "kid" who wanted coaching from "RAFF". Thats the morning I learned to "Pop Smoke"!

Well - the rest you know - Me & the Money-Pit became a fixture at the DZ - And you never bitched when I pulled up & parked next to your rig! THANKS "RAFF"! Hang in there - Take your time - And know you have friends to help whenever you need it! I owe you one!

Bill - Logan says to tell you HI & he is keeping you & your family in his thoughts & prayers as well. He wanted me to tell you that they are selling that SLINGLING - SLINGBLADE - YENGLING Beer in INDY now - Hey, cut him some slack...........He's only 16 - He doesnt get out much!!

OK - OK - OK - I was over 1/2 way - I am done.

Chuckie......................A BIG "AWWWWWWWWW" at ya - Katie has my numbers - Call when you can!

CHEERS MY FRIENDS - HANG IN THERE PAUL

"THE REAL SLIM SHAIDE"

Rest assured, updates are being posted as they come in. There are no phones allowed inside the hospital so unless we hear something, no news is good news.

Spoke with Chuck this morning.

The entire family stayed with Paul last night. It was a rough night but he's stable again this morning. Please check Chuck's post yesterday afternoon for more detail.

Katie

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Does anyone know if Paul still counting as an army knight?

Once a Knight always a Knight. He is now retired from the military.

Does he got a good insurance to take care of the bills?

Since he is retired he should have something from the military....I'm not sure to what extent.

This is a tough time for MANY people. Please reserve this thread for updates and send well wishes to the other "Sticky" thread.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I want to ask everyone to be sensitive to the fact that Paul¡¯s daughter is reading this forum. So, please consider that opinions about Paul¡¯s state and chances may be best kept for some other time and place.

I have known Paul since he first showed up at Raeford DZ back in the mid 80¡¯s. I watched him progress from a novice to a world champion. I also saw a part of Paul that very few may know about. That is the part of him that even with all his accomplishments was still searching for something. I think he found that several years ago.

Paul¡¯s daughter attends a Christian school and she and her mother are both active members of their local church. I know them well and know what they believe.
They have a Great Hope that will not fade of falter. They know that no matter what happens, no matter what the outcome, God is always working all things for the good of those that love Him.

I only say this to make the point that sometimes things like this can¡¯t be understood until they are understood in the light of eternity.

The eternal perspective is that this life is always only temporary and that the purpose of this life is to perfect the inner us in preparation for the reality of our eternal existence.

Last night around midnight the family was called to the hospital... Paul had taken a turn for the worse. Around 3am Nicole said they had stabilized him for the time being. Sometime after 3am, Julie said he was still somewhat stabilized and hanging in there.

Today at 9:30am Nicole said he had once again taken a turn for the worse. He has been put on a dialysis machine. The doctors and family had agreed that if his heart stops they are not going to try to resuscitate him.

I apologize for not having better details, but as you can expect, everyone is quite upset.

Hugs to all,
Kim

Chuck,

Hang in there buddy. I'll try to ring you later on this week/weekend to see how you're holding up.

You, Paul, and all the folks up there are in my conscious constantly...and I hope like hell Raff pulls through this.

Much love, Chuck.
Blaine

TO ALL,
Please read carefully. I just got off the phone (29 Apr 04, 1 pm EST) with Kim Turner (who had just gotten off the phone with Nicole) and Paul is still alive and fighting for his life.

As his friends, let's please be respectful of his family and not spread any rumors.

All the love and vibes still need to be heading to him.

Tim T.
Team Paraclete

It pains me to tell you that Paul has passed away today at 4:05pm EST. He had been fighting hard since late last night. The damage to his lungs was just too severe to sustain his oxygen level. The doctors recommended they back off on the medications and let nature take its course.

I'll keep you posted w/ the funeral arrangements. I'm sorry I am unable to further/better elaborate... this is just too painful.

Kim and Scott Rhodes

Paul, you and your brother have always been an insperation to me. To see him come to the DZ, he always had a smile on his face. He was always willing to lend his advise to a young jumpere and never acted like he was to good for anyone.

My heart goes out to Alexa, Bill, Nicole, and the rest of his family.

I know i will see him again one day.

BSBD
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

No words as I sit here at my desk at work fighting tears. I only knew Paul for a short while, but I could see what kind of person he was in that short time. He will live on in the hearts and minds of all who knew or met him.

There is no limit to what you can do, Paul. You'll be missed here.

Chuck, thanks. For everything.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

My thoughts and prayers are with each and every one of Paul's family and friends.

Chuck... I love you.

Paul... I'm sorry I never got to know you. Fly free. I hope to meet you when I get there.

:(

I can only nod my head in agreement.

To all of Paul's family and friends, our deepest sympathies.

Chuck, be strong bro, we too love you.

And Paul? I miss you, even though I never met you there is another hole in my heart tonight.

People have said that Paul was always eager to help new jumpers and share the knowledge that he had. I am an example of that very thing. I myself was a new jumper that was touched by Paul. My heart goes out to his family as well as my most sincere condolences.
Blue skies Raff and may you fly free forever...

Alicia
the ebb and flow of the atlantic tides; the drift of the continents; the very position of the sun alone, its ecliptic; THESE are just a few of the things I control in my world

Kim...God Bless you for keeping us posted. You did a wonderful service to us all.

Paul...I was honored to have met you and blessed that you smiled at me and treated me as a friend; if only for a short time. I will NEVER forget you. Fly free.

Bill and Nicole...I love you two so much and my heart weeps for you. Know that he is free and smiling down. He was a lovely man.

Alexa...be brave. Your dad was a GREAT man and it is rare that ANY one is loved as much as he. His love will live in you always. Know that you, my dear, have friends all over the world.

Friends all over the world...I'm holding your hand right now. I'm sure you feel it. Blue skies and peace. ~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!