kturner

PAUL RAFFERTY UPDATE - please reserve for news

Attn Fellow Skydivers:

This is Kim Turner, wife of Scott Rhodes and good friend of Paul. My husband was up there with Paul when the incident took place. Here is what happened:

Apparently, a group of skydivers had purposely set fire to a car in celebration of Cross Keys season opening. One guy was successful at jumping over the car. Paul wasn't. Paul slipped and fell into the car through the front windshield. I believe the windshield was already busted. He managed to get out on his own, completely ingulfed in flames. A couple of people ran over to help him & I believe one received a minor burn on his wrist while assisting. Paul was coherent enough to say, "call Alexa (his daughter) and take care of my family". He was air lifted to the nearest burn unit in PA. His condition got worse the 1st night at the hospital. 98% of his body was burned (60% 3rd degree, 40% 2nd degree). The only part of him that was not burned was a small area on his chest and foot. He has been put in an induced coma. His whole family is there with him, including his daughter Alexa. He had "crashed" again Sunday morning, but he has since remained stable.

I am staying in close contact with his family. Those who want updated info can email me and I will respond as quickly as possible. I am working with Bill (his brother) and organizing much needed donations for the family. Paul is unable to receive flowers, so any donations in leiu of flowers would be greatly appreciated. For those who are interested in donating directly to the family, you can contact me and I will supply you with the info. (I don't want to post Pauls moms contact info). PLEASE put "Paul Rafferty" in the subject line of the email. That way I don't accidentally spam you since I'm getting so many unfamiliar emails.

I will check back as often as possible, but most of my time is/has been spent on the phone.

Thank you everyone for your support and prayers!!!

Kim Turner
[email protected]

Will add him to my prayers but wtf where they thinking? I hope no one else tries this stunt.:( Fire is bad juju....:(

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I have also sent the following update in a mass email:

Thank you again to everyone!! I am deeply touched by the tremendous response I have received thus far.

I just spoke w/ Bill and he has asked that I give the latest update:

Paul's condition has worsened, but he is still stable. Right now, his lungs are causing the most serious problems. Due to swelling and fluid intake, he has put on an additional 100lbs. The next 60 hours are going to be the most critical. Initially, the Dr. would not allow Alexa to see her dad because of the condition of his face and body. However, because Paul has taken somewhat of a turn for the worse, Alexa was allowed to visit with him this morning. I spoke to Alexa yesterday and she is standing strong just like her dad. Please continue to keep your thoughts and prayers with Paul and his family.

Right now Bill is spending all of his time with Paul and has been unable to return calls. He wants everyone to know that he appreciates all the support he's been receiving and that you all are keeping him strong. He has also asked that everyone please be patient with him and the amount of time it takes for him to return calls.

Thank you again for all your support!
Kim Turner

OH MY GOD!! I am shocked, stunned, and horrified this has happened!!

I met P.Raff a couple of times on my visits to Raeford and he is a top guy. I've yet to meet anyone who has anything negative to say about him.

My most sincere condolences go out to his family and I will be definately be thinking of him and his family through this very difficult time. My heart is with the Raeford family while they go through this.

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

To Bill, Alexa and all Pauls family & friends,

You are all in my thoughts. If ever there was a man strong enough and focused enough to get through this it would be Paul.

He has been my friends for 20 years, and my heart felt condolonces goes out to you all.

Hang in there buddy

Bushman

The following has also been sent in the latest mass email:

To all:

Forgive me for my writing... right now my head is a little screwy and I'm not thinking too clearly. And I am also unfamiliar w/ medical terms. Sorry.

Paul's blood pressure has lowered the past few hours. The swelling is putting a lot of pressure on his heart and lungs. Tomorrow they will be inserting a "green filter" to help w/ blood clots and such. He will also be going into surgery first thing tomorrow morning. Please be aware that I will update everyone as soon as I hear from Bill. If you don't hear from me then no news is good news.

Thank you all for everything! I have received nearly 200 emails, along with several phone calls, PM's, IM's etc. There are so many people who right now are doing wonderful things for the family. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and assistance! And thank you to everyone who has offered to help me personally. Myself, the family and all of Raff's buddies appreciate how much this community has done for him!

Blue Skies!
Kim Turner

I received the following PM from a Level 1/trauma RN. She is not one of Pauls nurses, but she was able to better explain some of what Paul may be going through. I thought others may also find this a bit more enlightening:

"Yes, the coma..is chemically induced along with sedation. Our bodies heal better when we are at complete rest. In light of the trauma he has experienced, there isn't any humanly way he could stay awake for this part of recovery.

The swelling is due to trauma and due to the burns. The body is getting a mixed signal because it has lost so much fluid that was held in the tissues. This mixed message tells the cells to replace what is lost. Hopefully, his trauma team is working on taking this fluid off without adding to the mixed signals already in place. Blood pressure is low for the same reason. He has very little volume for a blood pressure at all. There are drugs I am sure they are using, to help combat this. In fact, the goal at this point is to help his body find a balance with the trauma he has experienced. This changes every 5 minutes with someone at his level. Every detail must be looked at and evaluated and adjusted. And despite how hard they are working,,,it can stay out of the health team's reach to fix. I pray not but it is possible.

His burns are beyond serious. In that you have to have healthy tissue to help the burned tissue heal. Hopefullym because he has a mix of different level of burns he will have more than a fighting chance. But it is a very long road ahead of him.

Another thing that people can do...is help the staff that is helping Paul. Don't call the unit or the hospital. Instead, someone locally can make a basket of snack foods and keep it filled. I know when I work this hard I don't stop to eat. I rarely even go to the bathroom. I stayed focused on what I can do to stay ontop of what is going on. Firemen are very good at understanding this concept. They take care of the nurse's really well so that we can take care of their friend."

i am so very sorry. i have known Paul for 20+ years. he is one of those incredible human beings that emits great energy and light. i pray that his source of energy sees fit to pull him threw and allow us the pleasure of his presence for many more years. much love to him and his family

peace

mike

Very bad news, indeed. I have known Paul for about ten years. Although I have been better friends with his brother, Bill. While this type pf thing would not be out of character for Bill, it is very odd to hear of Paul in such a bad situation. They are both really great guys and I wish the very best for both. Please extend my most sincere regrets and my prayers for his recovery.

-Matthew

Thank you SO much Kim for what you are doing for Paul and his extended "sky" family.

His piercing blue eyes and million watt smile are firmly affixed in my brain as I summon energy to help him, his immediate family, you and the rest of his extended family through this. As Betsy said "hey handsome" is right on the money!

Running over burning cars. Fuck.

hugs
kate

Kim,

This is SO upsetting. I had Bill on my mind this afternoon and called him right after dinner and left him a cheery 'how ya doin' buddy' kind of message. He was on my mind ALL day long and I didn't think anything was wrong.

I'm just logging on. Thank you for keeping us up to date. I met Paul in Raeford and he IS a very nice man and I'm so sorry that this happened to him. I called Nicole on her cell & left a message then called Bill back and apologized for being so 'chipper'...and I pray that they will ALL come thru this as best they can.
There are no words to describe how I feel right now. Everyone be careful and take care of yourselves. Love~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!