paracommander

Clean Lines?

I've been doing some research on the physical properties of spectra lines and there seems to be no evidence showing that cleaning them with bleach would cause damage. One report I read reported that some mfgr's soak lines in nitric acid for a long period of time and had only a 0.2% loss in tensile strength. This also stands true for vectran lines as far as i know. I would just like to get some feedback from any in-the-know out there and perhaps someone who has tried doing it.

If you want clean lines, buy a new set.

Line dirtiness is a crude way of measuring their condition.
Since lines both wear out the quickest in the desert and get dirtiest the quickest in the desert, it is logical that the dirtiest lines are worn the worst.
Ergo, that they need to be replaced anyways.

Could anyone follow that grammar?????

Look at the lines for signs of wear. Abrasion, shrinking, frayed threads, etc can all be looked for. Discoloration of the lines happens even if you pack indoors.

If the lines are getting worn, they need replaced.

Don't bother cleaning the lines. All lines get dirty.

Bleach does funny things to materials. Put bleach on polyporoline and it will melt it if allowed on for long enough. Bleach on Nylon and it will melt holes on some types, others it does nothing to.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, I still wouldn't trust that, but I'm no rigger or chemist. Just someone who finds that bleach is the best way to disintegrate clogs in his busted old bathtub.

If my lines are so dirty that they're unsightly then it's time to think about how many jumps I've put on them.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

One report I read reported that some mfgr's soak lines in nitric acid for a long period of time and had only a 0.2% loss in tensile strength.

Nitric Acid? B| I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near something I didn't want to destroy. Bad stuff that Nitric acid....

I wouldn't even feel comforable with soap and water. Yeah you might flush some sand but you're also hydrating and dehydrating materials. Again, I'm no rigger or chemist but am interesting in a technically based response to my assumptions. Maybe a bit of water is just what it would take to keep a piece of dirt from eroding a brake line that would otherwise break at just the wrong time.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Yeah. That`s all about using high-tech and mysterious material for building skydiving equipment. They not going to be damaged by getting wet, but you should not wash them by yourself. You know a dirty and never cleaned container last longer and even burns better after use of 20 years than one washed and cleaned ever 2nd or 4th year..... ;)