riggerrob

Horizontal trainers

Who has the best horizontal trainer?
I have used a variety of horizontal trainers to introduce freefall skills to students. Some worked better than others.
For example, students instinctively climbed onto the wrong end of the horizontal trainer they had in California City.
On the other hand, the hammock they had in East Troy was very comfortable for teaching AFF. Their hammock had a bunch of handles Velcroed onto the hammock and a hole by their face so they could practice reading a chest-mounted altimeter. It felt natural to lay face down in their hammock and "relax" in to an arch.

Suggestions?

Photos?

We use commercially produced trainers. They're molded plastic, sitting up on a 3 foot high frame...keeps the JM from having to lay on the ground for the student to get the right picture. They also rotate around a center point for turnsB|
I've also used a simple creeper, does the same thing.

I've always been of the opinion that whatever you use for a Horizontal Trainer SHOULD NOT put the student into the perfect body position. I'd rather force the student to put themselves into the position rather than have them assume that all they have to do is hang out and their body position will be ok. Yes, they complain and it's a bit of work for them, but that's how we train muscle memory. Every AFF/I out there knows what happens if you don't drill your students hard on body position...you go for a ride.

IMO, a trainer should help the student's body position, but not do it for them.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."