billvon

Happy longest day everyone

Happy longest day of the year to all you northern hemisphere people! Make sure to get outside for at least a little while today to enjoy all the sun. It won't be long before the days start getting shorter and shorter (and I have to bike home in the dark again.)

Happy longest day of the year to all you northern hemisphere people! Make sure to get outside for at least a little while today to enjoy all the sun. It won't be long before the days start getting shorter and shorter (and I have to bike home in the dark again.)

What is that thing you speak of....

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Redmond+WA+USWA0367

Oh yeah, I thought it was yesterday :o:)
Our sun is being quite vicious, 105F temps with about 80% humidity and up to 25 mph winds ;)

but I do love summer and I love it being light outside at 6am and dark until after 9pm....

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Yes, it won't be long . . . less than a day I should think!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You mean we have more than 24 hours today?! Woooohooo! Finally!

:P:D
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Yay summer solstice! Light a bonfire and dance nekid in true tradition!

Hokey Dokey - but I'm thinking the Homeowner's Association is going to have something to say about this. At least I have a privacy fence.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I've been up since 4, rebuilt a shock, and installed it on a mountain bike, then rebuilt the brakes on the same bike...all before the sun came up... Now I have to finish rewiring my wifes 47 harley, and once that is done, tear my 42 harley (the one in my avatar) down to a bare frame for some welding, yep...this is going to be one long day!

I've been up since 4, rebuilt a shock, and installed it on a mountain bike, then rebuilt the brakes on the same bike...all before the sun came up... Now I have to finish rewiring my wifes 47 harley, and once that is done, tear my 42 harley (the one in my avatar) down to a bare frame for some welding, yep...this is going to be one long day!

I started driving in Venice Italy, the scenic route...to Frankfort Germany, dropped the car & then flew to Newark where I finished off the vodka at the P-club then back on a bird home into Houston...a rather L O N G day! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I started driving in Venice Italy, the scenic route...to Frankfort Germany, dropped the car & then flew to Newark where I finished off the vodka at the P-club then back on a bird home into Houston...a rather L O N G day! :S

My day woudl have ended right there!:ph34r:

Yup! Tomorrow, the days get shorter by approx. one minute till Dec. 21st. When the days get longer by a minute. All that aside, I'd still, like to kick Ben Franklin in the butt for ever coming-up with daylight savings. Put the time back the way it should be!

Chuck

It sure seems shorter way down here in San Diego.

you should try it here at 32 degrees South Lattitude:D:D

On a brighter note, WE are on our way to Spring :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

All that aside, I'd still, like to kick Ben Franklin in the butt for ever coming-up with daylight savings. Put the time back the way it should be!

If you lived north (or south) of 40 degrees, I'm sure your mind would change on that one.

In queensland australia they don't do daylight savings, most of it is in the tropics so there is no need for it, in a temperate climate it becomes more useful as there is no need for daylight hours at 4:30am in the summer, but at 9:30 pm it becomes alot more useful.

Texas is only 25-29 degrees north so you would not see the need for it, ask your mates up in Alaska what they reckon!

Interestingly franklins birthplace was Boston and that is at 42 and a bit degrees north which is only 1 degree north of where I am. It currenly gets dark here at about 4:45pm

In summer with daylight savings it will get dark here at about 10pm, so over a 6 hour difference.

In tanzania on the equator they actually set thier time to the sunrise and sunset.

Saa moja siku kiswahili ( one oclock/the first hour of daylight in swahili) = 7am

Saa moja usiku kiswahili (one oclock/the first hour of darkeness in swahili) = 7pm

The sun rises around 7am and sets around 7pm all year round there. A slight variation but not much.

The relevance of daylight savings depends on you geograpical location.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

you should try it here at 32 degrees South LattitudeLaughLaugh

or 43 degrees!

I'm loving the winter, sure its cold, it was minus 20 yesterday at altitude, but good windstopper gear and you're all good.

My new snowboard boots should arrive today and the ski fields are beginning to open, the lakes freezing...

Winter is gooooood!!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

All that aside, I'd still, like to kick Ben Franklin in the butt for ever coming-up with daylight savings. Put the time back the way it should be!

If you lived north (or south) of 40 degrees, I'm sure your mind would change on that one.

In queensland australia they don't do daylight savings, most of it is in the tropics so there is no need for it, in a temperate climate it becomes more useful as there is no need for daylight hours at 4:30am in the summer, but at 9:30 pm it becomes alot more useful.

Texas is only 25-29 degrees north so you would not see the need for it, ask your mates up in Alaska what they reckon!

The way I see it, it's supposed to be dark at 8:00 P.M. and the sun should come-up about 5:30 - 6:00 A.M. Besides that, it's still hot at 9:00P.M.
As for Alaska, they're going to be dark six months out of the year anyhow. I just don't care for daylight savings time!

Chuck

you should try it here at 32 degrees South LattitudeLaughLaugh

or 43 degrees!

I'm loving the winter, sure its cold, it was minus 20 yesterday at altitude, but good windstopper gear and you're all good.

My new snowboard boots should arrive today and the ski fields are beginning to open, the lakes freezing...

Winter is gooooood!!!

I live in Perth all we get is cold and occasional rain:ph34r: Well not REAL cold just Perth cold
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I live in Perth all we get is cold and occasional rain:ph34r: Well not REAL cold just Perth cold

Sooooo... does that mean the women there get Perthy nipples? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Already? But... but... it feels like summer's only just started. In fact, it feels like no time at all since I was celebrating the shortest day.

Be nice if we could slow this stuff down a bit.

They keep talking about introducing double British summer time. I'd vote for that.

but I do love summer and I love it being light outside at 6am and dark until after 9pm....

We're getting just over 17 hours of sunlight today. Sunrise at 504am, sunset at 1007pm.

:)

I'd get even more sleep deprived if I lived there :S

I find it difficult to sleep when there is daylight burning, not enough time in every day to do what needs to be done anyhow.
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Even with DST in Texas, I still remember it being dark around 7:30-8:00 on the summer evenings.

In tanzania on the equator they actually set thier time to the sunrise and sunset.
The sun rises around 7am and sets around 7pm all year round there. A slight variation but not much.

It's very true that the day length doesn't vary when you live on the equator. All that changes is the arc of the sun. If fact, it's straight overhead during the equinoxes, in Spring and Fall. It's funny that sunrise is called "7 am". By definition, I would call it "6 am" so when the sun was at its zenith it would be "12 noon". In Tanzania, solar noon comes at 1 pm. So, in a sense, they are on permanent daylight savings time, aren't they? ;) Hell, I'd move sunrise to 8-9 in the morning so I could sleep late every day.:P I enjoy skydiving down close to the Equator. Sundown falls like an anvil at 6 or so every evening. Time to party with your friends.B|

It used to be common practice for each town to set their clocks for local solar noon. As you traveled East or West, the local time would change, a few minutes either way. As the railroads spread and experienced trouble trying to run schedules through such a mess, they lobbied congress to establish the time zones we use today. :)

I remember, when I was a kid, some of the legislation regarding day light savings time. The Agricultural Professors at Texas A & M were worried that the extra hour of daylight would burn the crops. :P Did you see this one, AggieDave?:P