bkoch

Sigma Tandem

Hey,

I heard at the DZ this past Friday that the Sigma Tandem design has made Tandem jumping much much safer. I was just wondering if all Tandem systems from all manufacturors have made the safety updates that the Sigma has on it?

Brad

The Sigma stands alone as the safest tandem rig on the market.

Edit: The Sigma isn't just a few upgrades or changes to amke is safer, it is a completely new design with the safety features built into the design. Most of them couldn't be retrofitted to other designs.

Derek

I was just wondering if all Tandem systems from all manufacturors have made the safety updates that the Sigma has on it?

No, since they are patented. Normal business practice, nothing wrong with it.

.....?
That makes no sense to me. The three ring release and throw out pilot chute are also patented, but nearly every system today has them now. If the Sigma Tandem design is the best and safest design why don't other manufacturors pay the owner of the patent and update their systems?

B

The Sigma stands alone as the safest tandem rig on the market.

I would say that it stands alone as the tandem rig with the most simple emergency procedures, but I would never call any rig (tandem or sport) the safest. Some rigs that were considered safe (and perhaps by some, the safest) were later modified due to a problem that was unanticipated (hard housings in risers comes to mind). I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true of the Sigma. A tandem instructor who endeavours to always improve his abilities and knowledge is much safer than a change in the design of the gear he is using ever can be these days.
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin.
options: it does a body good.

That makes no sense to me. The three ring release and throw out pilot chute are also patented, but nearly every system today has them now. If the Sigma Tandem design is the best and safest design why don't other manufacturors pay the owner of the patent and update their systems?

It isn't as easy as just updating their system. The Sigma is a completely new design with features that can't be retrofitted into other rigs.

Derek

A tandem instructor who endeavours to always improve his abilities and knowledge is much safer than a change in the design of the gear he is using ever can be these days.

A TI with a Sigma on their back is safer than the same TI with any other tandem rig on their back, all others things being equal.

That there *might* be issues with the rig down the road does not mean it isn't currently the safest tandem rig on the market. There could be issues with other rigs down the road also, no way to predict that sort of thing and doesn;t affect how safe the rig is now since these issues may not even exist.

Derek

There is more info in the Sigma at http://www.relativeworkshop.com/pdt_sigma.html . That tells you a little about why it claims to be so much safer.

As far as why the other manufacturers aren't using that design...talk to Bill Booth at Relative Workshop. This is his baby, as was the 3-ring system. He has some interesting experiences from sharing your patents with others. It's an interesting case study...and in case you're thinking it, the desicion isn't just about making money on your inventions.

Hey,

I heard at the DZ this past Friday that the Sigma Tandem design has made Tandem jumping much much safer. I was just wondering if all Tandem systems from all manufacturers have made the safety updates that the Sigma has on it?

Brad

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes and no.

Yes, Sigmas are safer than other tandem rigs, but no, it is difficult to transfer Sigma technology to other rigs.
Other tandem manufacturers have not updated their rigs to Sigma standards because tandems are "systems" and a change to any single component affects a dozen other components.

The other reason Bill Booth has not licensed Sigma technology to other manufacturers is that he is just "giving it" sewing silver Sigmas for the military. Next door, Performance Designs had to set up an extra production line, solely to sew silver canopies for all those shiny new silver Sigmas.

The greatest difference between Sigma and every other tandem rig is the drogue release. All the other tandem rigs (including Vector 1 and Vector 2 from the Relative Workshop) use 3-Rings to attach their drogues to their harnesses. Sigma is unique because its drogue is held by the main closing loop. So adapting Sigma technology to other tandem rigs would require designing completely new main containers, plus modifying a dozen other components. All those other components work together as a "system."