nigel99

Helmet Thoughts

I am looking at getting a new helmet on a relatively limited budget of £100 to £250 (that is a £600 ARAI is not an option).

I currently have an old Shoe (about 12 years old) and it has been bashed around and abused enough that it probably wouldn't do any good if neededB|

I am leaning towards a Shark Evoline that has the integrated sun visor and the "flip face" http://www.shark-evoline.com/English.html as I don't like having to take my lid off when putting fuel (the R6 seems to be very thirsty!) and I never remember sun-glasses so the integrated sun-visor is attractive.

The biggest negative so far is that the sales man in the shop warned about noise on the convertible helmets, however the other sales guy uses one and loves it (and he recommended the shark over the Shoe convertible from personal experience).

Any other thoughts and experiences? I am not going with a tinted visor due to the law here, in case anyone thinks I am not aware of them.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

First you ought to figure out which one fits your head better; Arais tend to favor heads that are narrow side-to-side, and my experience with Shoeis said that they favored ones that are flat on the forehead :ph34r:. HJC (believe it or not) is the best for my head based purely on shape. It's just the right degree of snug nearly every point on my head, while the others have loose spots.

My husband bought a flip-up; it's kind of heavy, and it doesn't fit him as well as his Arai, so he never wears it any more.

As far as noise, wouldn't know -- I wear ear plugs on the bike as well as while skydiving :)
Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

First you ought to figure out which one fits your head better; Arais tend to favor heads that are narrow side-to-side, and my experience with Shoeis said that they favored ones that are flat on the forehead :ph34r:. HJC (believe it or not) is the best for my head based purely on shape. It's just the right degree of snug nearly every point on my head, while the others have loose spots.

My husband bought a flip-up; it's kind of heavy, and it doesn't fit him as well as his Arai, so he never wears it any more.

As far as noise, wouldn't know -- I wear ear plugs on the bike as well as while skydiving :)
Wendy P.

I wear earplugs when riding motorways but not on the short hop to the office.

I think the bike shop had HJC flip-ups but the guys warned that they are "very" flexible and tended to not standup to much wear and tear.

I previously took the view that I didn't care about the brand of helmet much and bought a low end one about £50, that lasted about 3 months before the grab plate on the visor broke and it would flip up on the motorway (usually timed with the biggest nastiest bug being in the area!)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The flip up visor has gotten better on the HJC

If you like the fit & price of HJC try KBC or O'Neal 707

The best time to buy a helmet is the winter time when few people are buying & the gear stores are trying to get rid of last years inventory.

thanks - regarding waiting till winter my visor is knackered and pretty much unusable (I now ride with it permanently up so I can see where I am going). I can't really wait 4 or 5 months unless I special order a visor replacement (expensive due to the age of my helmet).

The flip up visor has gotten better on the HJC

If you like the fit & price of HJC try KBC or O'Neal 707

The best time to buy a helmet is the winter time when few people are buying & the gear stores are trying to get rid of last years inventory.

thanks - regarding waiting till winter my visor is knackered and pretty much unusable (I now ride with it permanently up so I can see where I am going). I can't really wait 4 or 5 months unless I special order a visor replacement (expensive due to the age of my helmet).

I had a similar problem with a vent on my helmet. I talked to a friend of mine that is the manager for a local cycle gear store. She contacted the manufacturer & they sent me a replacement part for free.
Skymama stalker #69!!!!

Other than for Exit...why wear a helmet?[:/]

IF I exit my bike I NEED that helmet! Besides it is the law over here!

How often ya get to jump your bike out of a plane?

I started skydiving right after the helmet law came into effect here in Cal, and was enjoying the freedom of wind in what little hair I hav left..So what do I end up doing? Filming skydivers!:D fullface (custom made,, I made it, rear entry,) helmet ....[:/]