Iceburner

should i sell my gear???

so, long story short...i have almost 1000 jumps in a fairly short amount of time....although i've been in the sport for about 4+ years, the military has taken about 2+ years away from jumping. I'm about to go on another deployment (just got off a 7 month deployment, followed by a 3 month re-deployment (Haiti)) and i'm sick of seeing my Icon with Saber 120 sitting in the corner of my room...let alone my video equipment....just wondering if i should sell it all and buy new gear when i return, or store it again and hope not to deploy quickly upon return. The thought of selling my gear literally makes me sick, but the thought of not jumping and letting it sit isn't much better. I will be lucky to get a handfull of jumps in the next few months before i deploy, then it's 6 to 7 (i.e. almost 12) months before i return. Any advice is welcome....especially if you want to buy some gear (saber 2, 120...PD 150 reserve, ICON harness, PC 105 with bonehead optic, HC 5 with 2K composit, Rebel XTI and mounts)....i miss jumping whenever i want [:/][:/]B|[:/]:|

Selling your gear will only encourage you NOT to jump..

The money you will get from it will disappear fast and it might be difficult for you to save it up again.

Keep it unless you're sure you don't want to jump anymore.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Plus you can NOT pretend to do "professionnal" outside video with that. It is a good complement for innovative/different angles, but it is NOT enough in my opinion to do an outside Tandem vid, or outside formation video.

yeah nah, don't sell the rig bit sell the camera gear while it is still worth something.

Those cameras are almost obsolite but still in use in many places

It is easy to get camera gear and you can still jump without it.

like someone above said you are less likely to jump without gear...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

If you have an AAD that has a designated lifespan, sell it. It is just losing money. Buy a new one when you get back. Keep the rest of the gear. It has already depreciated the most and replacing it will be expensive.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

As others have said.. sell the parts that have a lifespan or are decreasing in value like the AAD, the cameras and the parts associated with them like Dboxes, etc. Its getting harder to find people that want a PC105 so sell it while it has some value. The HC5 is still used but lots of places have gone the route of the memory card cameras so Tape based is on its way out. sell those for some cash and put it back to buy the newest thing out when you get back. :)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

you could loan it to me, ill make sure every thing works great when you get back B|

seriously tho, keep it, unless you really intend to quit. this shit aint cheap. why buy brand new gear all over again if the stuff you have now is perfectly fine.

oh and sell the AAD though, no point in keeping that

Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Actually, that's what I was thinking. If you had someone you trusted who would jump it occassionally and keep it up, that might be an option.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Don't listen to any of the others! I have a nice crisp $20.00 dollar bill in my hand. Let's talk about taking that gear off your hands!;) Trust me!

Seriously, I went thru the almost the same thing, but i sold. you will kick yourself in the butt everytime you think about skydiving if you sell. That is coming from experience till i bought other equipment. DO NOT SELL!

If you are going to stay in the sport keep it. It is real hard to get back in if you have to start over from scratch and cost you a lot more than you will get from selling your gear.

I got out of the sport for a few years, and had two rigs. I sold one, and kept the other... and I am so happy I did. I wouldn't be able to afford to be jumping right now if I had to start back over at square 1 (hehe, no pun intended).

thanks for all the advice. I probably wont get much for the PC 105, so i might just keep that for a momento or whatnot...my first "serious" camera set up. Will look into selling the HC 5 and helmet with it...Trust me, i do NOT want to get out of this sport. Just hate seein the gear sit in the bag/bin and go un-used. Thanks again for the advice.

thanks for all the advice. I probably wont get much for the PC 105, so i might just keep that for a momento or whatnot...my first "serious" camera set up. Will look into selling the HC 5 and helmet with it...Trust me, i do NOT want to get out of this sport. Just hate seein the gear sit in the bag/bin and go un-used. Thanks again for the advice.

KEEP IT. (but give it to me to make sure its still jumpable, ill even get it inspected before i give it back ;)lol)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.