skyblu3

Atom Container Questions

Hey,
I just acquired an Atom 00 from my friend who is no longer jumping. It is in very good condition with less than 300jumps. See pic.
I got it complete, for a real good price. Main canopy is a BT 140 and Tecno 120 reserve.
I have never owned PDF equipment before and I was just wandering what the comments are about this container etc..
Everything was manufactured in 96. Were any safety warnings issued for this equipment in the past years? The container has reversed risers, is this design ok? Would it be possible to switch them to standard risers, with riser inserts preferably??
It is cool to see how innovative PDF is. I've even got velcroless toggles - not bad for a container manufactured in 96.
Looking forward to your comments.

The container has reversed risers, is this design ok?

If I recall corectly, PDF's atoms are one of the few rigs made with reverse risers in mind (ie with the attachment point for the risers sitting a bit higher so that less clearance is required to cutaway).

That being said, reverse risers were a solution to a problem that was later solved with better construction techniques for regular risers.

300 jumps isnt a humongous amount of jumps on a set of risers, but, I would persoanlly switch them to regular risers anyways.

I'll et the Europeans comment on safety notices if there are any.
Remster

You don't list your number of jumps - so I hope you're comfortable with the wing loadings, particularly on the reserve.

The Atom can stay with the reverse risers, but as Remi has said, I'd replace them with "regular" risers next.

Enjoy your new gear!

t
It's the year of the Pig.

After a quick look through the Parachutes de France website I couldn't find any SB's that would apply to your rig. You might want to go through them in more detail yourself and/or with your rigger.

I jump an Atom Legend myself, and I've been very happy with it. That said, I just replaced the reverse risers with a set of Aerodyne Miniforce risers. Most non-reverse risers should work on your Atom. The Miniforce risers have additional things to consider when installing them on anything else than an Icon; check with your rigger.

From my knowledge there was an issue with risers not releasing when reversed/integrity risers came out. The problem was then solved by moving the placing the large ring higher up. (If I am not mistaken).

What I would like to know is whether my rig was from the first batch or from the amended batch.

According to my info PdF has never has an issue with the reversed risers.

Note: if you have risers with buttons on the toggles do not pull the toggles down to release this will damage the plastic part of the button. Instead give a pull to the back to release the toggles.

Ask instruction in folding the BT40. Folded incorrect will result in a big bang opening

If you want to replace the main canopy in the future. A stiletto 135 will fit the rig very wel.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

I have jumped an Atom for years and hundreds of jumps.

There is no problem in using reverse risers on them (providing they are maintained correctly, as with any other gear). You can change them to standard if you like, but on some rigs they don't sit quite so nicely due to the location of the big ring. I think that this is purely cosmetic and causes no problems should a cutaway arise, but you may want to check with a rigger first.

The PdF gear is generally very good. If your rig was made in '96 then there are a few mods that PdF have made to make it more suitable to freeflying etc, hence the Atom Millennium and Atom Legend. The BT canopy is pretty old and not jumped much any more, expect a "positive" opening as this is standard on all French gear made before about 2000.

Only used the Techno once, and I found it to do it's job well (opened on heading, flew straight and flared when I wanted it to).

The only downed with PdF is their customer service - they don't have any. Hope this helps

Blue skies

Paul

No such thing as a Techno 120, think you mean 128. Very good reserve.

The BT is an old elliptical canopy, with french openings (ie hard) and french steering (ie very very responsive).

The container will hold a 150 (tight), a 135 and a 120.

Americans don't like reversed risers, Europeans do. It's a european rig, the risers are ok. You can change them if you want but if they are in good condition you don't need to.

I've got an Atom 00 from '95, only thing I did was add a flap to protect the reserve a bit better ("crew flap"), cheap mod and done a lot here.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Miniforce risers have additional things to consider when installing them on anything else than an Icon

What sort of things?

I know that you have to make sure the cable housings are long enough, as the locking loop on the 3 ring system is higher up the riser. RSL's sometimes need adjusting too, though the LOR system on an Atom wouldn't be applicable anyway.

Just what I've been told...

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"