scruffy

Favorite beer.

I cant make up my mind which of the many beers i like is truly my favorite. of the mass produced types its probably. . . (in no particular order)

smithwicks
guinness
newcastle
bass
killians
and for the lighter beach type days
yuengling or landshark

but if im buying beer for the DZ everyone seems to be happy with a case of yuengling.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I am really into bourbon barrel-aged stouts right now.

Faves include

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Great Lakes Brewing Company's Bourbon Blackout Stout

Founder's Kentucky bourbon breakfast stout

oh, and anything from Belgium. :)

I'm a snob. Pathetic, but true. I can only think of washing my hands with light beer.

A good ale now and again is just what the Doc ordered in this kind of weather!
"Think like a man of action; act like a man of thought." -Henri L.
Bergson

>I guess i'll just stick to my lowly normal person beers. But at my DZ,
>these often go over quite well with the general poulation and are among
>my favorites.

Nothing wrong with that, but don't discount all the 'strange' beers just because they sound weird. Going to a local brewery and getting tasters of their beer is a pretty low cost, low risk way to see if there are other styles you like.

In your area there's Gulf Coast Brewing and Saint Arnold in Houston and a bunch of BJ's Pizza places (they make their own.)

For people that don't like "fancy beers", I try and find out what they don't like about them, and suggest beers that avoid those characteristics. Many are turned off by an extremely hopped IPA or the strong taste of a stout, but there are hundreds of high end beers that don't have those characteristics.

Of course give that same drinker a few months to really explore the expansive world of beer (starting safe with characteristics they enjoy already, like you said) and I'm pretty sure you can make a hophead out of them eventually. It has seemed to be teleological that a drinker will eventually head that direction given enough time to enjoy all beer has to offer
Peace, love and hoppiness

Thanks Scruffy, I like your attitude!

Billvon, Im not opposed to anything. There is a BJ's near me that I have tried all of their home brewed beers (they used to have a sampler that gives you a small glass of them all). And many of which I liked. I have also traveled the world a little bit and tried a variety of "foreign" beers. None of which I hate, a good beer is one in your hand. Just never got into the micro-brewery/conaisseur aspect of beer tasting.

Call me simple, or maybe its just my upbringing. I know for a fact its not a closed minded attitude by me, I just prefer more mainstream beers I guess. But I do enjoy trying them all. One of my favorites was a Turkish beer called Efes. Man that was good stuff. Anyways, cheers to all! Good topic.

-Matt

For commercial beers, I've been in a hoppy mood lately:
Pliny the Elder
Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
Boulder Beer Hazed and Infused
NB Ranger IPA
and my new favorite is Deschutes Hop in the Dark, a Cascadian Dark Ale. Hoppy goodness...

Otherwise, I have four batches of homebrew in the basement, so the fridge is usually stocked well with my own stuff.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Bud Light. I'm not afriad to say it.

Not often a beer drinker though.

My kinda girl!

I drink Bud Light when Im in the states, but always look forward to those stops in Germany when I can get a nice hefeweizen!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

but always look forward to those stops in Germany when I can get a nice hefeweizen!

You can buy good hefe's here in the states too!:P

My first experience with "micro" brews was at a white stripes concert at Redrock. The NB sunshine wheat was the best beer i had ever had in my life at that time. The same night i had a Boulder Hazed and Infuzed. It was a long time before i tried anything that was even mildly described as hoppy after that.:D Not even pale ale's. Now, i don't mind the occasional IPA, Hazed and infuzed, NB Ranger, etc. but i still don't prefer them.
Favorites: (in no particular order)
Avery White Rascal
Victory Golden Monkey
Pirat
Duvel
Harp Lager
Bass Ale
Pacifico
NBB Sunshine Wheat
NBB Skinny Dip
NBB Trippel
NBB Mothership Wit
Lone Star;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Hi Scruff,
All this talk about Beer got me thirsty!! 'Remberin' brews of daze gone by down New Orleans way, the "Big 3," "Falstaff, Jax and Regal!!" And ya' can't forget "Dixie" 'was still around till Katrina tore up the brewery!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Some of the beers I have been brining to the DZ.

Fat Tire
St Arnolds Amber
Weihenstephaner Korbinian
Shiner Bock
Newcastle

Austin micro brew Live Oak is very good and a Montana brew called Moose Drool by Big Sky Brewery is off the wall good!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Cobra
Rickard's Red
Guinness :)

Well, that makes two skychicks I know about who appreciate Guinness!:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.