scruffy

Favorite beer.

I see there have been a few of these threads before, but are kind of older and it seems micro/craft brewing has become infinitely more popular and accessible so things may have changed. So I'm curious DZ.com. What is your favorite beer today.

Myself? I'll drink anything, but at the moment I'm drinking a Terrapin Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

other favorites include

Petrus Aged Ale
Houblon Chouffe
Piraat Ale
St. B's abt 12
terrapins the dark side

Also I'm still pretty new to this skydiving thing, but the only qualification for satisfying your beer obligations at my DZ (or so I've been told) is that you bring in "24 bottles." With that in mind, what kinds of beer are more normal to be brought in when beer is owed. I'm a homebrewer and I'll have a batch of a DIPA done bottle conditioning when I get off AFF and a steam beer when I'm done getting my A license, but I'm curious what is normal to see in beer fridges at DZs
Peace, love and hoppiness

I see there have been a few of these threads before, but are kind of older and it seems micro/craft brewing has become infinitely more popular and accessible so things may have changed. So I'm curious DZ.com. What is your favorite beer today.

Arrogant Bastard (a very tasty and well balanced American strong ale) although I tend to drink mostly lighter beer in the summer; currently a mix of Racer Five IPA (a nice live ale, what Bridgeport aspires to be) and Anderson Valley ESB. Lagunitas and Bridgeport IPAs are backups due to being a little short on flavor. Blind Pig is my favorite IPA although I'm not partial to the $4 a pint price tag (for bottles from the store - the damage is a lot worse at a bar).

Also I'm still pretty new to this skydiving thing, but the only qualification for satisfying your beer obligations at my DZ (or so I've been told) is that you bring in "24 bottles." With that in mind, what kinds of beer are more normal to be brought in when beer is owed.

I only bring beer that I like to drink but include a six pack or two in the mix of something which won't offend the fizzy yellow beer drinkers too much - generally some form of amber or American pale ale.

Most skydivers subscribe to the free beer philosophy which is to say free beer is the best beer and don't get too particular about the specifics.

I'm a big fan of most Stone brews right now, especially the ruination double IPA.
I think as long as you don't bring anything in a can, you are alright. Maybe a 50/50 pale ale and good lager.

Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale is tasty and comes in cans that pass muster with the beach and pool police.

Old Speckled Hen, Murphy's Irish Stout, and Bodingtons are all excelent ales packaged in widget cans although you do need a proper pint glass to enjoy the contents.

Unless you're eating sushi (Asahi or Kirin won't poison your pallet) or hanging out in Germany/Mexico there isn't a good reason to drink lager (being stuck on a commercial flight where there's only canned Heineken is a bad but acceptable reason).

I understand the stigma about beer in cans. It brings up images of keystone and natty ice nights. But like you're saying, great beers can come in cans too. Founders brewery, arguably the best brewery in the US, serves several of its products in cans.

Also I'm glad to see two fellow "stoners" showing up early in the thread, I might have to make one of my oaked arrogant bastards the next brew for tonight.

Also I'm glad to see two fellow "stoners" showing up early in the thread, I might have to make one of my oaked arrogant bastards the next brew for tonight.

My wife gave me a 3 liter bottle of Oaked Arrogant Bastard for my birthday one year. Definitely tasty. More complex and flavorful but without going overboard like the double bastard.

Myself? I'll drink anything, but at the moment I'm drinking a Terrapin Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

other favorites include

Petrus Aged Ale
Houblon Chouffe
Piraat Ale
St. B's abt 12
terrapins the dark side

Also I'm still pretty new to this skydiving thing, but the only qualification for satisfying your beer obligations at my DZ (or so I've been told) is that you bring in "24 bottles." With that in mind, what kinds of beer are more normal to be brought in when beer is owed. I'm a homebrewer and I'll have a batch of a DIPA done bottle conditioning when I get off AFF and a steam beer when I'm done getting my A license, but I'm curious what is normal to see in beer fridges at DZs

Hi Scruff,
"Homebrew??" Did you say,"Homebrew???" Buddy, jez bring it on!! Sounds "FINE!!" to me!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I did indeed say homebrew, and I hope the people at Skydive Atlanta share your enthusiasm for my concocted libations once I actually do something warranting getting my name up on the beer wall.

Hi Scruff,
Ya' don't even have ta' get your name on the "Beer Wall" ta' drag out some of yer brew for a "Taste Test!!" As the saying goes,"Do your part to save the Earth, It's the only Planet with "BEER!!" yer doin' fine!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

With coatings inside the can, it is just as good of a vessel as a bottle, but you get my drift. An ale in a can huh? That is a new one.
Oh, Sapporo is the preferred beverage with sushi, fyi ;)
Also you are correct, all I drink is ales, I can hardly handle a lager. Although there ARE some good examples out there. Germany has a couple tasty ones, but right now my fav is the Nobel Pils by Sam Adams. I usually fucking hate pilsners, but this one has enough hops, and lacks that sickly sweet body of your traditional pils.

Can't wait for summer to be over with so my hop plants start budding. It is exactly like growing pot, but legal. My house is going to smell like a keg of IPA exploded :):):):):)

>What is your favorite beer today.

IPA - Aprihop by Dogfish Head
Lawnmower beer - McMenamin's Ruby
Stout - Swooper Stout
Sour - Duck Duck Gooze
Barrel aged - 2008 Angel's Share

>With that in mind, what kinds of beer are more normal to be brought in
>when beer is owed.

Whatever I have in my fridge. Skydiver Blonde is always popular. Bigway Brown went over pretty well.

Wow! I was all ready to post on this one but after reading everyones replies and not having the slightest clue as to what anyone is talking about (outside of the Shiner, I understand that AggieDave!), I guess i'll just stick to my lowly normal person beers.

But at my DZ, these often go over quite well with the general poulation and are among my favorites.

Dos Equis Lager
Landshark

But I like to drink Lone Star Beer, because anything else is considered treason! :P

I guess i'll just stick to my lowly normal person beers.

There's nothing lowly about beers outside of the craft/micro scene. There is a reason why they still hold the majority share of business in America and rightfully so with how the history of adjunct lagers has meshed itself into our culture and become as American as apple pie.

I may have misrepresented myself posting somewhat esoteric brews in my introductory post, but I can still throw back high lifes and bud diesels with the best of them, and there's nothing wrong with stocking a fridge with adjuncts if that's the flavor you like.

Respect beer.