Nataly

I want a bigger bike..

Please keep the 250.

The folks polling for the R6 are not helping!! You have only been riding for a VERY short period and I can't believe that you have learned the road craft yet.

But Hey, I'm just an old fart.......

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Please keep the 250.

The folks polling for the R6 are not helping!! You have only been riding for a VERY short period and I can't believe that you have learned the road craft yet.

But Hey, I'm just an old fart.......

Nah.. The R6 just seems like overkill, and plus I can't imagine it's extremely comfortable either.. Someone mentioned visibility as well.. Basically, I don't think it's the right bike for commuting..

I didn't like how high or heavy the Bandit 650 was, but overall I felt a whole lot safer with it on the motorways.. Ideally, I would like something that's still pretty small and light, but with just a bit more acceleration than the 250cc / 33bhp.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Just lowering the back REALLY fucks it up. Not lowering the front will make it handle like a tank. If you lower the back, the forks should be raised so the front is still level. This is very common with SV. Lower the back, lower the front to match. The ride height should be lowered equally.

This also goes for the R6 and other bikes.

It's an easy task. Whoever adds the lowering link should know what to do with the front. Loosen 6 bolts, push the forks up evenly, tighten the bolts. It literally takes no more than 15 minutes to lower the front. The back will probably take less than an hour.

I miss my SV.

All that is true except you failed to mention when you push upo the forks you shortenc the wheelbase, making the steering more twitchy.
Nataly is not a track rider, she soes not need a more twitchy front end.
Lowering the rear with her weight will have little effect on the bikes handling. and a big effect on her ride comfort.
I'd leave the front end alone.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

she does not need a more twitchy front end.

Can't really judge with knowing her better....:$>:(

Nope, I think Squeak had it right! :D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

From your poll, can't believe some people are saying you should get an R6.:S For your type of riding, an R6 is NOT the way to go. Have you thought of a Yamaha FZ6? I owned one. Great learner bike, plenty of power and the ergos were quite excellent.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006models-Yamaha-FZ6.htm

Edit to add: I should've read the entire thread before commenting. Looks like you've already decided against an R6.;)

Edit to add: I should've read the entire thread before commenting. Looks like you've already decided against an R6.;)

Yeah.. I put it in there because my ex kept saying it was a good idea, but in spite of the vote numbers, the majority of the advice given has strengthened my opinion that it's not what I'm looking for. Still good to get a range of points of view, though.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I know they may seem big. But it's all relative (work.)

When Boeing first test flew the new 747 the First Officer toured the cabin and when he sat back down next to the Captain he said, "Holy shit, have you any idea what's following us around back there?"

To which the Captain replied, "It's just another frigging airplane," right before he slammed the throttles home and rumbled down the runway . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrh98RpCHlM

NickD :)

Which one should I get?

I'm partial to mid-sized sport touring bikes. Comfortable riding position, hard luggage you can lock rain gear/shopping/skydiving rig (a Givi 50 liter case) inside, reasonable insurance because they're "mature people's bikes."

I bought a Triumph Sprint Executive 900 in 1998. While right-sized with a Union Jack on the fairing and sonorous exhaust note the quality control just wasn't there (first engine rebuild under warranty at 8000 miles).

I should have bought a BMW R-bike and would suggest looking at a used one.

Squeak, just for the record, I'm not talking about making a track bike or one to ride in the twisties at speed. It just simply handles correctly for the new ride height. :)
Nataly, good luck. If you're commuting, don't get a race bike. I ride a street legal race bike and quite honestly, I'd much rather have something a lot more comfortable.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The SV650 can be fitted with a lower fairing so it looks more like a 'full' sportbike, if that's your style.

Also, the V-twin is an easier motor to ride than an inline-4 in the 600 size. The four bangers will redline at 12k or 14k, and won't make much power at all below 9k or 10K, so you have to wind the shit out of it to make it fly. The v-twin is desgned to make power at lower RPMs, so it's more accesible.

Whatever bike you get, have the suspension tailored to your weight and height. Like Hook mentioend, a lowering link is available for the rear of just about any bike out there. It's a much better option than just backing off the preload until the back end drops down. The lowering link gets you the lower ride height, and retains all the performance of the shock.

For the front end, have lighter springs installed in the fork to suit your (light) weight. At this time, the shop can install a shorter preload spacer to drop the ride height. Moving the forks up in the clamps does work, but doing it right with new springs is the way to go.

Have a shop do the lowering work for you, and make sure they lower both ends the same amount. Dropping one more than the other will effect the balance of the bike, and screw up the handling. Make sure you save the old parts off the bike so you can return it to stock when you go to sell it.

A cut down seat is an easy lose an inch or two. Try to do a shorter seat combined with a slight suspension drop. The closer you can leave the suspension to the stock height the better, so use the seat for the first inch or so, and do the rest via the suspension.

Really, if you have a bike you can comfortable reach the ground with, and that has suspension tuned for your weight and height, just about any bike would be fine.

http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/10_F4.html

it's only 183 horsepower but I want one!

My GSXR 1127 is almost rehabbed, going to be very fast.

Made myself a custom stainless header and pipe, even larger flat slide carbs, I hope i can get decent mileage if I don't twist the throttle too much.

Should be well over 165hp at the rear wheel.

You should also consider a CBR600 (not the RR).

Comfortable, bombproof torquey engine, full fairing, available at all sorts of prices depending on how new you buy.

Good for a commuter bike as well as a weekend scratcher.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/10_F4.html

it's only 183 horsepower but I want one!

My GSXR 1127 is almost rehabbed, going to be very fast.

Made myself a custom stainless header and pipe, even larger flat slide carbs, I hope i can get decent mileage if I don't twist the throttle too much.

Should be well over 165hp at the rear wheel.

THEY NEVER STAY AWAY WHEN THE PROMISE THEY WILL:|

:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Which one should I get?

Just got my Ninja 250 back from the shop and after riding around on a Suzuki Bandit 650 for 3 weeks it feels like I've just done a jump with a student canopy!!!

So yeah.. Didn't especially like how heavy the bike was but overall, I liked having more power and acceleration & found it easy to ride.

Factors to consider include:
-I have to park it on the street, so I don't want anything too new
-Cost (incl. insurance)
-Most of my riding is commuting to work (on large highways)

I can't remember where you got to in your decision process, but this morning I was parked up next to an 09 reg CBR600RR. It looks like it would be a slightly better choice than the R6. Seating position is definately lower and the saddle is narrower by quite a bit - this would definately help with having your feet solidly on the ground. As much as it pains me to say it the bike also looked more "robust". Have a feel of the plastics, license plate holder etc on an R6 compared the RR. Still don't think it is an ideal choice for commuting though.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

DOn't go bigger than you will "need" for use.
my wife wants a bigger bike and feels my Triumph Rocket 3 Modified (2,300 cc) prostreet, is perfect for her. It's over kill even for me and beyond my GSXR. 600cc can be calm or crazy based on model. power isn't alway a good thing though. be safe and stay happy :)