Nataly

I want a bigger bike..

Which one should I get?

Just got my Ninja 250 back from the shop and after riding around on a Suzuki Bandit 650 for 3 weeks it feels like I've just done a jump with a student canopy!!!

So yeah.. Didn't especially like how heavy the bike was but overall, I liked having more power and acceleration & found it easy to ride.

Factors to consider include:
-I have to park it on the street, so I don't want anything too new
-Cost (incl. insurance)
-Most of my riding is commuting to work (on large highways)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

the yamy sure is fast, but probably wont be too comfortable to ride; the kawa comes in two version i think!? the naked one looks nice, and sure is relatively comfy..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Which one should I get?

Just got my Ninja 250 back from the shop and after riding around on a Suzuki Bandit 650 for 3 weeks it feels like I've just done a jump with a student canopy!!!

So yeah.. Didn't especially like how heavy the bike was but overall, I liked having more power and acceleration & found it easy to ride.

Factors to consider include:
-I have to park it on the street, so I don't want anything too new
-Cost (incl. insurance)
-Most of my riding is commuting to work (on large highways)

Don't get an R6 for commuting!! I like Yamaha as a brand. I don't know how tall you are but remember to take this into account.

If you like faired bikes then the Diversion is really nice and comfortable and plenty quick enough but relatively heavy. If you are looking for an older bike then the Fazer is good (my previous bike was a fazer). I also rode an FZ6 which is a naked bike from Yamaha that was very comfortable.

The R6 is brutal on your back and wrists in slow traffic and simply hates being at any speed less than about 70 and even that is only in 2 or 3rd gear! Visibility on the R6 is way down due to the riding position as well which makes it much harder to "feel" safe.

* Oh I forgot my insurance went from £150 a year for the fazer to £500 a year 3rd party on the R6 and I have 6 years no-claims on my bike.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The Kwak Er is a fine commuter bike or an SV650
either of those can be bought reasonably 2nd hand and either will serve you very well
I would lean more to the Suzuki SV but either will be fine
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

either of those can be bought reasonably 2nd hand and either will serve you very well

Theres always the Pan-European or Harley as options:o
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Ok.. Have looked at the specs.. Doesn't seem to be *huge* differences between the ER6 and SV, but SV seems quite reliable and more affordable..

Do you know if the seat can be lowered, though? It seems a lot higher than my Ninja and I'm only 5'5".. Not short, but not exactly tall..
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Don't get an R6 for commuting!! [...]

The R6 is brutal on your back and wrists in slow traffic and simply hates being at any speed less than about 70 and even that is only in 2 or 3rd gear! Visibility on the R6 is way down due to the riding position as well which makes it much harder to "feel" safe.

THANK YOU.. This confirms what I thought, but my friend (who has been riding for like 25 years) is getting an R1 and has been nagging me to get an R6.. I said *exactly* that to him, so it's nice hear it from someone else.

That said, if anyone has other opinions, do feel free to post so I can get a balanced view.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Don't forget comfort. A lot of the SuperSport bikes (Yami R's, Honda CBR's, Suzuki GSK-R's ect) sacrafice comfort for handling. The less aggressive ones (like the Bandit) are a lot more comfortable.

And I think you will be shocked by the insurance costs. I don't know specifics in Britain, but for me here in Wisconsin, the costs for a SS bike were almost double the lesser bikes.

I have a Katana 600. A bit heavier than a SS, not as fast (but good enough for me) and a hell of a lot cheaper; purchase price, insurance and maintenance.

Bandits are quite nice too, one was second on my list last year.

There's a bunch of forums out there for the different bike types. Look around and see what's out there.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Don't forget comfort. A lot of the SuperSport bikes (Yami R's, Honda CBR's, Suzuki GSK-R's ect) sacrafice comfort for handling. The less aggressive ones (like the Bandit) are a lot more comfortable.

And I think you will be shocked by the insurance costs. I don't know specifics in Britain, but for me here in Wisconsin, the costs for a SS bike were almost double the lesser bikes.

I have a Katana 600. A bit heavier than a SS, not as fast (but good enough for me) and a hell of a lot cheaper; purchase price, insurance and maintenance.

Bandits are quite nice too, one was second on my list last year.

There's a bunch of forums out there for the different bike types. Look around and see what's out there.

The Bandit is meant to be comfortable?? I didn't think it was! My Ninja is *way* more comfy, but that's probably because it's so small.. Also, I hated the engine cage, which my boot kept snagging on when I changed gears, but looking at pictures I'm not sure if that comes as standard..

The main thing I didn't like about the Bandit (apart from how ugly it is!!) was the weight.. Too heavy for me, although if the seat had been lower it might have been ok.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

The Bandit is meant to be comfortable?? I didn't think it was! My Ninja is *way* more comfy, but that's probably because it's so small.. Also, I hated the engine cage, which my boot kept snagging on when I changed gears, but looking at pictures I'm not sure if that comes as standard..

The main thing I didn't like about the Bandit (apart from how ugly it is!!) was the weight.. Too heavy for me, although if the seat had been lower it might have been ok.

If you thought the Bandit was uncomfortable, try an R6 or a GSX-R.
Although comfort is a very subjective thing. What's comfortable to me might be horrible to you and vice versa. Try sitting on (and riding if possible)a bunch of different ones to find what you like best.

Lowering usually isn't all that hard. Some suspensions can simply be adjusted to a lower position, others require changing out the link or the shock/spring unit. Usually only a couple hundred bucks. The bike forums will have a lot on doing stuff like that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

... so you're saying you want something larger and more powerful between your legs?

:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK7BYZ09zww

Hmm.. She's not gonna look so hot if she ever falls off that thing and gets a nasty road-rash.. She looks like a moron.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Which one should I get?

Ninja 250'a are in incredibly high demand these days. They are perfect for commuting, never mind the seemingly-anemic performance as compared to larger bikes. If you want a bigger bike get one, but I would keep that Ninja 250 simply for the economical reasons you already listed.

Chuck
(I have four bikes and a scooter)

If you thought the Bandit was uncomfortable, try an R6 or a GSX-R.
Although comfort is a very subjective thing. What's comfortable to me might be horrible to you and vice versa. Try sitting on (and riding if possible)a bunch of different ones to find what you like best.

Lowering usually isn't all that hard. Some suspensions can simply be adjusted to a lower position, others require changing out the link or the shock/spring unit. Usually only a couple hundred bucks. The bike forums will have a lot on doing stuff like that.

Hope you are being sarcastic about trying an R6 for comfort - I love my bike but it is designed so that your head is down, your arse is up and your heels are up your arse!:D

I think the better looking a bike is the more uncomfortable it is - that is why Harleys are so ugly!

Here in the UK you only have the Ninja 250 as a "standard" fully faired sports bike, all others are 600's or bigger. Most sport/tourers and 1/2 faired bikes are pretty heavy at about 220kg and I don't like that although I got used to it on the Fazer.

Last week my bike was in for its first service and I had the last model 2009 naked Fazer http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/fz_series/fz8.jsp?view=explorer&subview=features and it was very nice.

The Fazers had R6 engines until 2010 when they stopped making the 600's and moved upto 800's replacing the 600 with the diversion.

BMW also do nice bikes and they have the 1000RR and it has ABS/Traction control etc so you can't fall off:ph34r:B|

Hmm.. She's not gonna look so hot if she ever falls off that thing and gets a nasty road-rash.. She looks like a moron.

True.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYLE4JS9WRk

... better?

MUCH. Those girls are seriously badass! B|
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Get a BSA...heck you're in the neighborhood! ;)B|

Business Software Alliance??!
- Chris Hadfield