LongWayToFall

Hop heads report!

I have been looking for some wickedly hoppy beers recently, and was wondering what people out there are enjoying. So far the hoppiest beers I have had are Stone's Ruination, and Moylan's Hopsickle. Hopsickle was just about the holy grail of hops, incredible. I want to sample more of these rare specimen! Double IPA, Triple IPA, Imperial's, (Not too malty though, please!) bring it on!

Here is an entertaining review of Hopsickle:

Smudged brass colored, with quite a bit of haze, stacked with a wet and sticky and lacy beige dome.

Pungent nose full of cannabis, kilned tobacco, rusted iron, crushed flowers and herbs, and pine tar. Malt-derived caramel and dough are secondary (or, actually, septary).

Malt falls across the tongue in biscuity, lightly burnt caramelly waves. It turns doughier, then the hops vaporize it. Here on out, it's all resiny, pithy, sappy, bitter glory. Some DIPAs impress with tropical fruit hues. And I love a lot of them, but this one would punch those in the face and steal their women. Coarse and abrasive and tough, but not without a loveable side. Hugely resinous, with pot, and pot-pipe scraping, and pine sap, and burnt pineapple. A de-commissioned freighter's worth of rusted metal. A bitter tea of wild edibles and leafy tannins. A wavering, almost sweet, lilt of violets and moss. Then more reefer, more wrought iron, a discarded orange rind or two, and some juniper. It lingers with copper and blood, and a closure of dry cedar.

It's structured more along the lines of a barleywine, even though malt is beaten down, eventually. Wool-like, with a low-but-steady bead.
As punishing as it is, it remains thoroughly drinkable. Compulsively, even.
Brutish, and unrelenting, and almost arcane at times, but I love it.

I like how this thread is shaping up, I'll add some favorites for weyerbacher that always get my hopheart beating

Double Simcoe IPA
Hops infusion

And because a hophead can not live on IPAs alone (or can you?)
Blithering Idiot

I've only discovered Weyerbacher in the past year but it really is a freaking awesome brewery
Peace, love and hoppiness

Rogue Dead Guy is a very good IPA.
I'll also "second" the suggestion on Victory Hop Devil.
To my palate, the Rogue is medium-hoppy, English-IPA style. The Victory tends to be more over the top with bitterness, American-IPA style.

Not a big fan of overhopped IPA's, DIPA's and Cascadians. There's no skill involved in putting too many hops in a beer, and too many Northwest breweries (plus Green Flash and Avery) often use them to create drama instead of taste (IMO.)

Now, some more interesting adventures with hops include:

Pliny the Elder (huge aroma but well balanced hop/malt profile)
Dogfish Head Aprihop (apricots plus green hops, works really well)
Sam Adam Noble Pils (lightly hopped but you can taste every one)

Anyone tried Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA? Haven't found it here yet. As bitter as their Celebration Ale but higher ACBV.

It's become one of my go to favorites. It has a stronger hop 'bitterness' about it that I enjoy, without being completely over the top.

It doesn't hurt that it's readily available in my area... unlike one of my all time favorite IPA's that I can no longer seem to find here, Bridgeport's IPA.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I really...really need to try a PtE...but now I hear they aren't even bottling them anymore because of people ebaying them. I don't know the validity of that but hey if it's on BA it must be true right? So my chances of getting that brew anytime in the near future went down to nearly nil.

Sam Adams is so across the board with their beers, some are blatant drainpours-looking at you cranberry wit- and some are just utterly amazing for the quality of the brew. The noble pils is definitely one of the latter, the expert use and balance of the noble hops in that brew kept me coming back for more and more.
Peace, love and hoppiness