Viking

An Update on the life of Viking.

Nanook so far I've just talked to the recruiter. Havn't signed anything as of yet. And ya i'm 6'3" so i'm sure my rack on ship will be tight.

It will be tight on a surface ship; it will be a lot worse on a Submarine (fast-attack).

If you have any questions, ask me. Two of my guys here in the office were prior recruiters and one is converting to become a NC (Navy career Counselor). It's just as simple as me relaying info. Recruiters don't have to be as sneaky as yesteryear, but it doesn't mean they have all the answers either.

oh god a navy recruiter, hey virgin...errr viking, dont listen to this guy, they are trained to lie =D

Ugh. Recruiting. It's one thing I will never do, not even for points toward advancement. I'm actually an Instructor. I don't lie to get people in, I brainwash fertile minds.:P:P

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Were'nt you just 22 a week ago? I t seems like yesterday that you and I bought the same helmet on the same week. Best wishes on your future.

Thats a damn shame the dz.com crew isn't as close as it used to be!! That was one of the things that kept me going to eloy. But i havn't jumped in over two years so i'm sure alot has changed all over.

Same with me for boogies, including Eloy! It used to be that if more than a few DZ.commers showed up at a boogie, then it would be a PARTY.

Well, I'm really glad I got to party and jump with you in Eloy.:)

Was trying to find the shot from that early Eloy gathering but apparently it didn't make one of the many laptop transfers since then.

If you go subs practice taking a blow to the head without slowing..you have little clearance in the corridors until the canned food start being used. If you go aviation you might see me somewhere updating your sensor packages.

Good luck either way. Thanks for the update.

Here are some of the photos from those years. I just went through them real quick and sadly , a lot of familiar faces in the photos are no longer with us.:(

Eloy Dropzone.com boogie 03

You have some great pics in there. I had forgotten about LUSH TV. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

An update:

The AW rates are not closed up, but that doesn't mean that the detailers have the ability to assign you that rate at that given time. The need to fill new openings changes constantly and sometimes daily. The detailers do not have that control to put people where needed if Big Navy says there isn't a space yet. I recommend checking in on the detailer daily to see if there's an opening and then sign up when there is. Talk to your detailer and ensure him that you are serious about joining up so he or she will be willing to work for you. Their time is precious and they work very long hours and sometimes days to get just one person in just to find out that the person flaked on them or they didn't qualify after all. I recommend that you do not take a job for the purpose of getting in the door so you can change rates at boot camp. It's hard to cross-rate after that and more than likely will not happen. It may take some patience but it will pay off in the long time.

Now about the AW rates. There are different areas in the rate in which you can go:

AWR (naval aircrewman tac-helicopter): 7873, H-60B; 7876, H-60F; 7875, H-60R

Mostly ASW stuff on Seahawks. Taking off,landing on frigates cruisers destroyers looking for threat submarines

AWS (naval aircrewman tac-helicopter): 7805, H-60S; 7807, HH-60H utility; 7815, SAR; 7885 H-53 utility; 7886, H-53 AMCM

Combat helos working with spec ops, spec warfare and Super stallions utility and mine warfare.

AWO (naval aircrewman operator): 7835, TSC operator; 7841, P-3 acoustic; 7861, P-3 nonacoustic

Flying in P3 Orions for ASW and/or surveillence

AWF (naval aircrewman mechanical): 8206, C-130 mech; 8208, C-130 2nd LM; 8209, C-40 crew chief; 8220, C-130 LM; 8227, E-6B reel operator; 8235, E-6B FE; 8241, C-12 utility; 8245, C-20 crew chief; 8250, C-9 crew chief; 8251, P-3 FE; 8252, C-130 FE; 8278, C-130 LM; 8279, C-2 LM; 8289, TSS head

C130, prowlers, c9(military version of dc-8's) as load masters and crew chiefs.

AWV (naval aircrewman avionics): 8228, E-6B comm; 8229, E-6B IFT; 8265, P-3 comm; 8284, EP-3 EW operator; 9401, EP-3 IFT; 9402, P-3C AIP IFT

Fix electronic stuff for Prowlers, Orions.

Now which particular AW job you will fill may not be guaranteed in itself, but the AW rate itself will be.

Practice your swimming like the free style, side stroke back stroke and butterflys as you will be required to be a Second Class swimmer for a lot of fun ones.

Good luck!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Don't join the Navy, dude. But, regardless of which branch you pick, go into an MOS that you will not mind doing as a job when you get out, as a civilian.

Communications, computers, intel, etc...

Good Luck!

ATC.. I hear they may need to replace some old farts pretty soon... who went to work in the Reagan Era:P

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. Good luck with your career change, 30 is just out of nappies mate ;)

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Awe my sweet Viking aka Airwhore, former virgin extraordinare....

I have always greatly admired the care you have shown for your Grandmother. She was so fortunate to have you and I am sure that she smiles down upon you daily :)
The world would be a better place if there were more people like you in it.
The following for what it is worth are just a few thoughts from the "pixie"...

As you make your way through the next part of your journey, keep in mind that it is nothing more than a series of choices. we all end up where we are suppose to be at any given time.
Remember too that all the credentials on the wall do not make for a decent person. Surround yourself with people of merit, check your motives before you make decisions that impact others and then go doing the next "right" thing.
Lastly, make sure you like the person staring back from the glass each and every day.
Many of our friends and loved ones have longsince left us but in remembering them they really do live on. Cherish your friends and always pay it forward.

I salute the divine within you!
B2