Viking

An Update on the life of Viking.

Howdy yall. Just thought I'd drop by to update everyone thats still here that remembers me.

As some of you know i dedicated my 20's to taking care of my grandmother Helen. Sadly she passed away the morning of May 7th with her family around her bed side. She was 99 when she lost her fight with pneumonia.

With my last duties as a proud grandson completed I decided to shift my aim towards my life. I have plans to join the Navy (despite just turning 30) in the next 4-5 months. I'm aiming for the AW rate (Naval Aircrewman). If i can't get a slot in that school i'll go Submarines.

For those of you that know me. Thanks for the well wishs over the years! For the new people that dont know me. Howdy! and Blue Skies!:)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Hey guy, I'm glad you checked in, even though its with sad news. Good luck with the Navy, I'm sure you'll do very well.

Unfortunately DZ.com has changed a lot since you've been around, its not quite as friendly and fun, but some of us are still around.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nice to hear from you, Viking. I'm sorry about your grandmother, but attending the death of a loved one is a wonderful thing to do, and I'm sure you helped her life and death both.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Long time no hear bro. Sorry to hear about your grandma. Turning 30 huh? I remember when the women on here were arguing over who was going to take your virginity.:D

Are you positive you want to be a submariner? Every single one of those guys, to include the captains, that I have met are all strange cats. You don't strike me as the type to be a submariner.

The place is somewhat the same but most of the names have all changed and not everyone knows everyone in real life like it used to be. The vibe is definitely different these days.

Don't be a stranger and hope you are well.

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey Lou Ya i remember the good ol days when every women was "Threatening" to teach me a few things. lol :D

The Submarine thing is just a backup in case I cant get into Aircrew school. But i have to agree on them being a weird bunch. The one guy i have met who is a nuke is........unique. lol

Thats a damn shame the dz.com crew isn't as close as it used to be!! That was one of the things that kept me going to eloy. But i havn't jumped in over two years so i'm sure alot has changed all over.

Thats a damn shame the dz.com crew isn't as close as it used to be!! That was one of the things that kept me going to eloy. But i havn't jumped in over two years so i'm sure alot has changed all over.

Same with me for boogies, including Eloy! It used to be that if more than a few DZ.commers showed up at a boogie, then it would be a PARTY.

Well, I'm really glad I got to party and jump with you in Eloy.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Howdy yall. Just thought I'd drop by to update everyone thats still here that remembers me.

As some of you know i dedicated my 20's to taking care of my grandmother Helen. Sadly she passed away the morning of May 7th with her family around her bed side. She was 99 when she lost her fight with pneumonia.

With my last duties as a proud grandson completed I decided to shift my aim towards my life. I have plans to join the Navy (despite just turning 30) in the next 4-5 months. I'm aiming for the AW rate (Naval Aircrewman). If i can't get a slot in that school i'll go Submarines.

For those of you that know me. Thanks for the well wishs over the years! For the new people that dont know me. Howdy! and Blue Skies!:)

Sorry to hear about your grandmother Arthur.[:/] 99 is a pretty good run though, not too many of us get that close to the century mark.

But DUUUUUUDE.....NAVY????? I would think by living that close to San Diego you would know better:ph34r::ph34r:

hahaha Jeanne I'm too old for the Air Force. I will have to go through SERE school if i get the Aircrewman rate i want.

My condolences on your Grandmother. I am sure she is proud of you and very greatful.

Try very hard for the Aircrewman job. Submarine duty, especially Ballistic Missile boats, is very arduous. And if I remember correctly, you are a few inches taller than I am. I have problems in regular racks(bunks) on a warship. You may have much more issues on a smaller bunk of a fast-attack.

Where are you at right now with the Navy? Are you on the Delayed entry program or have you just talked to a recruiter? I advise you to wait for a AW position to open up than sign for something else because you want to join now. In the long run, going in for what you really want to do will pay off greatly.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Jt for jobs that require flight status its 28. Thats what the air force recruiter said. She didn't even try to steer me into something else. I was kinda shocked.

Nanook so far I've just talked to the recruiter. Havn't signed anything as of yet. And ya i'm 6'3" so i'm sure my rack on ship will be tight.

Nanook so far I've just talked to the recruiter. Havn't signed anything as of yet. And ya i'm 6'3" so i'm sure my rack on ship will be tight.

It will be tight on a surface ship; it will be a lot worse on a Submarine (fast-attack).

If you have any questions, ask me. Two of my guys here in the office were prior recruiters and one is converting to become a NC (Navy career Counselor). It's just as simple as me relaying info. Recruiters don't have to be as sneaky as yesteryear, but it doesn't mean they have all the answers either.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I don't remember if we ever jumped together at Elsinore, but I know we've met. Kick ass while in the Navy. Hope you get to work on the deck instead of a sub, those would be some long tours I bet. ;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Congrats on the dedication to family and all the hard work you no doubt did in assisting your grandmother. The world could use a few more people like you. Good luck in the Navy or in whatever else you choose to do!
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

My only real question right now is if the AW rate is commonly closed. If its not how would i go about getting signed orders for that A school after Great Lakes. I like going into a conversation like this with a good chunk of my research done.

Edit: Max i don't think we ever jumped together but i do remember hanging out in Perris i think.

You're 30?! What the hell...when did that happen? Damn, I feel old! :o

Your dedication to your family and now your country is to be admired. Best of luck to you, Arthur, and make sure you check in every once in awhile and let us know how you're doing! :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My only real question right now is if the AW rate is commonly closed. If its not how would i go about getting signed orders for that A school after Great Lakes. I like going into a conversation like this with a good chunk of my research done.

Edit: Max i don't think we ever jumped together but i do remember hanging out in Perris i think.

Electronics training mixed with flying. . . very coveted. I'll have to check tomorrow. As far as a guaranteeing an A school, you get that (to include what enlistment bonus) before you even leave boot camp. You sign the contract at the recruiter's office or MEPS office (pre-processing station).

It will be tight on a surface ship; it will be a lot worse on a Submarine (fast-attack).

If you have any questions, ask me. Two of my guys here in the office were prior recruiters and one is converting to become a NC (Navy career Counselor). It's just as simple as me relaying info. Recruiters don't have to be as sneaky as yesteryear, but it doesn't mean they have all the answers either.

oh god a navy recruiter, hey virgin...errr viking, dont listen to this guy, they are trained to lie =D
IHYD

Thanks for the update.

The was extremely selfless what you did. I'm sure your family is proud.

Best of luck to you in choosing your next career path. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.