dgskydive

Mel Gibson...The Dude Makes good movies.

I watch movies to see movies.

I do NOT watch movies to:

1 - make/oppose/support political views
2 - put or refuse to put money into any specific individual's pockets
3 - etc

If a performer can avoid doing his stupid/personal crap on stage, then it doesn't affect my patronage

WORD

Sometimes you have to separate the art from the artist.

For all we know, Shakespeare was a jackass, but does it matter?

There is a difference between being a jackass and a mean-spirited bigot, don't you think?

Finally, Mel Gibson is no artist.

All his films are exactly the same.
"Think like a man of action; act like a man of thought." -Henri L.
Bergson

There is a difference between being a jackass and a mean-spirited bigot, don't you think?

Brave Heart, Mad Max, and Passion of the Chrst were all the same?:o

Brave Heart, Mad Max, and Passion of the Chrst were all the same?:o

He only co-wrote and directed Passion of The Christ, which was at best, self indulgent. It's anti-semitic and far from reverential than it is about excess.

Braveheart is about as over-rated as a movie can get, unless you're a boy scout and want to see Lethal Weapon transposed into every era possible. Btw, he didn't even write it.

As far as Oscar's as concerned, don't even go there.

He neither directed or wrote Mad Max.

Reread my post. HIS movies implies a kind of auteurism or authorship.

I have more sympathy for someone who faces their problems, no matter how bad. Addicts are sick people, not ugly or bad people. There's a difference.

Mel Gibson should take his money and go buy an island and stay there.

Finally, Christ (if you believe in the bible god, etc) died for our sins, not due to the Jews. The man is ugly and adrift in ways that are beyond belief.
"Think like a man of action; act like a man of thought." -Henri L.
Bergson

It's not about lying.

Did you guys even listen to the recording? That man has issues. There is tremendous amount of very dangerous rage in him. He is obviously a serious racist as well. He needs medication and to get some help.

You guys think its ok for him to punch the mother of his child in the mouth, twice no less? She was even holding his child while he did it.

To me, the racism is bad, but NOT the worst thing about the recordings.

What I find to be the worst thing is the sexist part of the rant. Telling Oksana what she can and can't wear, boasting about how he makes the money so he'll call the shots, etc, is all very old school sexist pig crap that no self respecting modern woman would tolerate. Or should tolerate, for that matter. No one has had anything to say about the horrible attitude that Mel has towrads women.

Everyone seems focused on the racism. He is getting a pass on the sexism. That is wrong. WAY wrong.

Get your sick jokes in on Mel Gibson here! :ph34r:

Mel punched his wife in the face because she wouldn't let him do any more Angry Dragons or Strawberry Shortcakes. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

...Telling Oksana what she can and can't wear, boasting about how he makes the money so he'll call the shots, etc, is all very old school sexist pig crap...

I'm not defending Mel Gibson's entire rant, especially in the context of the apparent violence surrounding his attitude, but I don't accept that either statement above is automatically sexist.

If I were to wear clothing that was, in my wife's opinion, inappropriate or embarassing then she would certainly express that opinion to me (whether unreasonable or not). If I continued to ignore her protests then an outburst and/or separation may well be on the cards. That would be her right to do so. Being sexist has little to do with it.

"Calling the shots" on an entire relationship based on money is certainly unfair, but it can depend on what "shots" you're calling.
When "making the money" has as much to do with financial responsibility as it does to raw income, then I believe that circumstances exist where a spouse can protest the decisions of another regarding irresponsible financial behaviour.

The circumstances I've mentioned above might or might not apply to Mel Gibson's relationships, but I don't have proof either way.
I'm just saying...