david3

STOL

Very impressive.:)
I think that the unpainted one could takeoff or land across a normal runway. (it's repeated a bunch of times, but it's the very last one)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Given a high enough ground wind, I wonder if it would be possible for one to nearly take off with out rolling forward (and I wonder how fast that would would have to be)?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Given a high enough ground wind, I wonder if it would be possible for one to nearly take off with out rolling forward (and I wonder how fast that would would have to be)?

I'm sure Prof Kallend would be able to give a better answer, but here goes anyway.

With the STOL kits, including slats, huge flaps, stall fences, and all that stuff; the stall speed drops to about 35mph +/- (maybe even lower).
You can gain 5-10 mph almost instantly with the power-to-weight ratios those guys run.

So in a 25mph wind, the takeoff run could be almost nothing. But I don't know that trying to takeoff in that kind of wind would be a good idea (gusts and burbles could really ruin your day).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yes, absolutely. Depends on the stall speed, of the aircraft. 30 MPH would be enough for quite a few stol planes lightly loaded.

I've been in a Cherokee in strong winds (50 knots) up at altitude (against them, unfortunately), and just for fun slowed it down as much as I could. Got a ground speed of 0 on the GPS.

About 20 years ago I was at Mullins DZ for a $99 all-you-can-jump weekend.
It was too damned windy to jump, but a bunch of us fools were doing it anyway.
At one point Mullins decided the crosswinds were too strong for landing an empty Helio Stallion,
so he started landing across the runway.
On on occasion I saw him drop it onto the runway without the wheels even rotating!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Keep looking. There is a STOL competition in Alaska for bush pilots. I've seen them take off and land with no wheel rotation. I've also seen video of hang glider pilots taking off without a step and go pretty much straight up like an elevator. Same concept. All that matters is airspeed. Ground speed is only important if you want to go somewhere.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

About 20 years ago I was at Mullins DZ for a $99 all-you-can-jump weekend.
It was too damned windy to jump, but a bunch of us fools were doing it anyway.
At one point Mullins decided the crosswinds were too strong for landing an empty Helio Stallion,
so he started landing across the runway.
On on occasion I saw him drop it onto the runway without the wheels even rotating!

He's not your average pilot! ;)

As far as I'm concerned, Mike Mullins is the best goddamn pilot this sport has ever had, bar none. He has a knack for getting his planes down more or less intact with minimal damage when the shit hits the fan. Once a tandem reserve deployed on exit and ripped the horizontal stabilizer off his king air, he landed it with no problems. Another time his landing gear would not come down, it was stuck in the wheels up position. He came in gently and as softly as anybody could do it, slid down the runway on its belly. He's The Man! [Cool]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

As far as I'm concerned, Mike Mullins is the best goddamn pilot this sport has ever had, bar none. He has a knack for getting his planes down more or less intact with minimal damage when the shit hits the fan. Once a tandem reserve deployed on exit and ripped the horizontal stabilizer off his king air, he landed it with no problems. Another time his landing gear would not come down, it was stuck in the wheels up position. He came in gently and as softly as anybody could do it, slid down the runway on its belly. He's The Man! [Cool]

I think the fact it is "His" plane helps too!;)

Once a tandem reserve deployed on exit and ripped the horizontal stabilizer off his king air, he landed it with no problems.

No problems???:S
I read his account of the incident.
That was the most exciting "no problem" I've ever read.:P
He landed it only after figuring out there was no way to get out in a vertical dive.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

cool vid. just like a boogie and it was no surprise that the REAL Skygods were humble and willing to give back to the sport and be accessible to newbies. Unlike the pseudo-skygods who just think their crap doesn't stink. :)

"Think like a man of action; act like a man of thought." -Henri L.
Bergson