jtval

Feeling let down by mac

Funny you'd have a problem running Quicktime on a Mac since it is Apple software.

I agree with VLC, it will pretty much play everything.

Win 7 is the schnitzel, and I've had all them all since Windows 2.1 running on a IBM 8086. I was running DOS as an OS before that.

Anyone remember . . .

c:/dir

NickD :)

I HAVE downloaded Perian AND Flip4MAC and none of them worked. Am I supposed to download them to a specific spot?
Usually, if I need to plug-in a file, the install shows you where it needs to go. Flip4MAC and Perian were automatically installed to the HD so I figured that was good. Neither worked. I tried restarting and it they still didn't work. More research brought me to a few AC3 codecs. a52 got the job done. Though, I don't know if it will play everything,yet.

I down loaded Flip4Mac and then installed it. You should have an Icon in your applications if done correctly. I only had to do it once and it worked like a charm. I would double check the apple web site and make sure all the steps were followed.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Funny you'd have a problem running Quicktime on a Mac since it is Apple software.

I agree with VLC, it will pretty much play everything.

Win 7 is the schnitzel, and I've had all them all since Windows 2.1 running on a IBM 8086. I was running DOS as an OS before that.

Anyone remember . . .

c:/dir

NickD :)

format c: /q /autotest

;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Lightroom and Photoshop are targeting two different uses. Lightroom is a awesome cataloging, slight retouching, organizing, and third party tie in tool. I have it able to directly export photos to HDR rendering programs, direct to Facebook uploads, simple resizing and other common photo tasks. Lightroom is great to remove red eyes, crop a photo or todo minor touch ups like that. Photoshop on the other hand is more for the heavy lifting of pixel modifications. Need to remove someone from a photo? Photoshop is the easy solution. Need to organize and search through 20000 photos for a year and be able to tell who is in each photo? Lightroom is the easy choice there.

Its all about Work flow...Lightroom can really make dealing with a large collection of photos really easy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Was that supposed to be a positive review? Here, let me try to write some similar ones.

Now you know how the Windows folks feel about the constant "get a Mac" replies in other threads.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Lightroom and Photoshop are targeting two different uses. Lightroom is a awesome cataloging, slight retouching, organizing, and third party tie in tool. I have it able to directly export photos to HDR rendering programs, direct to Facebook uploads, simple resizing and other common photo tasks. Lightroom is great to remove red eyes, crop a photo or todo minor touch ups like that. Photoshop on the other hand is more for the heavy lifting of pixel modifications. Need to remove someone from a photo? Photoshop is the easy solution. Need to organize and search through 20000 photos for a year and be able to tell who is in each photo? Lightroom is the easy choice there.

Its all about Work flow...Lightroom can really make dealing with a large collection of photos really easy.

Lightroom (as well as Adobe bridge, if I recall correctly) let you make general adjustments to the RAW file before saving as a PS compliant file (TIFF, etc) - another advantage if you're doing high-end photo work.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Preview sucks.
Any WMV equivalent for viewing photos/movies?

Any Batch rotating ability for photos?

There was another thread a couple months ago on this exact same subject (batch rotating photos on Mac)... if I remember right the dude downloaded a shit load of different programs on his Mac and the end result was... he still couldn't batch rotate the original files to be saved, but he did end up with a shit load of new programs on his Mac. :P

I think your S.O.L.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

You don't have to just keep your photos in iPhoto. When you're done making your changes (rotating, etc), just click "file" and then "export".

Photoshop is available for mac, as is Photoshop Elements. Ditto with Premiere. Adobe dropped support for Premiere for Mac a while back, but they decided to revive the product, I think back in '07. So, no need to give up your favorite products unless you're looking for a cheaper alternative.

I've never had a problem playing any video I've wanted to play, so I'm not sure how to address that question.

Lightroom is also non destructive. The original files stay untouched and it stores all of its changes in the temp files and database.

Good point, Phree - I'd forgotten about that.

I played around with it a bit during the beta - it's a pretty sweet program, that's for sure!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

if all else fails, go speak with a Genius at the Apple Store. I have had no problems with mine once they explained everything and how to convert certain things.
If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

Have you tried the Yugo yet? By far the best car from Yugoslavia so far, engine made of metal and wheels being round wise.

I resent that remark sir! There was one better car made in Yugoslavia! :P

On the serious note, I drive a Yugo, and it`s great. Cost-wise. :P In your measuring units I can go 60 miles for 7$. And when a tree fell on my Yugo last winter, and totalled it, it was not that expensive to repair it. I think you can`t find cheaper car around. :D
dudeist skydiver #42

A'ight, well, I bought a MAC because I was fucking sick of the instability of the windows OS.

Some MAc issues I have encountered:

How the hell do I play an AVI fie on this thing?
(I should have known that I would've had issues since I HATED ITUNES and QUICKTIME before bought the machine)

So, I gave up Photoshop and premiere. Any worth while replacements?
I havent done any editing since I bought this machine and its killing me how backed up I am.

JT - Why didn't you select Linux? There are plenty of distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, etc.) to choose from, almost all with "Live" versions that allow the user to test for functionality before installation.

I've been running Suse 11 on a Sony VGN-NR490 Vaio for 18 months now - does everything I need, and at zero cost (except for paying the "Microsoft Tax" because the laptop came with Vista pre-installed).

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I have a version of lightroom I still haven't installed.
if you got any tips, I'll Take em

I'll have some time to mess with it when we fly over the pond

JT,

I just came across this blog post about Lightroom jpeg export settings and thought you might find it interesting.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey