jtval

Feeling let down by mac

A'ight, well, I bought a MAC because I was fucking sick of the instability of the windows OS.

Some MAc issues I have encountered:

How the hell do I play an AVI fie on this thing?
(I should have known that I would've had issues since I HATED ITUNES and QUICKTIME before bought the machine)

So, I gave up Photoshop and premiere. Any worth while replacements?
I havent done any editing since I bought this machine and its killing me how backed up I am.
My photos

My Videos

A'ight, well, I bought a MAC because I was fucking sick of the instability of the windows OS.

Some MAc issues I have encountered:

How the hell do I play an AVI fie on this thing?
(I should have known that I would've had issues since I HATED ITUNES and QUICKTIME before bought the machine)

So, I gave up Photoshop and premiere. Any worth while replacements?
I havent done any editing since I bought this machine and its killing me how backed up I am.

VMWare and a Windows 7 disk :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Lots of newer servers are using it, its a virtualization software...

Think of it this way, you can run Windows inside of your Mac, and switch back and forth between them.

VMWare fusion seems to cost about $80, but I think there is a free one out there, Ill ask my Mac guys when I go to work tomorrow.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I got the quicktime player to play avi files. It only took about 20 downloads of the a52codec but I finally found one that worked.

Still want to find a Media viewer that's worth a damn.
If I take 300 pictures that I have to rotate 90* I can not highlight all of them inside the folder, right click, then (batch) rotate them.

i have to highlight all of them, open it in preview then rotate each picture, then save the changes.>:(
WEAK!!!

My photos

My Videos

Preview sucks.
Any WMV equivalent for viewing photos/movies?

VLC to play pretty much any kind of movie.

Any Batch rotating ability for photos?

IPhoto can bulk rotate photos.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Yes, but then I can only view them in iPhoto, right?

I want to rotate the actual file. so if I bring open them in a different program it will open in the proper orientation.

I.E. Why do I have to import every photo I take into iphoto just to see them?

Is there a program like WMV that allows me to view the actual photo instead of importing a copy?
My photos

My Videos

Preview sucks.
Any WMV equivalent for viewing photos/movies?

Any Batch rotating ability for photos?

I went to the apple web site and downloaded Flip4mac. It's drivers for quicktime to allow anything that used to only play in Windows media player now plays in quicktime.

Hope that helps out and good luck. I do loves my mac....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I got the quicktime player to play avi files. It only took about 20 downloads of the a52codec but I finally found one that worked.

Screw that codec shit. Try VLC media player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Adobe Lightroom is everything that folks say it is which is awesome. 3.0 just came out recently. Editing 300 pictures is a snap and you can even find plug-ins to export them. I'm using a plug-in for Facebook and Smugmug.

Were you using PS Elements or the full CS? I use Elements along with Lightroom for layer work and some other fine tuning that Lightroom won't do. Don't really have to switch over that often though. iMovie does just fine with videos and slideshows. Just like everything else, you're going to have a learning curve.

I switched over a few years ago and it was a little painful at first but now I'd never go back to Windows. Would never even run a system that I could switch back and forth on. If so, why switch in the first place?
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Have you tried Windows 7 yet? By far the best Windows OS so far, functionality and stability wise.

Was that supposed to be a positive review? Here, let me try to write some similar ones.

Have you tried the Yugo yet? By far the best car from Yugoslavia so far, engine made of metal and wheels being round wise.

Have you seen "Plan 9 from Outer Space" yet? By far the best film by Ed Woods so far, focus and running at 24 frames per second wise.

Have you seen the Deep Water Horizons spill yet? By far the most oily so far, tar ball and disaster wise.

Look, I'm not saying that Windows 7 sucks, but the entire history of Windows has been plagued with functionality and stability issues. Being functional and stable should be the norm, not the exception. Saying "By far the best Windows OS so far", isn't saying a whole heck of a lot.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I want to rotate the actual file. so if I bring open them in a different program it will open in the proper orientation.

CS Bridge comes with PS Elements too. You can batch rotate files there without having to import them. It's also a good viewer.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Have you tried Windows 7 yet? By far the best Windows OS so far, functionality and stability wise.

Was that supposed to be a positive review? Here, let me try to write some similar ones.

Have you tried the Yugo yet? By far the best car from Yugoslavia so far, engine made of metal and wheels being round wise.

Have you seen "Plan 9 from Outer Space" yet? By far the best film by Ed Woods so far, focus and running at 24 frames per second wise.

Have you seen the Deep Water Horizons spill yet? By far the most oily so far, tar ball and disaster wise.

Look, I'm not saying that Windows 7 sucks, but the entire history of Windows has been plagued with functionality and stability issues. Saying Windows 7 is better, isn't saying a whole heck of a lot.

I have 2 of the guys in my office (the most senior signal officers in the unit) who have their macs running vmware with windows 7...

It cant be that bad ;)

I have 2 of the guys in my office (the most senior signal officers in the unit) who have their macs running vmware with windows 7...

Yeah, yeah, some programs ONLY run under Windows . . . that doesn't mean all the people that buy Macs and have to install Windows on them WANT to. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

More reason to just go with windows 7 :P

I wonder if I can VM Snow Leopard on my laptop.... hrm, project for work tonight!

Yeah, yeah, some programs ONLY run under Windows . . . that doesn't mean all the people that buy Macs and have to install Windows on them WANT to. ;)

I have a Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard and a separate partition for Windows 7. I was skeptical at first but Windows 7 really is a stable and fast operating system (as is Snow Leopard).

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Yes, but then I can only view them in iPhoto, right?

Is there a program like WMV that allows me to view the actual photo instead of importing a copy?

Try Picasa for Mac...you can also batch rotate photos in this one too, but like iPhoto I think you'll have to import them as well. The "import" thing is there because many of the photo softwares these days are designed around the "album" concept. I don't like it much either, but they get the job done. And yes, you will be able to view the rotated and edited photos outside of iPhoto.

Adobe Bridge will allow organizing and viewing of all kinds of things. If you bought a Mac without looking into your particular needs, then you are somewhat to blame as well.

The mac uses iphoto itunes imovie and idvd for media. And it works really well for 99% of the users that use it. If you need something special, then i guess that is what you need.

I never used iTunes until i got a mac. You might call it 'giving in', but the fact is that all those things built in work so seamlessly, that it actually made my life easier to just use the tools that came with it rather than trying to crowbar some add-on not designed to work with it just because I want to be different.

Use the Mac the way i was meant to be used. It only takes a short time to get used to it and the difference is - it all works.

The more different programs you slap in there to do things just the way you want to do them ill mean that eventually you will have a machine that works just like a windows machine. full of bugs and nuances, a different tool for every step you do.

Thanks for the replies. There are a lot of them and they all seem useful.

I HAVE downloaded Perian AND Flip4MAC and none of them worked. Am I supposed to download them to a specific spot?
Usually, if I need to plug-in a file, the install shows you where it needs to go. Flip4MAC and Perian were automatically installed to the HD so I figured that was good. Neither worked. I tried restarting and it they still didn't work. More research brought me to a few AC3 codecs. a52 got the job done. Though, I don't know if it will play everything,yet.

VLS player is an option but I don't see a reason to clutter up the HD with "other' program if I can get the on board stuff to work. By using the AC52 codec it works now.

Lightroom? I half-heartedly tried it when I was on Vista. I don't think it compared to photoshop. Not, even close. Then, again, I said half-heartedly.
I had CS3 and loved it. I didn't use much more then Photoshop and I quit using premeire because the Windows machine I was using was just worthless and the blue screen of death would come up if I was ever even able to get the video to download to the hard drive. I have 2.5 years of video that I want to get to.

Blink,

My condolences...

That's kinda like saying.
"i KNOW she was a crazy, lying, stealing, suicidal, psycho, but I love her. But, if I can look passed her 'quirks' and see the real person I think I'll find the inner beauty.:D:D
Sometimes, repeating the same mistakes isn't as fun as the sex is with that crazy chick. Windows is one of those "don't go back, man. Brother, I am TELLING you don't get weak and go back to her, it'll only ruin your life...again!" speeches:ph34r::ph34r:

I HAVE downloaded Virtual machine but I am unsure, as of yet, how to run it.
I figured I could run Premeire and photoshop on the virtual machine but I can't figure out how. (haven't gone crazy trying, yet. I am just in the "getting used to" phase of mac ownership.

Andy0689 and TK,
I agree with you on the learning curve. I mean I knew I would feel like a newb on this thing. As far as I could tell everyone told my the iphoto, imovie, etc. were just these amazing programs for what I'd need. I don't know of a trial MAC program*. If there's one out there let me know so I can pass it on.

*by "trial mac program" I don't mean software. I meant a program where MAC would lend you a computer or teach you in store how to use their machines. Do you know if the apple store does that stuff? (been there once for my iphone but I have no idea how the MAC support world works)

TK

The more different programs you slap in there to do things just the way you want to do them ill mean that eventually you will have a machine that works just like a windows machine. full of bugs and nuances, a different tool for every step you do.

Agreed. I don't want the clutter of having 17 different apps just to run different types of movie/audio files. I was looking for the "ONE."
But, if I can use photoshop on this computer, I will.
I have no issue rolling over to Vegas or final cut if they both work well. I KINDA know Final Cut, I think. Maybe it's vegas. The good thing is that I can find out which one I know before I switch over. I am just in mid brain-fart, right now.

Thanks everyone, so far.
I figure I have some research to do.
CS BRIDGE
ELEMENTS
Picasa
VLC(though I think my issue was fixed)
Virtual Machine(hopefully won't need this one but its an option)
My photos

My Videos