ShayneH

Health Treatment

Hey folks,

My neck/back muscles are killing me from working all the time and never giving them a chance to properly heal. So today I'm going to go try some treatment for it. Between a chiropractor, a masseuse, and an acupuncturist, which is better for a single session, and why?

Have you ever tried any of these for skydiving related injuries (ie strained muscles from hard openings) and how well did it work?

I've had the most success with massage therapy, especially with those who are focused on deep tissue massage/sports therapy. I tried acupuncture for shoulder pain and it actually felt worse. Haven't tried chiro, but I think for muscular pain massage is worth a try. I've worked with a massage therapist for a few weeks now after an ugly opening and it's done wonders to unlock my back/neck/shoulders.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I go to a therapist who works on deep tissue and the chiropractic stuff. While the adjustment definitely helps, it's the massage-type therapy that usually helps the most. That said, you can't walk into any random massage place and expect the same results. Look for sport therapy type places.

Never tried accupuncture, so I can't comment on that.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Hey folks,

My neck/back muscles are killing me from working all the time and never giving them a chance to properly heal. So today I'm going to go try some treatment for it. Between a chiropractor, a masseuse, and an acupuncturist, which is better for a single session, and why?

Have you ever tried any of these for skydiving related injuries (ie strained muscles from hard openings) and how well did it work?

Ok. My name is Dr. Pinkee. I have been practicing therapeutic medicine for almost 33 three years. My professional opinion is as follows: Once a day for the next ten days, you are to receive from your female,(human, adult) of choice one: Blowjob, followed by a BEER, and a sammich within 30 minutes of said Blowjob.

After 10 days you are released to light duty only, wherein all sexual exertion is to be performed by afore mentioned female, (human, adult).

If no improvement in condition after 30 days, repeat to your hearts desire.;)
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I did immediately following my initial hard opening (so hard it blew cells on a factory new ZP canopy). After telling me what I already knew, they sent me home with painkillers and a $2,300 ER visit bill.

Don't get me wrong, getting some nice painkillers once in awhile isn't a bad gig. But on the same token, that's my problem with our system of healthcare. They give you all the medicine you need to cover up the problem, but not much help to directly fix the problem. And for a much higher price.

I did immediately following my initial hard opening (so hard it blew cells on a factory new ZP canopy). After telling me what I already knew, they sent me home with painkillers and a $2,300 ER visit bill.

Don't get me wrong, getting some nice painkillers once in awhile isn't a bad gig. But on the same token, that's my problem with our system of healthcare. They give you all the medicine you need to cover up the problem, but not much help to directly fix the problem. And for a much higher price.

You're telling me that post-incident, but prior to your medical examination at the ER, you "already knew" whether you'd sustained herniated disks, or fractured vertebra, or hemorrhaging into the spinal column, or cranial hemorrhaging or a bruised liver? With all due respect - and I'm really not trying to be snarky here - I rather doubt that.

I have been involved in a few car accidents myself. I went to the ER as well. same kinda thing. I did 6 months of physical therapy and massage therapy and it only mildly helped. I was released and then side swiped the very next day. Same problems again- radiating pain all the way down my arm- stabbing in nature, burning, debilitating. back then I was working in a bakery as a cake decorator. utilizing that arm was absolutely crippling. I went to an acupuncture physician, and I started feeling better than I had before the 6 months of rehabilitation within one month of treatment. Everyone is different though, some don't have the same results, as someone stated earlier. Now, I'm an acupuncture physician and I've helped a ton of people tremendously. However, I still can't do anything to help my boyfriend. Give it a whirl though. Where are you located and I may be able to find you a good colleague.
If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

After 15 years in medicine I've noticed several common factors. One that applies to this situation is the patient wants a fix to the problem, and more times than not, the fix to the problem is rest and time. Rest so as to not further aggravate the injury and time to allow the body to heal. Now, I understand that you have to work to put food on the table and that time is a very finite commodity but it is also the most valuable commodity when it comes to allowing your body to heal.

People also make the mistake of confusing pain killers and anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medications. Analgesics (pain killers) act like a light switch and chemically make the brain not recognize pain that is at the site of injury. Use of these medications can cause further damage by tricking the patient into thinking that everything is ok, then they begin activity again and cause further harm. Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAID) have a chemical action on the area of injury and reduce swelling (inflammation) in that area. One of the positive side effects of this is to reduce pressure on the surrounding nerves and reduce pain. Another positive effect of NSAIDs is that the reduction of swelling in the area will allow for increased blood flow in the area, allowing for faster healing.
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

I have injured my upper back/neck and I swear by Arnica it is an all natural pills (Ointment/topical) You get it at an all natural erbal store. Not anything like GNC.

Boi-Freeze works well for muscles and you can order samples online or buy it in a chiros office or rehab center.

I do suggest seeing your PCP if your neck and back pain dont improve.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

After 15 years in medicine I've noticed several common factors. One that applies to this situation is the patient wants a fix to the problem, and more times than not, the fix to the problem is rest and time. Rest so as to not further aggravate the injury and time to allow the body to heal. Now, I understand that you have to work to put food on the table and that time is a very finite commodity but it is also the most valuable commodity when it comes to allowing your body to heal.

People also make the mistake of confusing pain killers and anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medications. Analgesics (pain killers) act like a light switch and chemically make the brain not recognize pain that is at the site of injury. Use of these medications can cause further damage by tricking the patient into thinking that everything is ok, then they begin activity again and cause further harm. Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAID) have a chemical action on the area of injury and reduce swelling (inflammation) in that area. One of the positive side effects of this is to reduce pressure on the surrounding nerves and reduce pain. Another positive effect of NSAIDs is that the reduction of swelling in the area will allow for increased blood flow in the area, allowing for faster healing.

Quit talking with all that book lurning. I want my meds. Make me feels better doc.

Where are you located and I may be able to find you a good colleague.

I live in Boulder, Colorado.

Thank you to the rest of you folks for the advice. I'm especially keen on natural alternatives (infact, im surprised that I haven't heard of arnica already), so I'll definately give the arnica a try.

My next question -- which is probably a dumb one -- is should I tip? If so, how much?

Thank you to the rest of you folks for the advice. I'm especially keen on natural alternatives (infact, im surprised that I haven't heard of arnica already), so I'll definately give the arnica a try.

My next question -- which is probably a dumb one -- is should I tip? If so, how much?

If you're visiting a therapist, it's not really customary. It's like visiting a doctor; you're billed. A run of the mill masseuse might be different, but I wouldn't know.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Arnica is great, actually. I use it a lot for my roller derby bruises. Actually did an experiment recently, treated one half of an enormous bruise with acupuncture, cupping, and arnica and left one alone. guess which side has already healed completely? It's amazing.

Acupuncturists are Primary Care Physicians here in Florida, and just as if you were going to your traditional primary, or any other physician, for that matter, you would never tip them. Many of us are even accepting insurances now. :)
If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

Massage is great- as stated, you want a deep tissue/sports massage, and (like sex :)) don't hesitate to direct the masseuse and let them know what feels good and what helps, before and during the massage- after all, you are paying for the service (sex analogy ends there hopefully :P)

Many insurances companies have some sort of preventatives incentive plan where you can pick something(s) like massage, acupuncture, yoga, group exercise classes, etc. (unfortunately not skydiving lol, at least not my policy) and be reimbursed for the cost. It's generally around $50-150 per person, not huge but definitely worth using (and it doesn't usually "roll over" by year, so you'll want to take advantage if you can for 2010 if you have them!)

Another option (you ask what would be best for ONE session- if $ is the issue) could be to seek out a massage training school- they have much cheaper rates since the students must get their set #/hours for their cert.

But, as for a one-time thing esp, I would agree to stick with massage (to answer the 'why' portion of your question- my rationale is that massage targets your muscles directly and immediately, and also that chiro and acu are really meant to be drawn out over multiple sessions, but just a single massage can be extremely useful), and then utilize hot soaks in a tub, before/after your massage and ongoing/in general to soothe and relax the muscles more.

Stretching can def help too, though a PT could give you the best idea of what stretches are ideal..
I.e. roll neck gently from side to side and around, both ways, then bend forward until you get a stretch (should NOT feel any pain in the stretch though, from what past yoga teachers and physical therapists have stressed to me), etc.

For the back, what is best for me is simply relax/loosen up and then reach to the ground in front of my toes (you don't have to tough the ground, just feet shoulder width and let your lower body bear the front of the weight so your back and neck are relieved of it) and then I let my torso hang there, it feels so good and releases so much tension.. and then you can kind of sway back and forth, and your back is not holding anything up, the muscles can just relax or take a position that is different from what they are used to (and what can get strained)

So yeah disclaimer being, I am not a professional, this post is solely personal experience with back/neck pain and massage/chiro/acu. If you have further Qs about any of the three or other options, please feel free to post or PM, I have had all three done.

Hope that helps. I hope you feel better soon!! I know how much it can suck to have chronic neck/back stuff. Hang in there, and enjoy that massage!

blue skies, robyn
----------------------------------------
side note-- if you do not have insurance, sorry, ignore those references, but the basic reply is still relevant and remains the same :)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Massage is great- as stated, you want a deep tissue/sports massage, and (like sex :)) don't hesitate to direct the masseuse and let them know what feels good and what helps, before and during the massage- after all, you are paying for the service (sex analogy ends there hopefully :P)

Many insurances companies have some sort of preventatives incentive plan where you can pick something(s) like massage, acupuncture, yoga, group exercise classes, etc. (unfortunately not skydiving lol, at least not my policy) and be reimbursed for the cost. It's generally around $50-150 per person, not huge but definitely worth using (and it doesn't usually "roll over" by year, so you'll want to take advantage if you can for 2010 if you have them!)

Another option (you ask what would be best for ONE session- if $ is the issue) could be to seek out a massage training school- they have much cheaper rates since the students must get their set #/hours for their cert.

But, as for a one-time thing esp, I would agree to stick with massage (to answer the 'why' portion of your question- my rationale is that massage targets your muscles directly and immediately, and also that chiro and acu are really meant to be drawn out over multiple sessions, but just a single massage can be extremely useful), and then utilize hot soaks in a tub, before/after your massage and ongoing/in general to soothe and relax the muscles more.

Stretching can def help too, though a PT could give you the best idea of what stretches are ideal..
I.e. roll neck gently from side to side and around, both ways, then bend forward until you get a stretch (should NOT feel any pain in the stretch though, from what past yoga teachers and physical therapists have stressed to me), etc.

For the back, what is best for me is simply relax/loosen up and then reach to the ground in front of my toes (you don't have to tough the ground, just feet shoulder width and let your lower body bear the front of the weight so your back and neck are relieved of it) and then I let my torso hang there, it feels so good and releases so much tension.. and then you can kind of sway back and forth, and your back is not holding anything up, the muscles can just relax or take a position that is different from what they are used to (and what can get strained)

So yeah disclaimer being, I am not a professional, this post is solely personal experience with back/neck pain and massage/chiro/acu. If you have further Qs about any of the three or other options, please feel free to post or PM, I have had all three done.

Hope that helps. I hope you feel better soon!! I know how much it can suck to have chronic neck/back stuff. Hang in there, and enjoy that massage!

blue skies, robyn
----------------------------------------
side note-- if you do not have insurance, sorry, ignore those references, but the basic reply is still relevant and remains the same :)

Off topic, but are you typing with one hand still? If so this is dz.com dedication...;)

Now to read what you wrote. :P
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Off topic, but are you typing with one hand still? If so this is dz.com dedication...;)

Haha no I don't think I was at that point.. but it does not lessen my dedication!! :) Does that make up for the two handed typing? ;)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

You think thats bad? You should see her 'short' PMs!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You're telling me that post-incident, but prior to your medical examination at the ER, you "already knew" whether you'd sustained herniated disks, or fractured vertebra, or hemorrhaging into the spinal column, or cranial hemorrhaging or a bruised liver? With all due respect - and I'm really not trying to be snarky here - I rather doubt that.

Agreed.

Thus, I have to ask for further details as to what prompted you to go to the ER, what did they do at the ER, and what recommendations/papers did they send you home with?

Also, do you have medical insurance? If so, what provider and plan?

"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin