packerboy

Anyone have problems w/ Skytronic FX

I am on my second Skytronic FX now. The first one I got for Christmas 2003, did about 30 jumps on it and all the LCD panel lit up. I sent it to Parasport Italia through Unfeathered and they said there was a dislodged sensor. They tried to fix it, couldn't, and sent me a new one. The whole process took about 3 months to get the replacement (I'm in Canada).

I did 8 jumps on the replacement and all of a sudden the thing is going absolutely friggen apeshit. It beeps whenever it feels like it. Sometimes the display shows nothing, sometimes it cycles through the log quickly, and it is showing freefall speeds of 300+ mph.

I don't know whether they will replace it again, but I would really like the money back so I can just buy a Pro-Track.

The problem is I got the original one for Christmas 2003 which makes it an old purchase, but with all the problems I have had and with the short jump season here, I have only managed to put about 38 good jumps on the damn things.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I used to have a skytronic PRO which started beeping in the plane etc. after about 2 or 3 years and a few hundret jumps. My dealer sent it to italy and it also took quite some time. when I got it back I did a few jumps and it was gone again. I sent it back again and they offered my a upgrade to a new skytronic FX. I have this one for about 700 jumps now without any problems.
My advice: send it back again and see what you get, It will take some time for sure (I waited 2 or 3 month the first time, Austria is next to Italy, with doesn't see, to help anyway). Getting money back? I don't know. Maybe if your dealer does it, depending on where you got it from.

I got it from Para-Gear. When I contacted Para-Gear about the first one they brushed me off and told me to deal with the manufacturer which upset me a bit. Now that I have gone through another one I am a little skittish about trusting the product at all. If I could get a new one that actually works that would be great, but it would definately make me happy if I could just switch it with the dealer for a Protrack, which consequently is about the same price now with some dealers but not with Para-Gear (according to recent Parachutist advertisements).

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I had one back in '03 I think, it made it through 3 jumps then started beeping at 3 am, causing a terrible nightmare, replaced the batteries, worked once, then started beeping randomly. Returned it, got a new one (quick turnaround from unfeathered, great service), but THAT one failed after about a month too. Sent it back, got my money back and got a Pro-Dytter.
I suspected the high humidity/salinity of Hawaii air killed the Skytronic FX, but the pro-dytter has worked like a champ since.