kallend

iPAD

I love mine. My boss, who is almost totally computer illiterate, absolutely loves his. Loaned mine to a buddy to show his wife...a similar computer illiterate...and called me an hour later to thank me for costing him $$$$$.

The more I use mine the more I am impressed with the job Apple did with it.

Agreed. It's not a laptop replacement. As soon as you accept that, it becomes a natural way of doing things. I take it more to meetings than my laptop - but will still travel with the laptop.

It's all about what you need it for.

I love mine. My boss, who is almost totally computer illiterate, absolutely loves his. Loaned mine to a buddy to show his wife...a similar computer illiterate...and called me an hour later to thank me for costing him $$$$$.

Agreed. It's not a laptop replacement. As soon as you accept that, it becomes a natural way of doing things. I take it more to meetings than my laptop - but will still travel with the laptop.

OK, but it's still VERY irritating/inappropriate that the management of its content is all under Apple's control. I still haven't figured out how to, say, do something as simple as add or delete a picture without using iTunes and being linked to Apple's store.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

OK, but it's still VERY irritating/inappropriate that the management of its content is all under Apple's control. I still haven't figured out how to, say, do something as simple as add or delete a picture without using iTunes and being linked to Apple's store.

You can download photos to the iPad from a camera if you buy the camera connection thingie. You can save photos you come across on websites, etc by just holding your finger on the image until a menu pops up that gives you several options, one being "Save Image".

But deleting...as far as I can tell, you're right. I don't see any way to delete a photo in the "Photos" app.

I think that being tied to iTunes is going to continue...until they do something different(see below) There is no doubt that Apple wants to control the user experience and get you to buy through them...it's the way it is. One reason I can see it being this way is synchronizing data. I have two iPod Touches and one iPad "attached" to my MacBook....it gets complicated if you start deleting stuff on a device and want or don't want those changes to be reflected on all your other devices.

Write Apple a suggestion outlining your concerns. They do gather this stuff up and maybe they'll accommodate your concerns in a future OS revision.

I had an interesting discussion with our local Mac dealer a few days ago sort of related to this topic. He thinks that the future will be storing all your stuff in the cloud so that you aren't tied to a computer. Apple has built/is building a huge $1.5 billion dollar data storage facility in NC I think. It makes sense...why should you have to have a computer to own an iPad or an iPhone? Of course, I don't know how that will all work but I think Apple has some interesting stuff coming in this regard.

I guess you could look into jailbreaking it and seeing what options that might open.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I love mine. My boss, who is almost totally computer illiterate, absolutely loves his. Loaned mine to a buddy to show his wife...a similar computer illiterate....

you have accurately summarized its target audience, and the insidious part is Apple really really wants to keep the majority of its users exactly there so they are easier to sell appease and therefore sell to..

great hardware, lovely interface and overall design, completely hamstringing its user into single modes of thought and technical 'evolution' (only those apple approves and provides) stovepipe marketing at its best.

Hi murrays,

First, I do not own any Apple product.

He thinks that the future will be storing all your stuff in the cloud so that you aren't tied to a computer.

I just read an interesting article in this morning's paper about Microsoft and their Azure which is this very thing ( I think ).

It will be interesting to see what happens; getting awful hard to keep up, though.

JerryBaumchen

I had an interesting discussion with our local Mac dealer a few days ago sort of related to this topic. He thinks that the future will be storing all your stuff in the cloud so that you aren't tied to a computer.

Anybody that paid attention the day the Apple "Air" laptop was introduced should have picked up on that.

It IS the direction the entire industry wants to go. Getting there is the tough part.

From a manufacturer and service provider point of view it makes a lot of sense. From a customer viewpoint, it only makes SOME sense for SOME things.

That's the problem.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As Internet access gets faster and more reliable it will happen. :)

But there will ALWAYS be a very good reason to have local data as well as data on the cloud. Some information is safer on the cloud, some is less safe.

It makes a LOT of sense to backup data to the cloud. Even if your house caught on fire and was completely destroyed, the data would be backed up in a safe place.

That said, I'm not wild about the concept of my entire life being available to anyone with sufficient hacking skills or worse, for sale to the highest bidder. Not that I have anything to hide or that I think anyone has any interest in me as an individual, but I just don't want to be a node in a data mine.

There's also the issue of leaving a life-long trail on the cloud.

Maybe the winds change and someday so does the political climate. In this future dystopia, the NSA is tasked with finding all of the people that have written disparaging remarks about the group that is in power. Perhaps in my youth I had written some jokes about the group and had stored them on the cloud.

There would be no way of hitting the delete keys fast enough to erase the trail because the cloud is always backed up and the trail exists forever.

It's not that I'm convinced abuse would happen, but I'm positive the potential would always be there.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I also strongly dislike having to give Apple my credit card number just to be able to activate the thing.

Interesting. What part of the process required you to do that; simply being able to sync it to iTunes, setting up a "me.com" or "iBooks" account or activating the AT&T 3G service?

Just syncing it.

Feel the iPad Luv

As Internet access gets faster and more reliable it will happen. :)

But there will ALWAYS be a very good reason to have local data as well as data on the cloud. Some information is safer on the cloud, some is less safe.

It makes a LOT of sense to backup data to the cloud. Even if your house caught on fire and was completely destroyed, the data would be backed up in a safe place.

That said, I'm not wild about the concept of my entire life being available to anyone with sufficient hacking skills or worse, for sale to the highest bidder. Not that I have anything to hide or that I think anyone has any interest in me as an individual, but I just don't want to be a node in a data mine.

There's also the issue of leaving a life-long trail on the cloud.

Maybe the winds change and someday so does the political climate. In this future dystopia, the NSA is tasked with finding all of the people that have written disparaging remarks about the group that is in power. Perhaps in my youth I had written some jokes about the group and had stored them on the cloud.

There would be no way of hitting the delete keys fast enough to erase the trail because the cloud is always backed up and the trail exists forever.

It's not that I'm convinced abuse would happen, but I'm positive the potential would always be there.

I like the "cloud" for backing my stuff up...family photos, work material...all encrypted BUT, I still want all my data on a local hard drive that I can also back up, use when there is no internet available, etc.

As far as using something like Google apps for serious work....there is no way I can see it replacing Microsoft Excel which I spend the better part of every work day using. I think it will always be faster writing/reading from your local hard drive than it will be accessing your data out there somewhere. But, I am a one man show and for collaborative efforts by people in different physical areas...yeah, I can see that being a great capability.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I love mine but wish I had bought the 3G model instead of the wifi only. Also wish I had bought the 64gb model instead of 32gb.
--
Murray

Bump...

Want an IPad, trying to justify the cost; they've been out for a while now, and wondering what people's latest thoughts are on it???

thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Best,
Dru

You can get true cloud computing by installing Jolicloud (an Ubuntu Linux variant) on any netbook.

For the record, it's the only non-preinstalled Linux distro I've worked with on netbooks that functioned properly from the get-go, even on my HP-2133, which is an unusual netbook. Even with Windows systems, one must typically install vendor-specific device drivers.

You are also better off waiting until September when the WeTab will be widely available.

Yes, the iPad is wicked-kewl, but the DRM in the iPad is DEFECTIVE BY DESIGN.

The WeTab will have a webcam, USB, SDHC (I think), and Flash, things the iPad lacks.

And because it's Linux / Android, you won't have to f*** around with "jailbreaking" the device so that you can use it ways Lord Jobs doesn't want you to (up until a few days ago, you would have been a lawbreaker and could potentially have been imprisoned for doing so [DMCA violation. However, this has changed]).

The price won't be lower than the iPad, tho.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Bump...

Want an IPad, trying to justify the cost; they've been out for a while now, and wondering what people's latest thoughts are on it???

thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Best,
Dru

Had mine for several months now, but I got it as a gift and was my 1st apple product, so take that into consideration. Also it's the wifi only version.

I like it for reading books (ibooks & kindle), light surfing of the web, watching movies on plane, playing simple games like sudoku. As well as for doing quick checks of email instead of having to grab my phone if I don't want to boot up the laptop.

Dislike that the OS doesn't have multitasking, it's constant need for iTunes, won't charge off of a PC's USB, and doesn't support flash games or videos,

Would I buy one on my own after owning it...nope wouldn't waste my money.
Fly it like you stole it!

I am waiting for the iLiner to come out.

Its a smaller version, for those with a lighter work flow to deal with.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

they've been out for a while now, and wondering what people's latest thoughts are on it???

After using one, I stand by my original assessment.

The best analogy I can find for using the iPAD is that it's just like living with a control freak. (I should know, I lived with a control freak for 20 years before we divorced).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

they've been out for a while now, and wondering what people's latest thoughts are on it???

After using one, I stand by my original assessment.

The best analogy I can find for using the iPAD is that it's just like living with a control freak. (I should know, I lived with a control freak for 20 years before we divorced).

Depth-First Search (DPS) dating?