kallend

iPAD

Just got given an iPAD.

Have to say that I do not find it remotely intuitive. It forces me to do things in ways I don't want to. Seems to be one big marketing gizmo for iTunes.:|

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just got given an iPAD.

Have to say that I do not find it remotely intuitive. It forces me to do things in ways I don't want to. Seems to be one big marketing gizmo for iTunes.:|

I thought that was all the Apple stuff?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I love mine. My boss, who is almost totally computer illiterate, absolutely loves his. Loaned mine to a buddy to show his wife...a similar computer illiterate...and called me an hour later to thank me for costing him $$$$$.

The more I use mine the more I am impressed with the job Apple did with it.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Got to mess with one briefly at a Best Buy over the weekend.

I thought it was bigger. I tried playing some racing game on it but tilting to steer and sliding a finger up the screen to accelerate didn't seem very natural.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I love mine. My boss, who is almost totally computer illiterate, absolutely loves his. Loaned mine to a buddy to show his wife...a similar computer illiterate...and called me an hour later to thank me for costing him $$$$$.

The hardware is nice. The operating system sucks.

That's all is it. A computer for idiots that don't know how to use a computer.

A computer for idiots that don't know how to use a computer.

Therefore, everyone who does not know how to use a computer is an idiot. :S
How very GeekSquad.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

it's not a computer in a traditional way. It's a great gadget. Like most of Apple products.

Exactly. It's a niche product and that niche is media consumption, pure and simple.

Niche today, however, doesn't equal niche tomorrow.

It's an entirely new class of product not based on being a "computer" but rather a mobile display for consumption of various types of media.

Before the mid-'70s few people would have considers a "computer" to be a part of their lives. Any single person that owned a "computer" at the time probably built it and it had extremely limited capabilities.

Today it's nearly unimaginable that a household wouldn't have multiple computers in them. My house is no exception and I've actually lost count of the number of laptops I have available in it. It's at least a half dozen.

Anyone that is discounting the iPad because it doesn't fit their traditional idea of what a "computer" should be, isn't seeing the bigger picture.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The hardware is nice. The operating system sucks.

+1 the OS is junk in my opinion.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Nicely put,,,if one looks at it and accepts it for what it is and doesn't try to shoehorn it into what they want it to be, then its all good. Some day there will be an all in one device that makes us all happy,,,just not now.:P

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Apple products aren't gadgets, each product fits a specific niche and very well. Just look at the company's marketcap. iPod and the iPhones revolutionized their industries. MSFT launched the zune which never even touched the iPod and the zune has been loosing market share since 2009. The iPod has over 70% of the market share for portable music players. As to the iPhone, all other manufacturers are playing catch-up. Since it was released in 07 over 51 million units have been sold and quarterly sales have been strong and increasing since it was first released.

I've played with the iPad for a bit and liked it, but would not dish out $800 for one. You also have to remember that the iPad is not focused on productivity like a PC or laptop, nor is it a communications device like a cell phone, it's purpose is entertainment. It's meant to browse the web, emails, photos, playing games, and watching movies. All of which it does great, but beyond that don't expect much.

I see a few other wonderful use beyond that.

Hospitals. iPad would make an amazing interface into digital medical records.

iBook does a good job already with PDF files, just make them editable via the medical app, functions to send referrals, prescriptions, records to all associated parties and you have a winner.

Retail sales.

Wait staff.

Hospitality.

Dive flows and load sheets. :P

Apple products aren't gadgets, each product fits a specific niche and very well. Just look at the company's marketcap. iPod and the iPhones revolutionized their industries. MSFT launched the zune which never even touched the iPod and the zune has been loosing market share since 2009. The iPod has over 70% of the market share for portable music players. As to the iPhone, all other manufacturers are playing catch-up. Since it was released in 07 over 51 million units have been sold and quarterly sales have been strong and increasing since it was first released.

I've played with the iPad for a bit and liked it, but would not dish out $800 for one. You also have to remember that the iPad is not focused on productivity like a PC or laptop, nor is it a communications device like a cell phone, it's purpose is entertainment. It's meant to browse the web, emails, photos, playing games, and watching movies. All of which it does great, but beyond that don't expect much.

I still haven't figured out how to delete a photo without "synching" it away using iTunes on my regular computer. I *ASS*ume there is a way but it's not at all obvious.

I also strongly dislike having to give Apple my credit card number just to be able to activate the thing.

Still, shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. It came with "Winnie the Pooh" as its demo iBook.:D

I also strongly dislike having to give Apple my credit card number just to be able to activate the thing.

Interesting. What part of the process required you to do that; simply being able to sync it to iTunes, setting up a "me.com" or "iBooks" account or activating the AT&T 3G service?
quade -

Interesting. What part of the process required you to do that; simply being able to sync it to iTunes, setting up a "me.com" or "iBooks" account or activating the AT&T 3G service?

Just syncing it.

Just syncing it.

Interesting. I would think they wouldn't ask for that type of information until you actually were going to make a purchase through the device itself.

Is this a WiFi+3G model or WiFi only?
quade -

Just syncing it.

I can't remember if that was mandatory...I already had an iTunes account and when I set up my boss' I had to enter his cc # to set up the 3g account but can't remember if that was part of the sync process or a separate procedure with the Rogers network.

The mayor of NYC loves his iPad.

I think that consigning the iPad to being merely a "consumption" device is selling it WAY short. For example, I have a couple of photo editing programs that allow you to do some impressive stuff and I am certain many developers will provide some awesome programs for specific professions, disciplines, etc.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I can't wait to get one*. I have used a few and it is SWEET. It fucking prints money, dude.

I have a 64GB Ipod Touch built into my car, a 16gb Iphone**, and the 15" 3.06Ghz/8GB/1000GB Macbook Pro for Blagosphere work and editing.

*Belay that, I am waiting for the 128GB 4G/ new OS version to come out.
**I am eligable for an upgrade in november, and will get the 32GB Iphone4

WATCH THIS HILARITY -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

I think that consigning the iPad to being merely a "consumption" device is selling it WAY short. For example, I have a couple of photo editing programs that allow you to do some impressive stuff and I am certain many developers will provide some awesome programs for specific professions, disciplines, etc.

True, like most modern computers, they can be whatever software is loaded into them, but I think if you look at how the device is designed it becomes fairly obvious it was meant to be mostly a display device with limited original input from the user. For instance the touch screen is nice, but for serious text input even Steve Jobs says a traditional keyboard is the way to go and that would be an add on no matter how you look at it.
quade -

True, like most modern computers, they can be whatever software is loaded into them, but I think if you look at how the device is designed it becomes fairly obvious it was meant to be mostly a display device with limited original input from the user. For instance the touch screen is nice, but for serious text input even Steve Jobs says a traditional keyboard is the way to go and that would be an add on no matter how you look at it.

I have a Toshiba netbook that is a whole lot easier to type on. It also has more memory, runs a real spreadsheet/wp/database package and a nicer browser than Safari. Screen isn't as crisp is the only drawback I can see so far. On the whole I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the iPAD.

I see a few other wonderful use beyond that.

Hospitals. iPad would make an amazing interface into digital medical records.

iBook does a good job already with PDF files, just make them editable via the medical app, functions to send referrals, prescriptions, records to all associated parties and you have a winner.

Retail sales.

Wait staff.

Hospitality.

Dive flows and load sheets. :P

We have a pair of them at work that we bought to test, and while I can see them being useful in small shops, they're not (yet) set up for any serious enterprise use. The hardware is very nice, but I was frustrated with the interface having used webOS on my phone for the last year.

The lack of external storage and camera is disappointing, but It'll be interesting to see what the next OS update brings.

Just got given an iPAD.

The iPad is DEFECTIVE BY DESIGN!

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I can see the idea of the iPad revolutionizing the way data is used and presented in the sectors you mentioned. Just imagine the possibility for doctors. The iBook feature is great for college students, no more need to carry around all those heavy text books. It's just going to take some time to get there.