BillyVance

Things to do and places to see in Colorado in October

I've never been to Colorado, but it's where my wife and I have decided to spend our 10 year wedding anniversary. We'll only have 3 nights there and 2 full days with flights in and out of Denver.

We do want to see the mountains for sure, and probably will not stay in the same motel/hotel/inn/B&B each night. Wish we had more time but that's it.

So, any ideas? I do have a friend in Breckenridge if it's not too far.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's not much time, but you could rent a car at the airport and drive over to Breckenridge. I used to live in Boulder, and I can tell you that it can snow as early as September, or the temperature could be 85 in the daytime in October. Your friend in Breckenridge is probably your best resource on this trip. Congrats on 10 years.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Yippeee! October can be a nice time to be here! You will probably be a little late for fall leaves in the mountains but I would expect some beautiful days just the same.

Breck is an easy drive from Denver, so you should be able to stay in town or in the mountains. Are you looking for active things to do, or beautiful scenery to see? Do you need restaurant suggestions? There are LOTS of options!
TPM Sister #102

Vail's not too far from Breckenridge, either, and it's pretty romantic if you want an evening to yourselves. I think you can take a gondola to the top of the mountain (snow or no snow), which is fun.

Other suggestions: hockey will be starting about that time, if you want to catch an Avs game; that's about the right time to hear the elk bugling in Estes Park (and Estes Park is fun, too); there's a Georgetown Loop Railroad, where you can take a short ride of about an hour-and-a-half on a train through the mountains; there's an aquarium downtown. . . . Lots to do!
TPM Sister #102

Yippeee! October can be a nice time to be here! You will probably be a little late for fall leaves in the mountains but I would expect some beautiful days just the same.

Breck is an easy drive from Denver, so you should be able to stay in town or in the mountains. Are you looking for active things to do, or beautiful scenery to see? Do you need restaurant suggestions? There are LOTS of options!

December is a great time to visit also :)and Breck was lovely, I really enjoyed my visit there, the company probably had a lot to do with it too:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sure, go to Colorado after I've moved ;)

Breck is not a far drive from Denver, and you'll love the sights. Stay at a bed and breakfast place on main street and ride the chair lift up to the top of the ski runs and have lunch up there.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Just don't do what Skymama did the last time she was here.

I broke my wrists on the icy slopes in NC, not the fresh powder in CO. So there. :P

Billy, I enjoyed Garden of the Gods. We don't see stuff like that here in the south!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Now you can come stay with me in Calif.

Nice! I'd like that a lot! And of course, you're always welcome in FL! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Sure, go to Colorado after I've moved ;)

Damn you! Where'd you move to? I thought of you when I was making plans... [:/]

As luck would have it, we changed our schedule and decided to go with a weekend to weekend trip rather than a long weekend so we have 5 days in Colorado. More time to see stuff. :)
To all, thanks for the suggestions, I did plan on making a roundabout tour around central Colorado including Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak, Breckenridge, and other points as I delve into this more... Would also like to check out the bridge that the base jumpers did a major event at a few years back.

Keep the ideas coming! :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There's one in Breckenridge... Cool! B|

Other ideas.... hot springs in Idaho Springs just off I-70 going west from Denver...

Jerry says: "Billy - I told you to take the I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, goddamnit. Don't fuck with me. You better do it. It is not an option. If you do not take the I-70 through Glenwood Canyon and have pancakes at the Village Inn in Glenwood Springs we will have a problem. I'll have some of my boyz show up at your place, tie you to a chair, tape your eyes open and make you watch the Thirty-something box set."

:D

Mt Evans is the highest paved road in the US. You get there on 103 in Idaho Springs on I 70,then follow the signs. Get to see the mountain goats.
Breck up I 70 from there. . Take Loveland pass US6 instead of the Eisenhower tunnel.
If you have time I would go south out of Breck on 9 to Buena Vista. The Mt Princton hot springs are nice and there is a drive in movie theater in Buena. There is also a haunted B&B in St Elmo up the canyon from the hot springs.
I'd get 4WD if you are going this way, it starts snowing in August.
Check with the locals about road conditions and what tourist stuff is open. Labor day to Thanksgiving is off season.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

A ha,,she's goint to be whispering sweet nothings,,in your ear.....:P:o

She could just hock a lugee and it would be about the same.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun