d_squared431

Would you notify DMV?

I completed confidential form and am sending it today to DMV.

Would you do the same thing if you knew about a persons medical conditions, if they were too old to be driving, etc?
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

If they are a liability to others it's arguably your responsibility to do it.

Those who have the ability to act have the responsibility to do so? Reminds me of the beginning of The Boondock Saints when the priest was telling the story about Kitty Genovese.

The life you save could be your own!

our of curiosity are you a doctor?
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Yeah, I would. It's for their safety and for the safety of anyone they come in contact with.

Just this morning driving to work... a little old lady was in front of me, she could barely see over the steering wheel. She was at a complete stop for a right hand turn at a green light. (It was green already as we approached, so there was really no need for her to stop at all.) She just sat there, like she didn't know what to do, then proceeded slowly driving 10 mph in a 40 mph zone. It would be in her best interest for someone to probably do the same for her as well. :(

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Is this about your parents or next door neighbor or who?

Patient...

Have done it on more than one occasion. I hate to be the guy taking away people's licenses, but medical reasons (uncontrolled sz d/o, etc) to keep the rest of the driving public safe outweigh their wishes to keep driving.
Sometimes it is temporary, sometimes it is permanent.

Also, I failed plenty on the DOT exams, not because I don;t like them or don't want them to drive, but the DOT has quite an extensive restriction list about who is allowed to drive commercially.

Edited to add: I always tell the patient that I am doing it, and not pull something sneaky behind their back.

some people are just to old to be driving safely...it really sucks having to break that news to someone. my grandma was one of them her last car a gigantic Cadillac had whiskey dents and scrapes all over the bumpers yet she had no recollection of any mishaps somebody apparently just kept dinging her parked car:S

I was with my bro at doctors row here a while back looking at their ponds when an old lady just plowed int the back of my brothers truck destroyed the front right quarter panel of her van i got out of the truck to see if they were ok... she just hit reverse and drove around us. I'm waving my arms and everything saying hey you just creamed us lady, nothing..she drove around the parking lot and just parked:D

i walked over there again to see if she was alright and all she had no clue what so ever of what happened she thought i was crazy...she got some mentally challenged guy out of the passenger side and walked him towards the docs offices...van was all kinds of beat to death and busted open all over the place....unfortunately my brother had to file the report just incase she would of come back after saying he backed into her or something crazy like that...poor old lady, sux they probably yanked her license right there

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Patient came into our office to so he could get cleared to work because of an incident at work. He says it was and episode not a seizure but his employer sent over information saying it was seizure. Patient has a history of seizures and in 2009 he had a near fatal accident while driving. Luckily the only one injured was himself.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Patient...

HIPPA issue?

No, it is not.

Section 322.126(2),(3) states any physician, persons, or agency having knowledge of any licensed driver or applicant's mental or physical disability is Autherized to report such knowledge to the DMV.The reporters autherized by this section shall be confidential...No civil or criminal actions may be taken or brought against them.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Patient...

HIPPA issue?

No, it is not.

Section 322.126(2),(3) states any physician, persons, or agency having knowledge of any licensed driver or applicant's mental or physical disability is Autherized to report such knowledge to the DMV.The reporters autherized by this section shall be confidential...No civil or criminal actions may be taken or brought against them.

Are you stating that the patient should NOT be allowed to register a car, wether or not he has a valid license, for use of a hired driver.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Patient...

HIPPA issue?

No, it is not.

Are you stating that the patient should NOT be allowed to register a car, wether or not he has a valid license, for use of a hired driver.

I am glad you brought that up. Due to conversations with this patient and him stating he would drive regardless if he had his drivers license is revoked. I feel he should not be able to have registered vehicle. No license, no registration that means no car insurance.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Patient...

HIPPA issue?

No, it is not.

I am glad you brought that up. Due to conversations with this patient and him stating he would drive regardless if he had his drivers license is revoked. I feel he should not be able to have registered vehicle. No license, no registration that means no car insurance.

Seems like it might end up beig a civil rights issue.:o

Edited to add:

I didn't think it was leagal to prevent someone from owning something because of thoughts, as opposed to actions.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Dont go getting my thread moved to that PLACE(SC) dammit!!! :P

I think the county where the patient lives wont allow anyone without a license or insurance to register car in their name.

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do; restricting the guy from having a car is probably going too far - he could have friends, family, or (as Turtle suggested) a hired driver. Owning and registering a vehicle is not inherently a safety issue; operating said vehicle is (in the medical opinion of the person reporting) inherently unsafe. The medical professional has now done their part to restrict the operation of the vehicle. That's really as far as it goes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Why would that matter? [:/] you are saving a life, maybe there's more likely an innocent person!

It matters a lot because a person may have actual knowledge or is just being a prick. The person may be making a rightful judgement or an uninformed assumption.

It's a tough call to hang up your own spurs so I would understand why some people push it. It would also be humiliating as hell to get a call from the DVM telling you to do so just because some prick down the street thought you were "old."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Why would that matter? [:/] you are saving a life, maybe there's more likely an innocent person!

It matters a lot because a person may have actual knowledge or is just being a prick. The person may be making a rightful judgement or an uninformed assumption.

It's a tough call to hang up your own spurs so I would understand why some people push it. It would also be humiliating as hell to get a call from the DVM telling you to do so just because some prick down the street thought you were "old."

I don't think it works like that Paul - Deedy and I do this from the perspective of a medical evaluation and determination of fitness to drive.

If you called up the DMV and address confidential concerns about someone's driving as a private citizen, I can see them maybe making you come in to have a driving fitness exam, but they could not pull your license outright.

I'm like the O.P. in that I work professionally with people and sometimes have to report them due to a known, verified condition. I would not report my neighbor down the street based on my speculation. Professional responsibility takes precedence, though.

I've also had to report people to child protective services, human rights committees, parole officers, and all sorts of other places.

It's not always pleasant but I have always told people when I reported them. I also make sure I go over the exceptions to privacy every year when they sign their human rights notification with the agency and consent to continue receiving services.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

IMO, there's two sides of this.

1. Integrity come into question if a provider knowingly doesn't actively take step to safeguard the patient and others on the road if the patient is physically unsafe to drive.

2. There's also the CYA, a lawsuit could come from someone who was injured by the patient if all steps to prevent the patient from driving.
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

So, will your identity remain anonymous or will that be disclosed?

I wish my dad wasn't driving. He's post-op from a stroke but continues against his doctors advice.[:/]

Only the DMV will know. They will send a letter to the patient for him to have forms completed based on his medical condition.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

"autherized" ?????
Really?:S
Are you in Kentucky or Tennessee???
:D:D:D

Dammit lisah! you are suppose to catch my fat finger type O's...:P

No, but my step dad is...:P:D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

My dad passed out coming to a stop in his Toyota Prius at a red light and smacked the rear end of the car in front of him so luckily it was a low speed impact but he was still out when people went to check on him. He woke up moments later and EMTs decided he needed to go to the hospital and be checked out despite having no cuts or obvious injuries. He voluntarily gave up driving until doctors could pinpoint the cause of the blackout, and he's 74. He's an engineer and is still mentally intact and for that I'm thankful.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban