skydiverkeith

Proffesional pilot feasability?

For those that have experience, how practical would it be for myself, with an established career in an unrelated field, being 29 years old and living in Dallas, to start training and pursue a career as a professional pilot starting from scratch?

Meaning, other than skydiving, I have zero aviation experience and expect the end result to pay the bills without supplemental income.

Pipe dream or doable?
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

At 29 it would be doable. It's a pretty damn big educational investment in both time and money. It will also be a LONG uphill slog for a job that doesn't pay anywhere nearly as much as you'd think considering the enormous responsibility.

Regardless of what you may hear from training facilities or AOPA, there will NEVER be a "pilot shortage." There will ALWAYS be people willing to fly for less money.

Do a LOT of research before going down that road. You might want to talk to some of your drop zone pilots that are undoubtedly attempting it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you have an established career, look into flight training during your off hours, and be prepared to never see a return on the investment. You need 250 hours to get a commercial rating before you can make dime one, and even then it's going to be $10/load flying jumpes in a 182, or $20/hour towing banners or as a CFI (if you add that rating). Either way, you're a long way off from 'making money' flying, and things may change in the industry in the meantime.

If you're really serious, you can get into a 'professional' flight shcool, and for $30k get into a job flying cargo or for a regional carrier making $16k per year. It would include odd hours, and possible relocation.

It's a tough 'career path' given the regs and the way the industry works. You might be better off to call it a 'hobby' at first and work your way into making some side money flying jumpers or teaching at a local flight school. It will get you 'in the game' and building some experience. You might stumlbe into a turbine gig at a DZ, or a corporate flight department somewhere.

Just go log a few hours in a 172 and see what you think, it's a pretty fun time.

The other guys nailed it. Stared training for a new career in aviation at 29. It's been 11 yrs now and I would consider myself successful but also very lucky. I know many that have not been.
Go hang out at airports and make connections. That's the way to succeed. It really is about who you know....although it doesn't hurt to be a good pilot as well;)

Good luck

Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

One 737 pilot friend of mine said that pursuing a career in aviation is much like being an English professor... You better love the job 'cuz chances are you won't make much money.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Get a job doing something else that makes a decent living, then fly for fun on your own dime. Flying will just turn into a job anyways, and you won't make enough to pay for your ramen noodles.

Probably the best answer so far.

You say you have an established career.

Are you willing to throw that all away to put yourself into deep debt (4year college level debt) for a job that might pay 20k/yr for a long time?

It's a lot of hard work, stress, long hours and time away from home for very little money. If you don't have the passion for it, you won't be happy.

Like davelepka said, go take an intrductory "First Flight" lesson. Find a decent flight school in your area, go out and talk to them. Kinda like a tandem, they'll teach you the bare basics on the ground (15-30 min) take you up and let you do a good bit of the flying. Maybe give you a logbook and a certificate.

Then you decide if it's something you want to pursue.

I'd suggest doing the "evenings and weekends" thing (if you have a job where you can have a morning or afternoon off a couple times a week that's best) and get your private. Build hours and get your commercial (single engine). That will let you fly jumpers at a 182 DZ, and you will start earning a bit of money back, and be an asset to the DZ.

Plan on it being an expensive hobby that will support itself after a while and you won't be disappointed.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I have a friend who kept being an engineer for a number of years after starting to fly; kept building hours, too.

That way when the job offer finally came (Delta needed more over-40 pilots apparently :D) he had the savings and the wife to be able to be a pilot for their regional airline for whatever they paid. If he'd needed that income to survive, he'd probably still be an engineer.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

...and I have an ex-jumper buddy that was an engineer for raytheon into his early 30's when he got the bug and started flying.

He jumped through the hoops and at 40 was right seat in 737's for a major.

He's 56 now and was just recently retired on a medical, did it right and is getting 80% pay until 65...went back to engineering and hopefully will wander back into skydiving one of these days.

If ya want to fly bad enough and are willing to play the game it's more than a 'maybe'.

~On a personal note;
I had a roomie in college that was going through the flight program. He would constantly tell me to change majors and get flying...I thought I would rather jump than fly.

His dad was #10 in seniority at UAL and often told me the same thing, all but promised me a job...:S

If I knew then what I know NOW...we'd have TWO airline Captains in the house! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thats where the military really paid off. Getting my flight school paid for fully with an extra 1300 a month on top of that. Saying its a lot of work doesn't even scratch the surface.
As for me, I just got my private last month and come next month will be working on my multi engine and IFR in a seminole. On top of that I'll be taking aerophysics and a airplane systems class.
I've loved airplanes and anything that flys since I was a baby. That love hasn't changed. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that when I'm studying for the next test (they NEVER end).
I know IF I succeed I won't be making much money for a long time. Without the gi bill I would have never done it.

And there have been many mornings I have wanted to just give up. I Haven't mainly because I don't want to have to tell my family I quit.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.