Pendejo

My FreeZR helped save my ass (or at least face)

I had a cutaway 2 weeks ago. I fly a Katana 120 loaded at 1.9/1. I had at least 4 wraps of line twists (and the spin that induced was wild). When I cutaway I rolled to my left (I was on my back) while pulling the cutaway handle. The three ring from my left shoulder struck the lexan visor on my FreeZR so hard that it broke the visor in the area where my cheekbone is. We have a swampy area at our DZ (and naturally the winds put the spot over it that day). I barley made it to the closest field as it was (I sat in under the reserve at around 2200 feet). I believe that if I hadn't been wearing a full face helmet I would have landed in the swamp (the extra 2 or 3 seconds to recover from the shot to the face would have made me sit in lower).

I'm just starting to freefly, and I think I want to get a full face helmet for that as well. Are there any helmets out there for freeflyers other than the bonehead (its way cool, I'm just looking for other options)?

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

Why not just keep using the FreeZR to freefly in? I use my Z1 for both RW and freefly jumps. I do occasionaly get the "you freefly in a fullface?" question. To which I respond "why not?" I've never been too cool for a little extra face protection... well I've probably never been that cool :S My mug ain't much to look at but I like to keep it the way it is.

The FreeZR is held in place on your head by the pads inside (no draw string like the z-1). The strap that goes under your chin is really my only complaint with the helmet. I can (and do) put my helmet on and take it off the the strap still done (I think its to far forward). While it has never given me a problem doing RW, my fear is that it will come of in freefall with the higher speeds of freeflying. I have jumped it while in a sit (if you want to call it a sit) and it rides up on my head.

Pendejo

I have a FreeZR, and had the same concern. So I added a second strap at the back of my head. I used a couple of set screws, some tape, and velcro to hold it.

It's very secure now, without impinging on my neck at all.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have a freeZr too, and even though i can take the helmet off with the little strap in place, i have done some freeflying in it and the helmet has stayed put... i've always been a bit wary of it though, the second strap sounds like a good idea

I know a large amount of folks taht freefly in fullfaces. They all seem to do about the same. A couple friends of mine dont like to sit in factory divers because of their closure systems. They've had them slip off before. The z-1's i've seen freeflown a lot...keep in mind that they dont have a chin strap. Oxygen's are very similar to the factory divers, but have flip up visors. They are great helmets. I would say though, that your best bet is the Z-1.

Cheers,
Travis

The z-1's i've seen freeflown a lot...keep in mind that they dont have a chin strap.

Mine does. It doesn't have a chin cup, but it does have a strap that goes under my jaw and fastens just aft of my chin. When freeflying I tend to tighten it a bit.

I have a FreeZR, and had the same concern. So I added a second strap at the back of my head. I used a couple of set screws, some tape, and velcro to hold it.

It's very secure now, without impinging on my neck at all.

Do you have any pics of it? I would love to see the mod you did. It sounds like it would fix my concern.

Thanks!

Pendejo

It's at the DZ right now, but I'll for sure bring it home and scan it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The strap that goes under your chin is really my only complaint with the helmet. I can (and do) put my helmet on and take it off the the strap still done (I think its to far forward). While it has never given me a problem doing RW, my fear is that it will come of in freefall with the higher speeds of freeflying

I tightened mine up as much as I could and swung it to the rear a bit.
I have taken mine to 290 MPH on my head( Not that spikey fake reading.. I speed skydive)

I have managed to get unstable a bit at those speeds and although it did not feel as secure as I wanted it.. it did not come off. I too was thinking about adding another strap just to be sure.. losing it with my two Pro Dytters in it would be a bummer...

While pulling the cutaway handle. The three ring from my left shoulder struck the lexan visor on my FreeZR so hard that it broke the visor in the area where my cheekbone is.

i got wanged in the temple with my middle 3ring on my last cutaway (brakefire w/lots of linetwists)
i was wearing my "gay-biker" bonehead halfshell.
i didnt quite realize what that stinging feeling was until after i was under my reserve.
it left a nice mark for a few days, but i didnt get any stupider thankfully:P

Here they are. I used some tape I had lying around to attach the D-ring. I would actually suggest using something a little wider, but, well, this works.
The screws are aluminum set-screws I got from the local hardware store; the shanks were 1/4" I think.

Wendy W.

I'm pretty sure that neither your face nor your ass are worth saving.;). As a teammate, I should know.

Now now darkwing, I agree about the face not being worth saving, but where else could we find a team mate with a virgin a$$ in this sport?

Seriously though, I think any good full face would have helped in this situation. Personally, I'm partial to the Oxygens, but I'm glad this turned out alright.

I do look forward to putting that Freezer to good use doing some 4 way jumps though.

Ganja "Face kicker" Rodriguez