Nataly

struggling to find an "interesting fact"...

We have a team event for work coming up, and I have to give an interesting fact about myself that no one else knows about..

I'm struggling.. Is the fact that I've never had a tooth cavity interesting?? It's all I can come up with that wouldn't obviously be associated with me! D'oh!

Is it wrong to make something up?? :ph34r:
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I'm struggling.. Is the fact that I've never had a tooth cavity interesting?? It's all I can come up with that wouldn't obviously be associated with me! D'oh!

Nataly and the toothless posse. After all, you're not a Brit. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We have a team event for work coming up, and I have to give an interesting fact about myself that no one else knows about..

It's just an ice breaker question. Take the opportunity to find one that doesn't sound like you're either bragging or too willing to share information people really don't need to know. This is a common mistake. It's generally not the place to tell people you're a huge Star Trek fan and attend ComicCon in costume unless maybe you work for a guy that also does.

I wouldn't make anything up that's an outright lie, but if you occasionally volunteer at a homeless shelter or something, this is probably a good opportunity to mention it as it proves you're a team player.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Nataly and the toothless posse. After all, you're not a Brit. :D

OMG you're right - the tooth thing would OBVIOUSLY be a non-Brit!!! :D:D

And Quade - nice idea, but what?? I don't want to come across like a goodie-goodie either.. But I agree - I don't want anything too personal or too outrageous.. It needs to be a bit boring / safe for work..
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

It needs to be a bit boring / safe for work..

Well, not too boring. If the "interesting fact" is perceived as boring, that's the wrong direction as well.

Make it something that's only one standard deviation away from center. Something that would be popular, but not everybody does but enough that people can identify with it. Skydiving is too far out there, so I'd leave that one alone. Actually, if you can conspire with a friend of yours so that after you say "mountain biking" they then pipe up and say, "Really? You think that's more interesting than when you go skydiving?" that would be awesome. That way it's not you bringing it up.

Or if they all already know you skydive, then you get extra cool-points for not making a big deal out of it.

BTW, if you think this is all just me being too much of a game player . . . that's what corporate "team building" bullshit is all about. I've never seen a single one that wasn't smothered in bullshit subtext.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah.. What makes it tricky is that everyone knows each-other quite well already, but this is meant to be a "bonding" event, so the emphasis is on something no one knows about you.. A couple of people already know I skydive.. Everyone knows about my motorcycle (because I ride to work every day).. It's obvious I'm Canadian (and my French surname marks me out as a froggy).. The guy who hired me knows I was in the military.. And in any case, I'm not especially keen to widely spread any of this info at work anyway because I'm an accountant and I don't want to come across like an adrenaline freak!!!

Hmm.. Tricky.. So the cavity thing is not interesting, then.. Bugger.

And ok.. You're probably spot-on with regards to the corporate bull-shit thing.. Still.. Makes me want to puke a little!! :S:|

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Oh.. I've just thought of something:

I have never gotten any points on my driver's licence, nor have I ever gotten a speeding ticket.

(Note: over here, you start with zero and gain points for bad driving.)

Not only is it a little unusual, but given I have a motorcycle, people won't really guess it could be me :)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

It needs to be a bit boring / safe for work..

So breast symmetry is out of the question?;)

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

That might work. Since people know all the other stuff, it might show you also understand how to manage risk rather than simply "take" it.

Man, you're quite good at this office politics stuff, aren't you?!! Do you give seminars? I could brush up on my skills!! :D

Actually, I really could! :$
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Do they know that you jump out of airplanes? The first manfunction you had. You looked up, your throat got tight and you thought, "Oh, SHIT!" Then your trainning kicked in and you handled it apparently routinely to everyone who observed it.. Am I correct? that's the typical reaction to a first malfunction Wheather you shared the oh shit part with anyone else, your co-workers will never know. That's the part you relate. The oh shit part. They perceive that you are heroec/corageous (for skydiving) and human for showing the momentary self doubt. If you haven't yet had a malfunction, ignore all of this.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

what about a favorite movie star, or favorite band (esp if the band is some smaller, local group)? If your favorite food is exotic, that might be interesting but not easy to guess. Do you cook, sing, or play an instrument? or enjoy a particular type of book that no one would guess? Something that is outside of the stereotype that normally follows the skydiving, motorcycle riding, willing-to-uproot-to-work-in-another-country type of a girl they see every day. Hopefully this sparks some other ideas that might work.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Sorry. I can't contribute. The only things I can come up with are probably not appropriate for your workplace.

Wait a minute...do you by chance work in a strip club?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well, to quote you from another thread-

"I have found that peeing on it does the job."

So they might find it interesting to know that you mark your territory! ;)

Hmmm... Water sports... An *excellent* thing to discuss at work!! :ph34r::ph34r:;)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I found your obsession with sex interesting.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3924355#3924355

Or does everyone at work know about that?

Maybe a random thing like the fact that the word;

Floccinaucinihilipilification

Is the second longest word in the english language.

The reason why it is more interesting than the longest word is that Floccinaucinihilipilification is an estimation of something being worthless.

:D:D:D

Ah ha ha!! I *hope* no one at work knows about that!! :D

I keep things professional at work and don't discuss my love-life. Some people know that I don't have a boyfriend, but that's it.

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

interesting fact:

You can take all of the letters in the word, "Mother-in-law" and change them around and it will spell...

Woman Hitler

fact...

:P

:D:D

I hope you're not suggesting I should use this example as en interesting fact about me?!! :D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss