skydude2k

Wings Stiff Cutaway problem

I have just sent my new wings to my friendly neighbourhood rigger for is first reserve repack. Strange thing happened when I went to cut away the main canopy. The cut away was very stiff it was very difficult to pull with one hand. Had to use both hands. I could see that the cables were having trouble coming out of the housing. On inspection of the yellow Teflon cables had a black rubbery gooiey substance on them. Looked at my wife’s wings which was made at the same time had a lesser amount of the same stuff on the cables. Cut away force was a little stiffer than I would have liked but manageable with one hand though, not like mine. I discussed this with the rigger and he suggested cleaning the cutaway system as per the service bulletin on the ICON. I’m thinking that its unlikely a build up of dirt as these rigs are less that 6 months old. Has anyone else seen any similar problems on their rig?
Doug Mclelland
OC - Team Fusion
A mind like a parachute, tends to work
better when open.

Clean your cutaway cables more often. Use the manufacturers recommended method, not any of the myriad methods that you will hear on this forum.

Edit to add: 6 months is far to long to go between cutaway cable cleanings.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Clean your cutaway cables more often.

6 weeks is too long to go between (yellow) cutaway cable cleanings...... along with main closing loops, cutaway cables are usually the most under maintained part of any system. Clean'em and Lub'em people!!!!!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Thanks for you input. The wings manual states that the assembly should be inspected every month. Proper maintainence is always a good idea. I can't see any recommendations for cleaning inside the housings however. Have not seen this problem in any of the previous 6 or 7 rigs I have owned from various manufacturers. Same maintenance schedule, number of jumps in the same conditions. Just though that there might be more to the problem than accumulation of dirt. Could be a supplier issue if the ICON service bulletin and this problem are related (Im not suggesting they are but thought I’d throw my tupence worth in). It felt like the inside of the housing was coated with rubber and the houding material may be used with rubber inside in another application. I don't want this thread to degrade in to just a debate about kit maintenance. Has anyone else seen a similar problem on their rig.
Doug Mclelland
OC - Team Fusion
better when open.

I have had 6 cutaways while jumping Various Wings containers and have never had even the slightest problem pulling the cutaway handle.

Keep in mind that just because you never had the problem before and your wife doesn't have it on hers doesn't mean that yours isn't just dirty. You could have been out there on a windy day packing once and dirt ended up in the housings. Just because you always follow the same maintenance schedule doesn't mean something different didn't happen this time.

I would try to clean the cables and pull the handle a few more times to make sure everything is OK. If not, contact Wings and I am sure they will work it out with you.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Clean your cutaway cables more often.

6 weeks is too long to go between (yellow) cutaway cable cleanings...... along with main closing loops, cutaway cables are usually the most under maintained part of any system. Clean'em and Lub'em people!!!!!
__________________________-

I know jumpers with 400 - 500 jumps who don't know how to re-connect their 3-ring system or are un-sure of it. You are correct about the system being the most under maintained part of their entire system. When I try to help some of these folks, I'm met with the response; "That's why I pay you!"[:/] I get the impression that, a lot of folks don't really want to know all there is to know about their rigs!?:S

Chuck

I have just sent my new wings to my friendly neighbourhood rigger for is first reserve repack. Strange thing happened when I went to cut away the main canopy. The cut away was very stiff it was very difficult to pull with one hand. Had to use both hands. I could see that the cables were having trouble coming out of the housing. On inspection of the yellow Teflon cables had a black rubbery gooiey substance on them. Looked at my wife’s wings which was made at the same time had a lesser amount of the same stuff on the cables. Cut away force was a little stiffer than I would have liked but manageable with one hand though, not like mine. I discussed this with the rigger and he suggested cleaning the cutaway system as per the service bulletin on the ICON. I’m thinking that its unlikely a build up of dirt as these rigs are less that 6 months old. Has anyone else seen any similar problems on their rig?

Just clean and lightly lubricate the cables and reinsert. There's no difference in the hardware that Wings uses from any other rig. If you get foreign matter in there, you're going to risk higher cutaway forces.

When I try to help some of these folks, I'm met with the response; "That's why I pay you!"[:/] I get the impression that, a lot of folks don't really want to know all there is to know about their rigs!?

I definitely don't have the same attitude as the above, but I do expect a rigger to clean and lub my cutaway cables during a repack. I then clean it once in between and I'm good to go. I wonder if the rigger who repacked these rigs cleaned the cutaway cables.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I can't see any recommendations for cleaning inside the housings however. Have not seen this problem in any of the previous 6 or 7 rigs I have owned from various manufacturers. Same maintenance schedule, number of jumps in the same conditions. Just though that there might be more to the problem than accumulation of dirt.

Pull the cable every month and flex the three ring webbing. Lubricate the cable and then clean it off before reinstering. It may be that the cable was lubricated and not adequatly cleaned on the last repack, and thus more dirt was able to accumulate.

Not all riggers deal with the cutaway system. Check with yours and see if he inspects and lubricates this component as part of a repack. Also, see if he checks the main parachute and pilot chute. That's not part of the TSO'ed system, but a good rigger will cover the main too as part of a standard repack.

Ask to be sure you know what is included in your repack, and if you want more work done request it. Some riggers may charge extra, and some customers may choose to take their business elsewhere. It's your choice.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

If you pack your rig on a carpet as most of us do, there is a sufficient amount on static electricity on the floor, which pulls lint and dirt from the carpet into your metal cutaway housings. It doesnt take long to build up either. Think about it, you throw your rig down 5-20 times a weekend to be repacked, it adds up.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I had the exact same thing happen to me on a rig freshly made from the factory in January of 02. Pulled the cutaway cables and they were black black with gunk. Had to clean with Silicone sprayed on a clean rag, replace, and recheck 3 times before they started coming out clean.

--
Hook high, flare on time

During the manufacturing process of the cable routings, oil is used. The oil on the outside of the routing is cleaned-off. There is an oil residue that remains on the inside of the routing. As was mentioned in an earlier post, dirt and lint is 'attracted' by static electricity. As was recommended, the cables should be cleaned more often than just the 120-day re-pack cycle.

Chuck

I definitely don't have the same attitude as the above, but I do expect a rigger to clean and lub my cutaway cables during a repack. I then clean it once in between and I'm good to go. I wonder if the rigger who repacked these rigs cleaned the cutaway cables.

Every harness-container that comes to my shop, during the course of the inspection, I wipe down the cables with a clean cloth then, apply a light coat of pure silicone to the cables. To me, that is part of the inspection process.

Chuck

Honest question: is the cable housing not a standard item supplied to all (/many/most/several??) manufacturers from the same producer?

The primary supplier in the US is Metal Flex Hosing Inc located in Philladelphia PA. Most if not all manufacurers use them as they supply a variety of diameters and will cut to length complete with the brass ferriles (sp) attached.

The cutting fluid that is left on the inside, will for a time attract a lot of dirt. As it gradually dissapates the dirt becomes much less, but it's still there.

The technical spec for cut away housings from the mfg is : TCA S/S .172 relaxed, then the length you specifiy (TCA if you didn't already know stands for Telephone Cable Armor) S/S = stainless steel, .172 = the inside diameter of the housing and relaxed describes the housing at rest (under no strain). Remember the housings are compression type housings not expansion ones, Expansion type housings would allow the cable to be pulled through the loop if the housing became snagged on somthing, not good. So now you know!

You'll never loook at a public phone the same way again.

Mick.

Ps: Most mfg's use TCA S/S .260 relaxed for their ripcord housings.

With Aerodyne having this problem as well, is there a chance they have changed the cutting fluid they use?

Is there a solvent or cleaning procedure the mfgs could use before installation? It would certainly be easier and open to wider range of cleaners as there would be no risk of damaging the container (as when you try to clean them after the fact).

I don't think I've looked at a public phone in years anyway.

With Aerodyne having this problem as well, is there a chance they have changed the cutting fluid they use?

Is there a solvent or cleaning procedure the mfgs could use before installation? It would certainly be easier and open to wider range of cleaners as there would be no risk of damaging the container (as when you try to clean them after the fact).

I don't think I've looked at a public phone in years anyway.

As for the cutting fluid I cant say, as I don't deal with them any more. As for the problem extending to other mfg's housings, absolutly. That is why they all have critical item traceability built in to their TSO processes, just in case there is a systemic problem. It has happened in the past with other components/ raw materials, BUT I'M NOT repeat NOTSAYING THERE IS A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM HERE. It could just an isolated incident they do happen, even in small clusters. I would call the mfg and ask them if they think this is becoming a trend. It's good to stay informed.

Mick.

tombuch:

Lubricate the cable and then clean it off before reinstering. It may be that the cable was lubricated and not adequatly cleaned on the last repack, and thus more dirt was able to accumulate.

masterrig:

I wipe down the cables with a clean cloth then, apply a light coat of pure silicone to the cables.

So, should you wipe off the silicone before reassembling the system? I do, but I'd like to make sure it's the right thing to do.

edited to close tags properly

I had the exact same thing happen to me on a rig freshly made from the factory in January of 02. Pulled the cutaway cables and they were black black with gunk. Had to clean with Silicone sprayed on a clean rag, replace, and recheck 3 times before they started coming out clean.

The cutting fluid that is left on the inside, will for a time attract a lot of dirt. As it gradually dissapates the dirt becomes much less, but it's still there.

During the manufacturing process of the cable routings, oil is used. The oil on the outside of the routing is cleaned-off. There is an oil residue that remains on the inside of the routing.

Thanks dudes I am starting to understand now. I think that the point has been well made about maintaining the 3ring correctly and ensuring that the cutaway housings and cables are cleaned regularly and in the correct manner. It also looks like there are some extra considerations to be aware off on new kit due to possible contaminants introduced in the manufacturing process. These can either cause a problem themselves and/or amplify the effect of dirt in the housings. Thanks again all for your input

Doug Mclelland
OC - Team Fusion
better when open.

tombuch:

Lubricate the cable and then clean it off before reinstering. It may be that the cable was lubricated and not adequatly cleaned on the last repack, and thus more dirt was able to accumulate.

masterrig:

I wipe down the cables with a clean cloth then, apply a light coat of pure silicone to the cables.

So, should you wipe off the silicone before reassembling the system? I do, but I'd like to make sure it's the right thing to do.

edited to close tags properly
_________________________________-

I Just apply a light coating of silicone. I have a cloth that I've saturated with silicone that I wipe the cables down with. I want enough so as to act as a lubricant, a light 'film' so to speak. It's the same silicone as used on Cypres loops.

Chuck

I pulled the cutaway on my girlfriend's new Wings container last weekend as we were swapping canopies on it. The rig had not been jumped yet, but it was a tough two-handed pull for me on the ground. If she'd had to pull it in the air...well, I don't want to think about it.

The rig had just been assembled by a rigger. I had the rigger at Z-Hills hit the cables with some silicone lubricant and they were good to go.

There was no visible residue on the cables but they were extremely tacky.

Just a heads-up.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™