mrwrong

Talk your way out of THIS speeding ticket

It doesn't matter how many times you go back and forth on a road, that doesn't stop someone from driving toward you on the road when you have assured yourself that it is empty. It doesn't prevent a couple people from coming toward you, with one of them passing the other. they see you way far ahead and think they have time to pass, but don't really because you're going twice the legal limit.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think we've established that you're in a small minority. Might be time to re-evaluate your opinion in that light, or at least make sure that your insurance is paid up.

The fact that you haven't died doing something doesn't make it safe.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I love arguing with a police officer over the internet, about SPEEDING of all things. HA! You will argue all day about not speeding, but then you will go 145mph catching someone (who is only going 90) and justify it somehow.

If they were going the other direction, or were at a dead stop, those kinds of speeds are necesary to catch up to a speeder.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>So, what is more dangerous, competing in that event or momentarily
>driving very fast on a similar stretch of road after riding up and down it
>several times . . .

Driving very fast on an uncontrolled public road with no means of keeping the road clear is more dangerous.

So the difference is pedestrians and road conditions? A person who knows a small strip of land well, can easily assure that both of those factors are eliminated. At that race, they have flag guys every 10 MILES! These guys are going flat out for a long ways, and if the road conditions suddenly change, it will take a little while to know about it.
So, what is more dangerous, competing in that event or momentarily driving very fast on a similar stretch of road after riding up and down it several times, assuring to what is almost definitely a higher degree, that risks have been reduced to an acceptable level?

I am sorry there is just so much that is wrong with what you are saying here.

- Race tracks are controlled environments, public roads are not. I have hit birds and gophers at my local race track, but I have yet to see anything bigger on the track. There is an absolutely fantastic twisty road here in the Banff mountains close to where I live in Alberta and it is so tempting to rip'er up on the twisties. But I don't because I fear Bambi will be standing on the road just around the next corner and while I have RL track experience, do I have the skills to avoid Bambi? Could the best drivers in the world avoid Bambi?

- Most people (not all) who travel extreme speeds on race tracks have slowly built up their skills over the years. Just like in swooping, the responsible drivers have tons of seat time and tons of experience driving lesser powerful cars before they graduate to the monster HP beasts we can buy ... if we are rich enough. Of course someone can still have more money than brains, buy themselves a super car show up at their local track and try to push their limits. But most (not all) DE track day people I encounter at my local race track are responsible people and nobody wants to wreck their expensive toys. The same can not be said for people (usually with limited seat time driving those extreme speeds) who take their expensive toys out on the public roads to see how fast they can go.

The straight at my local track is not long enough for me to hit terminal velocity in my car, plus I live at about 3000 feet MSL ... so my normally aspirated car (a '97 Porsche 911) will not go 180 mph. But I routinely drive about 130 mph on my local track before I brake hard to make turn #1 (the Turbos and supercharged Vettes are hitting 150 mph at our track). So yes with proper seat time and a controlled environment it is possible to go 180 mph and not die. But if people want to drive at these extreme speeds ... take it to the race track. You don't need to be a formal race car driver to drive on the track. But you do need to keep your ego in check and know your limits (often our personal limits are still less than the limits of the cars we drive). I love when a person who drives a less powerful car passes the more powerful car on the track. In order to push the limits of a super car, you really do need to possess superior driving skills and the only way to obtain these superior driving skills is seat time, seat time at a race track. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

but then you will go 145mph catching someone (who is only going 90) and justify it somehow.

Nothing I drive goes that fast, even the ST1300, although my radio does. Thanks for playing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

but then you will go 145mph catching someone (who is only going 90) and justify it somehow.

Nothing I drive goes that fast, even the ST1300, although my radio does. Thanks for playing.

Yup, can't outrun a radio. Bwahahahaha
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

At 180 mph a vehicle covers 264 feet every second. The average person takes .2-.3 seconds to start to respond to an expected event, even more to an unexpected event. Add a few more tenths for the dirver to actually make a control input, then a couple more for the vehicle to respond, then a few more for the response to have the desired affect....
You can see where this is going. At 180 mph a vehicle covers a hell of a lot of ground before any corrective action takes affect.
Anybody caught driving at those speeds on a public road should be charged with a felony. The ONLY exception would be where it is legal.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

So, take a look at this video and let me know what you think. Fast forward to 4:00. Also note driving segment at 6:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDV9v_yMQA4

So, being legal, everyone is PERFECTLY fine with driving this speed, I am sure. Just because it is legal, doesn't make it safe, and just because it is illegal, doesn't make it unsafe.

For the record, I rarely speed, and don't advocate speeding to anyone, ever. I merely believe that it is possible to do so safely, in certain rare situations.

I speed all the time. But my speeding on the public roads is not excessive. It is usually only a few clicks over the limits as I travel with traffic and I occasionally use short bursts of speed to pass and to ensure I am not in someone's blind spot. Most speed limits on our public roads are out of date. Most of our cars can easily handle faster speeds. Unfortunately just because the cars can handle the extra speed does not mean the drivers can.

I don't speak Japanese, so who knows what that fellow is saying in the GT-R video you posted. But what he did was wrong. Sure the car can handle it, sure 99% of time you can get away with it. Extreme speed on a controlled race track still has it's risks, but the people on the track are aware of these risks. There are too many unknowns for extreme speed on the public roads to be worth the risk. If you want to driver very very fast. Come join us on the race tracks. But watch out for oil on the track. It is slicker than owl's shit. :o

I think there is nothing worse in a civilized society than to allow confiscation of personal assets to benefit the local police or judiciary. I get sick when I see a fancy car confiscated and plastered with D.A.R.E. stickers so the police can have something fun to drive...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Yes. This is a dangerous trend. Once people accept the premise that the police can take your stuff because you broke a law, where does it end? Will the people who support this totalitarian crap be willing to have their cars taken away because they (or someone else) committed a traffic violation or struck a cute little child who ran into the road?

Why do they confiscate the Corvette, but not the 1980 Winnebago in the back yard with the flat tires and the tree growing through the engine compartment?

Cheers,
Jon S.

I love arguing with a police officer over the internet, about SPEEDING of all things..
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'll cut cops some slack anytime they suspend the enforcement of liberalism and harrassment of citizens so as to pursue real criminals. It's not unreasonable to expect them to respond to the type of speeding violations being discussed here.

As far as hypocrisy goes, what about the guys from other jurisdictions who are just passing through on the interestate? They're not responding to any emergency calls, so why are they doing 85+ in a 65 zone? If 20+mph over the limit is a threat to public safety when I do it, how is it any less of a threat when a cop does it?

I used to get behind these guys and keep up with them, but around 80mph I'd had enough and just watched them pull away into the distance.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Less HP=learn faster, something that is hard to convince people of.

This is very true ... we all want the high HP beasts (trust me if I could afford it I would love the 911 GT3RS). But our best learning is done on the less powerful cars/bikes. I can push my car at the track to my limits (close to the limits of the car) and know it won't bite back at me too hard if I make a mistake (which we all do from time to time). Put me in a 500+ HP super car and tell me to push my limits and my laps times won't necessarily be that much faster and I will get spanked with an expensive wreck if I get sloppy.

HP is a crutch ;)

Something I always do with newish riders is take them to a particular road in my normal riding area, which is downhill all the way. The entire group shuts off their engines, and we coast all the way to the bottom. Can't beat it for learning to conserve your brakes and how much a good line can change your turn exit speed. Lots of guys don't want to do this though, the lure of a 1000cc machine and flashy paint job is the reason they got a bike in the first place.

the swede is a gipsy, and he says he could have gone faster, he wanted to hit 360km/h (225mph)... :|
I'm pretty sure he will have almost nothing for a fine, and they will give him the car back because he needs it to tow his trailer :S

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

the swede is a gipsy, and he says he could have gone faster, he wanted to hit 360km/h (225mph)... :|
I'm pretty sure he will have almost nothing for a fine, and they will give him the car back because he needs it to tow his trailer :S

This is fucking NUTS!!!!! >:(

Throw his ass in jail for a year or two....:S
BTW... Have the Swiss news released his name???
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

naaah, we usually don't release names...

his only regret is not to have driven faster [:/]

and them gypsies are super protected as a poor minority who live in caravans. Pretty sure most of them are harmless and good people, and there is a fringe of them giving the whole community a bad name (stealing, robbing etc...). Even the people of the camps where he was arrested didn't like THAT kind of publicity.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

>So, what is more dangerous, competing in that event or momentarily
>driving very fast on a similar stretch of road after riding up and down it
>several times . . .

Driving very fast on an uncontrolled public road with no means of keeping the road clear is more dangerous.

Demonstrated here.

http://brk.to/flw

That pisses me off. The driver of the van could have (and may have been) seriously hurt because that guy "had the urge."

On a lighter note, I would guess that it's frustrating to be a cop on major roads. Everyone you drive behind slows down to the speed limit. ;)
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.