bertusgeert

Should I pay this outrageous speeding fine?

I would paid the $23, but not the other fees. I'm guessing it either didn't say or wasn't obvious on the citation? [:/]

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Frankly I think your biggest mistake was paying the tickets and not fighting them. Unless you're a complete asshole you can almost always get fines reduced and not get points on your license if you fight it in court. I've had tickets thrown out simply because I was pleasant to the cop.

Although I understand you may have to take a day off of work, the way it looks to me, it would be cheaper to miss the day of work.

Take it for what you will though
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Frankly I think your biggest mistake was paying the tickets and not fighting them. Unless you're a complete asshole you can almost always get fines reduced and not get points on your license if you fight it in court. I've had tickets thrown out simply because I was pleasant to the cop.

Although I understand you may have to take a day off of work, the way it looks to me, it would be cheaper to miss the day of work.

Agreed. I got at least a dozen parking tickets, two being on the phone tickets and a speeding ticket in upstate NY. Fought every single one of them. Never payed more then a third for any of them and no points either.

The system is retarded but if you don't play the game you end up being the one getting fucked.

Get a lawyer and fight every single one of them.

This reminded me of a funny story I heard a few years ago. This guy gets a ticket at an intersection with a camera. They send him the ticket in the mail along with a picture of him running the light. He sends back a picture of the money. They sent him a picture of handcuffs.
The ticket was paid
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I know this is going to make me sound like a boring accountant, but... Have you considered just not speeding??!

Problem solved! :P

Birds gotta fly, fish has got to swim, don't ask him to change who he is.

Then all he has to do is man up and pay his dues ... Don't do the crime if'n you caint do the time ... :P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The ticket was issued in the state of Nevada and I live in Florida. I would have gone to court if it was local but it wasn't. By the time I received the postcard i had 3 days to pay it.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I agree with Nightingale that you should consult a NY lawyer who practices traffic law. That lawyer can tell you whether by paying the initial fine you've been deemed to have pled guilty, and if so, whether that is appealable and/or withdrawable on the grounds that you misunderstood the total fine and/or that the ticket was vague in expressing the fine.

But know this: most states are part of an interstate compact in which they enforce each other's traffic tickets and license suspensions. The internet makes that kind of interstate cooperation a snap these days. So even if you get stopped in another state, or try to apply for a license in another state, you'll probably still, eventually, get nailed. I know of people who got and ignored a ticket in another state, and then a couple of months later, they get a license suspension warning from their own state. You can run, but you can't hide. So whatever you do, don't simply do nothing; do something (either lawyer or pay up), and do it soon.

One more thing: not all of the advice up-thread is correct. I urge you not to take legal advice from anyone who is not a lawyer.

Its fucking retarded, I was broke, so I couldnt afford insurance and the fine, so, I had to run the risk of not having insurance just to pay the fine, for not having insurance.:S

Then ride the f###### bus, ride a bike, or get a car so cheap you can afford the legally required insurance!

Insurance is not to protect you, but to protect the person you hit when you have an accident, something clearly no one wants, but happens anyway, thus insurance laws were put in place.

After being hit three times by uninsured motorists in my life, and having to pay out of pocket for deductibles and having to negotiate cash deals I had to collect on - I have no respect for uninsured motorists. A large chunk of my monthly insurance premium is marked under "uninsured motorists". Further, insurance companies charge drivers for claims, so when an uninsured driver hits you, it goes against your loss runs as if you are at fault.

So us insured people have to pay for your insurance too.

It is selfish, childish, and unethical to drive without insurance and expect other people to pay for your mistakes. I think the fines you had to pay for the next three years are appropriate and I support laws that revoke a driver's licence on first offense of driving without insurance. I think here they actually take your licence in the traffic stop and make you bring your card in to get your licence back.

Rant over.

Its fucking retarded, I was broke, so I couldnt afford insurance and the fine, so, I had to run the risk of not having insurance just to pay the fine, for not having insurance.:S

Then ride the f###### bus, ride a bike, or get a car so cheap you can afford the legally required insurance!

Insurance is not to protect you, but to protect the person you hit when you have an accident, something clearly no one wants, but happens anyway, thus insurance laws were put in place.

After being hit three times by uninsured motorists in my life, and having to pay out of pocket for deductibles and having to negotiate cash deals I had to collect on - I have no respect for uninsured motorists. A large chunk of my monthly insurance premium is marked under "uninsured motorists". Further, insurance companies charge drivers for claims, so when an uninsured driver hits you, it goes against your loss runs as if you are at fault.

So us insured people have to pay for your insurance too.

It is selfish, childish, and unethical to drive without insurance and expect other people to pay for your mistakes. I think the fines you had to pay for the next three years are appropriate and I support laws that revoke a driver's licence on first offense of driving without insurance. I think here they actually take your licence in the traffic stop and make you bring your card in to get your licence back.

Rant over.

Did you miss the part where it was over six years ago?
Even the statuate of limitations would have run out by now.

By the way . . . when was the last time your holier than thou self was down and out and in financial distress where it was either pay rent or insurance? When was the last time you had to actually MAKE a decision like that?

I find it better to ask questions and become informed before dealing out judgments about people.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Pay your fines and quit being a pussy!

Speeder fined more than $1M

Swiss calculate income and speed

By Allan Hall, Daily TelegraphAugust 12, 2010

A Swedish motorist is facing the world's biggest speeding fine, $1,060,000 Cdn, after being caught driving 290 km/h on a Swiss motorway.

The 37-year-old man was driving at 2½ times the speed limit in his $230,000 Mercedes.

In Switzerland, speeding fines are worked out using a formula that takes into account the income of the motorist and the vehicle's speed.

According to prosecutors, the man faces the highest possible penalty of 300 days of fines at $3,533 a day.

"We have no record of anyone being caught travelling faster in the country," said a police spokesman.

The man was caught by a speed camera on the A12 highway between Bern and Lausanne on Friday. He escaped being caught by numerous radar traps simply because he was going too fast and they were incapable of clocking speeds beyond 200 km/h. A new generation of radar machines caught him travelling at close to 290 km/h.

"I think the speedo on the car, which is new, is faulty," he told police by way of an explanation.

Benoit Dumas, a police officer in the region where the car was stopped, said: "He needed over half a kilometre of road to come to a halt."

http://www.vancouversun.com/Speeder+fined+more+than/3388796/story.html

This happened to me too... apparently if you get a certain number of points on your license in NY state within a given period of time (1-3 years I forget) they will give you an additional fine. I plead guilty to a couple moving violations and got another fine in the mail for $500. Ever since then I plead not guilty and go to court. They reduce the fine and the points on your license. I would pay it and plead not guilty next time.

+ 1 ...

Unisured drivers are the lowest of the low>:([/reply

There are some departments that are now giving you a citation for no insurance (Fail to Maintain Financial Responsibility as its called here) and towing your car. That or they simply arrest you for it and tow your car as well.

Its a serious problem in the state and a large number of uninsured motorists have started driving off from accidents instead of being caught and becoming personally responsible for their actions.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm curious - when you make a traffic stop, and are handed a legit-looking insurance ID card,
do you "run" the info to check whether the card is valid and/or the policy is still in effect? I'm asking because I'm wondering whether people can slip thru the cracks with a forged insurance ID card.

I'm curious - when you make a traffic stop, and are handed a legit-looking insurance ID card,
do you "run" the info to check whether the card is valid and/or the policy is still in effect? I'm asking because I'm wondering whether people can slip thru the cracks with a forged insurance ID card.

There isn't a "run" through the system like people think there is. The TLETs request for the LP does return insurance information, but if a legit looking insurance card is present, then it supersedes the TLETs return.

The short version is yes they can. I've used my cell phone to call insurance agents when I thought something wasn't right. Those turned out to be fake cards or canceled policies.

Worst still are low budget insurance companies writing policies to insure a vehicle, but if a clear and valid driver's license isn't present, then the insurance doesn't matter. So a lot of illegal immigrants are going to these places to get covered, when they do not have any form of drivers license. These places are taking their money and they're still not covered and in violation!

>Its fucking retarded, I was broke, so I couldnt afford insurance and
>the fine, so, I had to run the risk of not having insurance just to pay the
>fine, for not having insurance.

Then you can't afford to drive. Fortunately bicycles are cheap.

There isn't a "run" through the system like people think there is. The TLETs request for the LP does return insurance information, but if a legit looking insurance card is present, then it supersedes the TLETs return.

The short version is yes they can. I've used my cell phone to call insurance agents when I thought something wasn't right. Those turned out to be fake cards or canceled policies.

I've wondered about that. Wisconsin just started requiring insurance for everyone, and some of it isn't really clear (at least to me).

My insurance policies give me the card with the renewal bill, so in theory I could have a card saying that I am covered, but then not pay the bill and have no insurance. Of course I'd be screwed if I got into an accident under those circumstances, but I think I could get away with it for just a simple traffic stop.

Not that I would. I have known too many people that got into accidents without coverage. It isn't pretty.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Tut, tut... Are you really blaming your ticket on a busted radar detector? Sounds to me like your problem is that you're driving faster than the legal limit!! :D

I know this is going to make me sound like a boring accountant, but... Have you considered just not speeding??!

Problem solved! :P

ETA - pay up. Save yourself the hassle of even more problems like going to jail.

I agree with Nataly. It's not like you didn't know you were speeding.

Fortunately Illinois, despite having a serious budget problem, has not yet decided to solve it with traffic ticket revenues.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Should the fine be so large that a person who is already in a financial crisis has to make the choice between daily survival or car insurance? What if the person lives to far to bike and there are no busses should the person take the risk of said ticket so he/she can support their family?

Insurance is not cheap and there are many instances that a person/s in a financial situation will have to make the choice, rent or insurance, medicine or insurance, food for the kids or insurance.

People who only see it in black and white have never been put in a situation where they have no food, no electricity, etc. I am not saying it is okay to drive with no insurance I am just saying in some cases I understand why it happens.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Should the fine be so large that a person who is already in a financial crisis has to make the choice between daily survival or car insurance? What if the person lives to far to bike and there are no busses should the person take the risk of said ticket so he/she can support their family?

Insurance is not cheap and there are many instances that a person/s in a financial situation will have to make the choice, rent or insurance, medicine or insurance, food for the kids or insurance.

People who only see it in black and white have never been put in a situation where they have no food, no electricity, etc. I am not saying it is okay to drive with no insurance I am just saying in some cases I understand why it happens.

Although I can see your point, one could also argue that driving is not a *right*. No insurance = no driving. It really *is* that simple.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Liability is cheap, cheaper than the gas put in the car. Cheaper than all the maintenance it takes to keep the car legal and roadworthy. Cheaper than the cost of taxes to keep the car registered each year.

Every day I see dozens and dozens of illegal immigrants riding their bicycle across town for to a job that pays nearly nothing. They work hard to get the job, they work hard to keep the job and they work hard to get to the job. How is it that those individuals understand and are working very hard to make it, but you believe that it is a right and automotive transportation is the only method?

Although I can see your point, one could also argue that driving is not a *right*. No insurance = no driving. It really *is* that simple.

It's not a right, but in some places in the US, not driving is not really an option either if they want to keep their job. [:/]

Then again I suppose if they just went on food stamps and welfare, they wouldn't have to drive.

Shitty choice either way. Hope I never have to make them. :(
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

By the way . . . when was the last time your holier than thou self was down and out and in financial distress where it was either pay rent or insurance? When was the last time you had to actually MAKE a decision like that?

If I could not pay for insurance, then I would find alternate transportation.

The holier than thou self has had to pay THOUSANDs for accidents caused by other people who did not have insurance. This is in premium for "uninsured motorists" and for three acidents caused by uninsured motorists, two of which my car was parked.

I find it better to ask questions and become informed before dealing out judgments about people.

Anyone who does not have insurance, for WHATEVER REASON, and drives - has NO EXCUSE in my book. I am sorry... Just because you are broke, you don't have the right to pass your financial liability on to others by driving... Park the car and walk. Take the bus. Ride a bike. Have your friend drive you.

>Should the fine be so large that a person who is already in a financial
>crisis has to make the choice between daily survival or car insurance?

Sure, why not? Your choice is them to obey the law or be able to afford rent.

>What if the person lives to far to bike and there are no busses should
>the person take the risk of said ticket so he/she can support their family?

No, he shouldn't! He should get a job closer to where he lives or live closer to where he works. (Or, better yet, obey the law in the first place.)

>People who only see it in black and white have never been put in a
>situation where they have no food, no electricity, etc.

Many people also see the car thing in black and white - either I have a car or I can't work. Yet people survived just fine back before 1950, when most people did not have cars.