marcandalysse

noise cancelling headphones?

>You can definitely pay less, but it's hard to find hardware that does a better job. (Goes for several of their products.)

I'm sorry but its not. They are way overpriced for what they give you. Try comparing them in a blind test to something of equal price and you will be amazed by the difference.
BOSE have had some great products in the past but now the are just living on their brand name, selling overpriced products to gullible consumers.

I'm hoping I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here but i have a very strong dislike for both BOSE as a company and their products.

>

They are actually best at blocking low frequency random noise (i.e. "white noise.") The physical earmuffs themselves are better at blocking high frequency noise. This is an issue on some aircraft like the MD-80; the noise profile goes from high frequency in the front (primarily wind noise) to low frequency in the back (primarily engine noise.) I'll often perceive less noise in the back with active headsets.

They will also happily block low frequency non-random noise (like speech) but our ears are exceptionally good at picking voice out of white noise. Since it lowers both levels equally we still have the same signal to noise ratio to work with, so we can still hear voice to some degree.

I'm sorry if I confused you by using the term "random noise". By using "" around it I meant noise that is not constant and changes over time. Like speech. Not true random noise. Active noise cancellation also don't work very well over 1kHz and speech usually lies above that.
But like you said. Its all about what type of noise you want to block out.

I also think Sony has some IEMs that have active noise cancellation. I don't know anything about them but they could be the perfect balance to block the whole frequency spectrum.

I have a pair of (cheaper) Brookstones (over the ear) that I bought at some airport or another. I use them in combination with with in-ear headphones for the mp3 player or the in-flight movie. The headphones cut the noise and I can use a lower volume on the in-ear phones.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>I'm sorry but its not. They are way overpriced for what they give you.

I didn't say that they were well-priced. But if you can afford Bose their stuff works pretty well.

>but i have a very strong dislike for both BOSE as a company and their products.

That's fine. Everyone has likes and dislikes.

Has anyone ever thought of getting a good set of buds or headphones and wearing them under your helmet so you can listen to your favorite tunes on the way down? Or would it just be to loud?

I'm always surprised when this question comes up. For me listening to music while skydiving would be a bit like, say, reading a book while skiing.

Bose is nice, but it's highly overrated in todays consumer market (You see quite a bit different stuff in showroom/performance audio), and I do sell it. (No highs, no lows, just Bose).

I've worked in Consumer Electronics for a very long time, and the best description I have heard about Bose is that they are a Legal Firm that makes electronics!

Their QC2 HP's are very good, but for the price I would shop around.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

My noise cancelling headphones are somewhere in my inner ear nerves.

:P

Nice! I wish i could cancel out at work... La la la not listening la la la
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---