airricks

eBay Question - What's the right thing to do?

I sold a 4ish year old Tivo on ebay a few weeks ago. It's worked fine for me the entire time, worked fine the day it was boxed up (had to use it to wipe off all of my settings, etc) and shipped out.

The auction clearly stated that the Tivo was working, but was several years old and was being sold as-is with no returns.

A few days ago the buyer contacted me to let me know the remote wouldn't work. Turns out it seems like the remote works (he even tried a different remote) but the Tivo isn't for some reason receiving the signal from the remote.

Anyway he is requesting a full refund, including shipping charges or he is going to leave negative feedback. I offered to refund the purchase price and he covered the original shipping, but he refused that. He also said if I want the item back I have to cover return shipping as well.

I can see both sides, I'd be pissed if I bought something on ebay and it didn't work, but it was working when I shipped it and I sold it as-is. I'd like to think I'd have been happy with a refund of the purchase price and I covered shipping, had I been the buyer.

What's the right thing to do?

Tread carefully... I'm not all that familiar with Ebay, but work out an agreement that he gets his money back after you've got the Tivo back.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If it wasn't much money, in the interest of preserving my eBay rating, I would refund the money and tell him to keep it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The auction clearly stated that the Tivo was working, but was several years old and was being sold as-is with no returns.

What is so hard to understand about this?

You pay your money, you take your chances. I'm not sure he can make negative feedback stick if his beef is that it doesn't work. If you shipped the item pictured in the auction, packed securely, in a timely fashion the guy is out of luck.

I would leave the situation as it sits. You have already offered the guy more then he should have expected based on the terms of auction. He refused, and that's that. Stand by the terms of the auction.

For all you know he's full of shit & is trying to fuck you over. What is the time between him receiving the unit & contacting that it's broken?

If you stated clearly in the listing that it's sold as is than all your bases are covered & you're under no obligation to do anything - and I wouldn't do anything if I were you. Contact eBay & explain the situation; if you're left with negative feedback in this case, eBay will more than likely remove it (don't quote me on this though).
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Good point. I'd have to look but it was at least several days between the item being received and he contacting me. He says he was contacting tivo support, finding another remote to try, etc during that time.

I'll probably leave it as is, but that's a good idea to contact ebay if I do receive negative feedback.

Is this guy bitching because a $10 remote doesn't work? Tell him to go buy new batteries for the remote or to just go get a new remote. Send him back $10. If the TIVO is still working, then it's not a big deal. The auction was for the TIVO and not the TIVO remote.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

You listed a used item as is with no returns! (Not sure what you stipulated your refund policy was, or if you did.) Anyway, that's the chance one takes when they buy used items off eBay, especially electronic items.

It now doesn't work; did it get messed up in transit, did the buyer screw it up somehow, is he being dishonest about something? You made him a damn decent offer and he refused it! I've ALWAYS seen it listed to return an item would be at the buyers expense, this is NOT new - I'm not sure I would continue to worry about it anymore.

It sucks it happened... Good Luck!
"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Ebay's policy is that if the item is not as described in the auction, then it is the seller's responsibility to refund the full price of the item plus the original shipping (not responsible for return shipping).

You might be stuck here if you clearly stated that it was working. (I avoid buying or selling electronics on ebay for this reason - it comes down to buyer's vs. seller's word as to when the item quit working.) There is probably info on ebay or someone you could contact to find out what you're supposed to do in this case.

You might be stuck here if you clearly stated that it was working.

Yes, but he also stated sold as is I would say than that buyer is stuck, not the seller.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Not all directed to you Wendy...

He's got 24 feedback, all as buyer, all positive. He's left negative feedback twice as the buyer too.

It sounds like the IR receiver on the Tivo itself is bad, he tried another remote, the remote light comes on but the Tivo light doesn't when the remote is used.

The item stated that the Tivo works fine, but is several years old and is being sold as-is. Where does that "works fine" obligation stop? It did work fine the day I put it in the box to ship out. Does it have to work fine when he receives it? For how long?

The more i think about it, I'm just going to tell him I've already offered more than the auction stated, and that if he's unhappy to leave negative feedback. If he does I'll contact ebay and see if they'll remove it.

It's shit like this that makes me not want to sell on ebay at all. If it's a small dollar item, it's not worth the time/effort, and if it's a large dollar item and this type of things comes up it's an even bigger pain in the ass.

Have you tried using ebay's Resolution Center?

I have used it as a buyer before, but I think sellers can open a case too. I found it very helpful when I and the seller disagreed on what the resolution should be, but in my case the seller was pretty obviously at fault. Your case is not so clear, but maybe they can help.

Plus, I think part of the resolution is that you cancel the transaction before giving any refund. And I'm pretty sure the buyer cannot leave feedback once this happens. (I was not able to leave feedback in my case, though I sure would have liked to.)

What's the right thing to do?

Take the negative feedback. Ebay gives you right to post a public counter-argument, and you can explain yourself there, to anyone who is concerned about that negative feedback. And send him a new pair of batteries just for fun - that's the most common cause for a broken remote.

It sounds like the IR receiver on the Tivo itself is bad, he tried another remote, the remote light comes on but the Tivo light doesn't when the remote is used.

Have him try it in another room. Sometimes you can get a remote jamming signal from a remote thats stuck in a couch and transmitting, it will confuse the IR sensor in the device, so when you do go to try to use it, it is too confused to do anything.

If it were me, and I stated as is, no refunds, well... thats what ya get.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You might be stuck here if you clearly stated that it was working.

Yes, but he also stated sold as is I would say than that buyer is stuck, not the seller.

I would tend to agree with you. Something sold in 'as is' condition, it's the buyer's problem. I would do as suggested and go through e-bay and resolve it that way. I wouldn't contact the buyer any longer.

Chuck

I'm with the general group on this one. If the terms were laid out, then the buyer may have to swallow it. That's part of the risk of a public auction over the internet. Sure, it may not be his fault. Or he could be trying to scam you. Or he could be an idiot. Never can know from this distance, which is why there are terms and policies.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Sure, when you are running a retail or commercial business, yes +1 but,,,e-bay is a way for people to sell goofy shit one to one,,,,its used shit,,,,Dave in the above post hit it right on,,,,,does this onionhead get HBO for 90 days for punitive damages,,,,its an electronic garage sale for christ sake...[:/]

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Just chatted online with ebay about it... They said that if the auction stated no returns then it is OK to uphold that policy. If he files a case I can respond to it, and appeal to remove negative feedback.

Sounds like that's the way I'm going to go.

Thanks for all the replies!

Ha, thats exactly what I was talking about, but from experience, not finding it.

Weird how they say the same thing I do.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Sure, when you are running a retail or commercial business, yes +1 but,,,e-bay is a way for people to sell goofy shit one to one,,,,its used shit,,,,Dave in the above post hit it right on,,,,,does this onionhead get HBO for 90 days for punitive damages,,,,its an electronic garage sale for christ sake...[:/]

Business is business, yard sale, retail, ebay.