TiaDanger

Know any helicopter pilots?

Hey all,

Do you know any heli pilots? Also, do you know any heli pilots who are also skydivers?

I'm looking for helicopter pilots who wouldn't mind chatting with me on a few things about whirly birds. If you are one or know somebody who I could get in touch with via email or whatever and that person wouldn't mind talking to me, I would appreciate it greatly!

P.S. I promise I'm not a stalker:P
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Well... I don't know this guy but I know OF him...

However he might not be available for a couple of year pending the outcome of the trial :P

http://www.thelocal.se/28336/20100812/

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Sweet, I just PMed him! Thanks for the name reference!

I live in NV and have been looking at two helicopter flight schools in California. If I can finish my masters this semester, I want to start flight school in January or somewhere around there.

I have done research on these schools, but am looking for personal experiences from other people on where they went. When I finish my lab work, I'll have more time to go visit schools and learn about their instruction, fleet, job placement etc.

I'd also like to know how it was for people freshly off of their commercial to become a flight instructor to time build for hours. Did your school help you find an instructor job? How long did it take to build the hours to start applying for jobs? Where do you work now, and what type of flying do you do?

Anyway, there's my bible. If you have answers to any of these questions, fire away!

Thanks in advance:)

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Well... I don't know this guy but I know OF him...

However he might not be available for a couple of year pending the outcome of the tria

Don't do drugs and fly helicopters at the same time, mmmmkay?

Crazy emmeffer:S:P

D.S. #8.8

Hey all,

Do you know any heli pilots? Also, do you know any heli pilots who are also skydivers?

I'm looking for helicopter pilots who wouldn't mind chatting with me on a few things about whirly birds. If you are one or know somebody who I could get in touch with via email or whatever and that person wouldn't mind talking to me, I would appreciate it greatly!

P.S. I promise I'm not a stalker:P

DBCOOPER on here is a jumper and helicopter pilot.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=DBCOOPER;

ETA: Uncle Sam taught him so it probably won’t apply.

I'm not a helicopter pilot, but there is a flight school at the same airport as my DZ and I know someone that went through what you're talking about... and learned to skydive in there somewhere too.

That school will hire all of their CFII graduates as far as I know. They get paid peanuts and get no benefits (other than flying every day!). 1000 hours is the magic number where they'll go off and get real jobs. My friend flew tours of the grand canyon for a couple years after leaving the flight school. Next job was corporate/charter in a very fancy helicopter (which I just so happened to do a tiny little bit of engineering work on to get it certified). I was surprised how fast she got there... but only after building those first 1000 hours as an instructor.

When she had a fairly minor skydiving injury (broken finger that required surgery), she couldn't fly at all because of the cast on her hand. No insurance and no income. Not an easy way to live!

And before forking over 5 figures to a flight school, make sure to read up on Silver State Helicopters... and what happened to their students when they suddenly announced bankruptcy.

Dave

Great info, pilotdave, thanks a lot:)
Are you in Connecticut?

I'm looking to spend about $70,000 up front cost (on loan of course) to go through the commercial rating. Bigger schools have packages to take you through ratings through your commercial, and I'd like to go that route so I can be full time and devout all concentration until I finish.

And you are right about their reputation of closing right after taking someone's money. I know I'll learn more when I can go meet with some schools, but thats what I was curious about, how CFI-Is get placed. Wasn't sure if they were hired on right there where they went to school, or if they had to teach at a different school. And 1000 hours is what I heard too. Many heli websites say you can get your hours in in a little less than a year, but I know the time frame is dependent on many factors, just wondering what other people who have gone through it experienced.

I was looking at Specialized Helicopters in Watsonville, CA and Los Angeles Helicopters in Long Beach. Any other recommendations for schools with a good reputation, good CFI job placement and a good healthy fleet of helis would be welcome!

Edited to add that I know costs can rise from there...I'm a professional student (why was grad school a good idea again?) who knows how costs can rise:P

D.S. #8.8

I have a commercial helicopter rating. I fly with the guys at Los Angeles Helicopters in Long Beach. They are a top notch outfit with excellent instruction.
The owners are all good friends of mine and have been in the business for a long time. Their machines are well maintained and they are a Robinson dealer also. They won't BS you.
Call me if you need some info.

Hi Tia,

Dittodog on here is a pilot in teh Army. My fiance is currently going through army flight school with a guy who went through civilian flight school and got his instrument and instructor ratings in the civilian world. I know plenty of people who would love to talk to you should you be interested in joining the military. Best of luck! :)

Hi Tia,

Dittodog on here is a pilot in teh Army. My fiance is currently going through army flight school with a guy who went through civilian flight school and got his instrument and instructor ratings in the civilian world. I know plenty of people who would love to talk to you should you be interested in joining the military. Best of luck! :)

Yeah yeah yeah... we know, you have cool friends and are engaged... shaddup already! :P:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi Tia,

Yeah yeah yeah... we know, you have cool friends and are engaged... shaddup already! :P:D

Youre just jealous. And come on, its only day two! Im allowed to still brag! Sheesh. Who died and made you the bragging police?? :P

Hi Tia,

Youre just jealous. And come on, its only day two! Im allowed to still brag! Sheesh. Who died and made you the bragging police?? :P

I already told you, hes not my type :o:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

i forgot to say in my pm dont pay up front for the whole course. When I went I would give them a check for 5k at a time and when my account got low I would write the another. I been to the school in watsonville. Seemed ok but but the cost of living there is crazy. Also watch out for the weather there you could spend months at a time not flying because of fog.

Hi!

I'm a canadian helicopter pilot.

I can't help you much with school recommendations, but if you have any questions about the job (I'm doing mostly aerial work, and precision long line work, don't know much about corporate and other types of work) just ask, I'll be happy to help if I can.

Helicopter pilot is not a job for everyone, but it can be the best job in the world!

Good luck!