el_chester

canopy packing volume over time

Some people say canopies get bigger and bigger over time. i can't understand the logic behind that.

I doubt the packing volume will significantly change over time. The only thing is that a new canopy will hold air better and thus it might be a bit bigger in pack volume if not all the air is squeezed out. Also more dfficult to pack.

I may be wrong, and if so, please correct me.

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

"I doubt the packing volume will significantly change over time"

And right you are! The amount of fabric you stuff in the sack doesn't change. The ease with which you get it in the bag does. As the canopy is used, some of the "SoarCoat" is scuffed up, and makes the fabric less slippery, and the seams stretch allowing you to squish more air out. It may seem that the canopy is getting smaller, not bigger.

I guess I've never heard anyone say they get bigger. But, I can imagine that as canopies get wrinkles set into them, particularly reserves, they may not compress as easy.

But, be aware that any two individual canopies of the same model with identical specifications may vary up ten percent in pack volumn. Intangilbls like seam variations, variations in materials, etc. contribute.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Some people say canopies get bigger and bigger over time. i can't understand the logic behind that.

I doubt the packing volume will significantly change over time. The only thing is that a new canopy will hold air better and thus it might be a bit bigger in pack volume if not all the air is squeezed out. Also more dfficult to pack.

I may be wrong, and if so, please correct me.

As a canopy get used it starts to collect dirt in both the material and the lines. This contributes to a greater pack volume. Its not much, but some.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals