soulshine

Rosetta Stone?

Ok, I've heard great things about this language program. I googled it and it's pretty expensive! I'm being a cheapo and wondering if anyone here knows how I can download it free? I need the Dutch version.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

pimsleur method is better. i've used both.

two separate parts of the brain are used to learn speach and reading. so using pimsleur, which has no reading involved, and is 100 percent conversational (no rote memorization), means that you will learn to speak and comprehend the given language at a more accelerated rate.

with pimsleur, you can become totally comfortable speaking with a native speaker on a basic level very quickly, and then learn to read later.

really though, i guess it depends on your needs. if you absolutely must be able to read the language, right now, i suppose rosetta would be better. both are available for cheap as cd's on ebay. especially dutch (popular languages like spanish go for almost retail on ebay). the mp3's look cool too, but haven't used them or checked their availablilty on ebay.

Have you learned another language through that method? Why do you say it's better?

I really need to learn some basic dutch quickly and I'm open to any way that will help me do it!

~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

Ok, I've heard great things about this language program. I googled it and it's pretty expensive! I'm being a cheapo and wondering if anyone here knows how I can download it free? I need the Dutch version.

:o

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Yeah... that's right... I said it! B|

~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

you're right deibido, there is the option that doesn't include reading with rosetta, but i doubt most students use that option exclusively for long, which would be a detriment to their speed of learning basic conversation skills.

rosetta's more bang for your buck. and more suited to people who want to do more than just converse (i.e. business, etc.). but if conversation is the biggest concern, pimsleur is cheaper and will be a quicker and an easier, more natural feeling method.

and you can probably get the first eight lessons on cd for about 2 bucks on ebay. that's enough to get talking with a flawless accent to dutch people, on a basic level. and from there you can wing it for free, if your in holland.

i hear the cool thing about dutch is when you learn it, you make it 60% easier for yourself to learn german later.

Ok, its been a LONG time since I've used Pimsleur and maybe their program is better now, but I disagree with you. I am using Rosetta Stone now for Spanish and I don't think any other at home self paced program compares to it. In addition to speaking, pronounciation and listening, Rosetta Stone incorporates reading, writing, spelling and grammar and it does so in a totally natural way.

I've tried a few different methods and knew some basic Spanish before I started, but with Rosetta Stone, things just "click" and make sense where in the past I've gotten stuck, frustrated and ready to give up.

I'm not using the program as much as when I first got it, but I am really surprised at how much better my Spanish has gotten- even when I am not studying regularly. Just stuff like understanding when people are speaking Spanish around me, and being able to order at the corner taco joint without any real effort. Its just a lot easier and more natural- I don't have to do the mental translation before I start talking.

Yeah... that's right... I said it! B|

:o indeed. No wonder you're wearing a disguise! That would be as bad as someone downloading the entire 17-DVD P90X workout program for "free." .....even if they had it on their hard drive 3 months and never bothered to use it.
(Note to self: SERIOUSLY! Stop making excuses not to work out.)

I was wondering about Rosetta Stone myself. Being back in Miami is making the guilt of being a half-fluent half-Rican nigh unbearable.
Please continue with the feedback.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

with pimsleur, you can become totally comfortable speaking with a native speaker on a basic level very quickly, and then learn to read later.

I disagree with this approach too- at least for me, going back and trying to finesse my grammar, reading and writing skills meant pretty much starting at the beginning again. If that's your goal from the start, in the long run you will save time doing it together without having to unlearn any bad habits.

And if travel basics are all you really want or need right now, there are cheaper methods out there. Tapes or CDs you can listen to in your car on you way to and from work, etc. No one can laugh at you alone in your car repeating after the tape, right? These days, people will just asume you're on the phone with a blue tooth in your ear!:D

tigra, you and me should agree to agree. i'll start: you're absolutely right. for a totally comprehensive learning program, its best to just use rosetta. rosetta covers all the bases (and has an excellent marketing campaign).

but as for the "travel basics", "learning in your car", "cheaper methods" that you mentioned, the best of the best of these is the pimsleur method. if you want to just talk to people in the given language as soon as possible its the one.

but again, after further consideration, i agree: rosetta is where its at for the whole package, no question. as long as you don't mind dropping a pretty penny.

Have you learned another language through that method? Why do you say it's better?

I really need to learn some basic dutch quickly and I'm open to any way that will help me do it!

Anything? MMMMMWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAA
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

Well, as you said, it really depends on what you need. I did go ahead and spend the money on RS because learning and improving my Spanish is important to me personally (would not hurt me professionally either), other self study methods only took me so far, and I couldn't work classes at a decent language school into my schedule or my budget.

As far as the tapes, etc. - I found when I was mainly using them- say in the few weeks before I left for vacation- my pronounciation and vocabulary improved enough that I could do things like ask for directions and sound like someone who was fairly competent in Spanish. The thing is, I couldn't understand the responses more often than not! I guess I fooled the locals enough that they didn't think they needed to speak to me very slowly!laugh]

I think the coolest thing about RS is that it breaks you of the habit/ need to mentally translate before you speak or as you are listening or even reading. The process is really natural. Pimsleur did not do that for me. Of course, when I tried it, all I had were the tapes, and it was a pretty dated set at that. Maybe they've improved since then.

Oh come on !!! How hard could it be to learn Dutch! I've seen children speaking it !

:P:P:P:P
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Ok, its been a LONG time since I've used Pimsleur and maybe their program is better now, but I disagree with you. I am using Rosetta Stone now for Spanish and I don't think any other at home self paced program compares to it. In addition to speaking, pronounciation and listening, Rosetta Stone incorporates reading, writing, spelling and grammar and it does so in a totally natural way.

I've tried a few different methods and knew some basic Spanish before I started, but with Rosetta Stone, things just "click" and make sense where in the past I've gotten stuck, frustrated and ready to give up.

I'm not using the program as much as when I first got it, but I am really surprised at how much better my Spanish has gotten- even when I am not studying regularly. Just stuff like understanding when people are speaking Spanish around me, and being able to order at the corner taco joint without any real effort. Its just a lot easier and more natural- I don't have to do the mental translation before I start talking.

Pulling up an old post because I used the "search" function!B| Been over a year + since you made this post. Still feel that Rosetta is the way to go? I'm thinking of PURCHASING it.......:ph34r: