AggieDave

Speeding can be done safely on a public road

"Hit the Turbo Boost Kitt!"

"Michael, were too close to the bridge for Turbo Boost."

"Fuck you Kitt, with my stunning good looks and tight jeans nothing can hurt us. I'm taking over and manually activating the Turbo Boost!"

That's one of the funniest things I've read on DZ in a very long time.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What's your opinion (Dave as LEO & Bill as engineer) of the high average speeds typically driven on the Autobahn? Is there any attenuation of risk from the fact that the higher speed prevails for most of the drivers on the Autobahn, ... and/or the configuration of that particular motorway?

What's your opinion (Dave as LEO & Bill as engineer) of the high average speeds typically driven on the Autobahn? Is there any attenuation of risk from the fact that the higher speed prevails for most of the drivers on that motorway?

Part of the safety difference is the cultural attitude towards driving as well as the level of training for drivers in Germany vs. the average in the US. Never mind the age difference in learning how to drive as well as the cost to obtain a license in Germany. Now, add TUV vehicle standards verses the average state's standard (some states don't even have yearly vehicle inspections).

The differences are great, but the short version is that basically Germans take driving (or historically has) much more seriously.

What's your opinion (Dave as LEO & Bill as engineer) of the high average speeds typically driven on the Autobahn? Is there any attenuation of risk from the fact that the higher speed prevails for most of the drivers on that motorway?

Part of the safety difference is the cultural attitude towards driving as well as the level of training for drivers in Germany vs. the average in the US. Never mind the age difference in learning how to drive as well as the cost to obtain a license in Germany. Now, add TUV vehicle standards verses the average state's standard (some states don't even have yearly vehicle inspections).

The differences are great, but the short version is that basically Germans take driving (or historically has) much more seriously.

Plus they observe and pay attention to the passing lane...they get the fuck out of the way of speeding cars, not play the American game of trying to block them!

the short version is that basically Germans take driving (or historically has) much more seriously

It true. They have tiered licensing systems where you start off with considerable restrictions as to what, where, and when you can drive. There is continuing education linked to obtaining any of the advanced licenses.

Beyond that, you can be pulled over and ticketed for driving in the passing lane without passing (and they regularly enforce this). You can be ticketed if you are found exceeding the speed rating of your tires.

If everyone was well-trained, took it seriously, and was operating equipment within it design intentions, you could have an autobahn anywhere.

In the land of the free, and the home of the brave (and stupid), it would never work.

Me, I was distracted by all the pretty-colored headlights on the other side of the freeway. Good thing it's not like that IRL or I'd never focus on driving :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Still, if drivers have stayed the same and cars have improved, safety at any given speed has increased.

At this point I retract what I previously said and agree with Joe. Drivers are highly distracted in their vehicles, all the information at our fingertips, constant connection and large music libraries to go...I'd say more, but I'm typing this out on my Droid while riding my motorcycle and rock'n my iPod...

:D

Sure... YOU do it in Texas and you get away with it... I would probably get several tickets...:S:P

Didn't they pass a hands free required law a couple years back? Or was that just Houston?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Awh, come on, do we really think time behind bars is going to have an effect on such an asshat?

Lets get imaginative here.

How about every time for the next year the county coroner gets called out to the scene of a traffic accident where a fatality was involved, asshat from this video has to go along and help scrape up the blood and guts and bag the bodies. [:/]

Awh, come on, do we really think time behind bars is going to have an effect on such an asshat?

Lets get imaginative here.

How about every time for the next year the county coroner gets called out to the scene of a traffic accident where a fatality was involved, asshat from this video has to go along and help scrape up the blood and guts and bag the bodies. [:/]

Not disagreeing with you, but cruel and unusual punishment would prevent that.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

:|

Okay, unusual, I'll give you, but what's cruel about it? I didn't say we wouldn't give him rubber gloves?

Eh, he would probably claim that its emotionally scaring or some hippy bullshit...

Okay, unusual, I'll give you, but what's cruel about it? I didn't say we wouldn't give him rubber gloves?

Eh, he would probably claim that its emotionally scaring or some hippy bullshit...

Mentally traumatizing too. He'd make up some crap about PTSD or something.:P

How about making him do the notifications? Having to go knock on someone's door at three in the morning to tell them that a loved one will never be coming home again.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Mentally traumatizing too. He'd make up some crap about PTSD or something.:P

How about making him do the notifications? Having to go knock on someone's door at three in the morning to tell them that a loved one will never be coming home again.

That'll work.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, safe= never. I "WOULD" say doing 174mph with my pro-street bike on a wide open /empty freeway was my dumbest act but, I'd have to stick with my "divorce" due to the hazards and damage actually incurred.

Man you really got a thorn up your ass from that last thread, huh? :P

Sweet video.

Might have something to do with being one of the poor sods who have to attend the carnage and get blood on their boots. Or one of those who have to tell the parents of a teen that they wont be coming home ever again
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Man you really got a thorn up your ass from that last thread, huh? :P

Sweet video.

Might have something to do with being one of the poor sods who have to attend the carnage and get blood on their boots. Or one of those who have to tell the parents of a teen that they wont be coming home ever again

See, someone gets it.;)

As for hands free devices, that was H-town, look for it to be state wide in the next 2-4 years though.

>Pure unmitigated luck that someone (including the driver) wasn't killed.

I'm sure it was someone else's fault, someone without his driving skillz.

Obviously the police cruisers fault for hanging out in the left lane even though he wasn't passing someone;)

but Dave is right, with some more speed he would of cleared that overpass and been just fine:)

I give him 6/10 for style.
He was attempting a full 180 but only did a 90.
What...do i look like one of the French judges!

What a moron! God looks out for drunks and morons.
Why who knows!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

as an example, i had a 1997 bmw 318, and i thought it funny that the cup holders couldn't hold anything bigger than a can of red bull. i mentioned it to the salesman and he said the reason for that was that germans didn't understand the need for a cup holder in the first place. when you drive, you drive. if you want a coffee, stop and enjoy a coffee. shouldn't be drinking it on the road in the first place. kinda makes sense, but like dave mentioned, it's a cultural thing.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

as an example, i had a 1997 bmw 318, and i thought it funny that the cup holders couldn't hold anything bigger than a can of red bull. i mentioned it to the salesman and he said the reason for that was that germans didn't understand the need for a cup holder in the first place. when you drive, you drive. if you want a coffee, stop and enjoy a coffee. shouldn't be drinking it on the road in the first place. kinda makes sense, but like dave mentioned, it's a cultural thing.

It's not just the Germans..... WTF does anyone want a cup holder for in their car:S

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

WTF does anyone want a cup holder for in their car

It's best if it's close to the phone caddy

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's not just the Germans..... WTF does anyone want a cup holder for in their car:S

So you can put your beer there while you open another.:|

Why else would you want one there?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun