skymama

Is it OK to use a coupon on a first date?

My answer would be to ask him or her out on the date like this:

"Have you heard of this restaurant? I've never been there, but I got this offer in the mail, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Would you like to check it out with me?"

Problem solved.
:)

Smart girl. Good answer.

Put that way, I retract my previously expressed opinion.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I would be glad he was saving money! Then again- I am not the kind of girl that let's the guy pay for everything. Second date- I am buying. Or if he paid for dinner- I will pay for drinks later or the movie or whatever.
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

Jebus woman.
It was half off, I HAD to use the coupon!
:D:D:D:D:D
at least you're not high maintenance like those that don't appreciate saving money.
:P

Nuthin wrong with Chick-filet. :)

That's why I don't believe in sex on the first date.
It should be before the first date.

"What are we doing?"
"We're deciding where we're going for dinner..."
:ph34r:

I am, by no measure, an expensive date, but admittedly, would be MORTIFIED if my boyfriend of 2.5 years whipped out a coupon at dinner, no less on a first date! Amusement park, 2 for 1, type deal? Not the first date, but there after, sure.

I think it's safe to say that I voted 'no'. Cheap and tacky.

I am, by no measure, an expensive date, but admittedly, would be MORTIFIED if my boyfriend of 2.5 years whipped out a coupon at dinner, no less on a first date! Amusement park, 2 for 1, type deal? Not the first date, but there after, sure.

If I was out on a date and she wanted to pay with a coupon, I would be ok with it.
:)

While I appreciate your fervor and honesty, I have to giggle at your perplexity for understanding wealth.

No matter what the price, it is all about the wheel and deal. No-one ever made a fat dime paying "full-price" for everything. But as long as you are never mortified...:P
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

>I think it's safe to say that I voted 'no'. Cheap and tacky.

Interesting. Is it just the reduction in cost? If he knew the owner, and got a free dinner there, would that be even worse, then? How about a place that charged a corkage fee; would you be mortified if he brought his own bottle of wine? Would going to a place that had a deal for dinner that night, or a happy hour (if you were drinking) be tacky? If he had a card that got him discounts at many places throughout the area, would it be tacky to use that?

I've never really thought about this before. I've always assumed that paying less was in general a good thing, and I often fall into one of the above categories. Didn't consider that someone might consider any of that as tacky.

Wow, really? For a first date you would not want him to save 75 dollars at the theme park? Or 15 bucks at the cinema?

He can just find some other gal to use the 2-for-1 on ;)

So that's tacky if your boyfriend of 2.5 years used a coupon at dinner?

Depending on how often you eat out (no pun intended), you can save a hundred plus dollars a month using coupons at decent restaurants.

No, not simply the reduction in cost. I was referring exclusively to coupons.

Paying less, in general, is a good thing... Taking out a coupon in a restaurant, especially on a first date, is however, IMO, tacky. Very tacky :P

What restaurants do you frequent?

No, not simply the reduction in cost. I was referring exclusively to coupons.

Paying less, in general, is a good thing... Taking out a coupon in a restaurant, especially on a first date, is however, IMO, tacky. Very tacky :P

What restaurants do you frequent?

Usually inexpensive chain restaurants (Chili's, Applebees), though the occasional nice restaurant, also. Like I said, an inexpensive date (and I do pay often). Fortunately, neither he nor I, feel the need to use coupons at these places :)

Yes, mortified... Mainly humiliated. I wouldn't be offended, just embarrassed.

Embarrassed in front of the waiter?

I am not trying to be hard on you. I am hoping to gain a little perspective.

I mean, I know waiters at fine restaurants can do well respectively, but to be embarrassed in front of one because of a coupon? To me that says more about you than it does anything else.

Yes, it says that I am a 21 year old who has never had to worry about coupons (thankfully). Perhaps, with age, will come wisdom, and I can showcase some of this amazing fiscal responsibility you speak of. Until then, I maintain my position that using a coupon on a first date is BEYOND tacky.

Yes, it says that I am a 21 year old who has never had to worry about coupons (thankfully).

That is wonderful. You must have all you have ever dreamed of at 21--dream home free-and-clear, reliable and comortable transportation free-and-clear, and if you want/have children, surely their college funds are more than bountiful.

Otherwise, coupons--and all other measures of financial responsibility--will get you closer to those dreams.

Yes, it says that I am a 21 year old who has never had to worry about coupons (thankfully).

I am a 39-year-old who has never had to worry about coupons, but I'll sometimes use them anyway. (Though I always tip based on what the bill would have been without the coupon.) Just saved $30 with a "free birthday dinner" coupon at Benihana. Had a nice steak and lobster dinner and wasn't even humiliated that Rich didn't insist on paying the extra $30 rather than using a coupon. :P

Usually inexpensive chain restaurants (Chili's, Applebees), though the occasional nice restaurant, also. Like I said, an inexpensive date (and I do pay often). Fortunately, neither he nor I, feel the need to use coupons at these places :)

I can't say when I might have (ever?--Applebees) dined in either of those restaurants, but my point was you might be surprised to learn many fine-dining restaurants send regular customers special offers--aka "coupons".

I am a 39-year-old who has never had to worry about coupons, but I'll sometimes use them anyway. (Though I always tip based on what the bill would have been without the coupon.) Just saved $30 with a "free birthday dinner" coupon at Benihana. Had a nice steak and lobster dinner and wasn't even humiliated that Rich didn't insist on paying the extra $30 rather than using a coupon. :P

Im 20, I use coupons, my boyfriend uses coupons... Wouldve been delighted to if my boyfriend had a coupon for our first date, but our first "date" was a trip to fitzgerald :)

Translation: "I'm High Maintenance"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.