SimonBones

Netbook Advice

Hey guys, I've decided I should probably buy one of these small netbooks things for the school semester, but I don't seem to know anything about them. Does anyone have any good advice on them and what to look for?
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

There's a good thread here with information. The only caveat I have about mine after a year is that it's not overburdened with storage space; I actually use the MS Works stuff and couldn't delete it to make room. So see what the free space is when you buy it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

www.newegg.com

usually has good deals and comparrison info. i buy 99% of my stuff from them when i build a new pc. amazing customer service too
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

The majority of computer users are not Unix wizards nor should they need to be to simply operate a tool.

And they don't have to be - Ubuntu and Mint are as plug-and-play as any other OS, nowadays.

That said, if the OP had wanted a Mac, he would have asked for Mac advise, not netbook advice.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The term "netbook" is a generic term regarding the size of the laptop and not specific to any brand or OS.
OSx is a very stable and efficient OS and should not be discounted in my opinion.
There is a lot to be said for commercially supported software.

mymacnetbook

The small MacBooks are also great computers.

The term "netbook" is a generic term regarding the size of the laptop and specific to any brand or OS.

"Netbooks (sometimes also called mini notebooks or ultraportables) are a branch of subnotebooks, a rapidly evolving[1] category of small, lightweight, and inexpensive laptop computers suited for general computing and accessing Web-based applications; they are often marketed as "companion devices", i.e., to augment a user's other computer access.[1]"

Small? Macbook screen is larger than the 'standard' of 10"
Lightweight? Macbook is twice the 'standard' of 1kg
Inexpensive? Macbook is twice the nominal $500 for a high-line netbook.

Another hallmark of a netbook is no optical drive - which macbook model deletes that, again?

OSx is a very stable and efficient OS and should not be discounted in my opinion.
There is a lot to be said for commercially supported software.

And that's fine - it still doesn't make a macbook into a netbook. It also, regardless of what you may have been told, doesn't make 'get a mac' the default answer to every computer question.

mymacnetbook

The small MacBooks are also great computers.

Hackintosh for netbooks? :)
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Get a Mac has never been my generic answer when purchasing a computer. Quite the opposite in fact.
In an enterprise environment I am totally anti-unix by and large due to astronomical support costs. This doesn't mean I am forced to like the products that are suited for corporate American enterprises, but they are only tools and the do work rather sufficiently for the jobs needed.
At home, I prefer to not have to support Microsoft operating systems as the frustration of keeping them working in an efficient manner is a waste of time I would rather be spending more to my liking.

And the MacBook Air eliminated the optical drive.:P

Get a Mac has never been my generic answer when purchasing a computer. Quite the opposite in fact.

Ok, generic to the Apple community at large rather than you personally, then. ;)

In an enterprise environment I am totally anti-unix by and large due to astronomical support costs. This doesn't mean I am forced to like the products that are suited for corporate American enterprises, but they are only tools and the do work rather sufficiently for the jobs needed.
At home, I prefer to not have to support Microsoft operating systems as the frustration of keeping them working in an efficient manner is a waste of time I would rather be spending more to my liking.

I think that any current OS is suitable, given reasonable care. Linux and Apple OS have the advantage over Win for the folks that can't seem to *NOT* click every attachment that shows up in their email, though.

And the MacBook Air eliminated the optical drive.:P

At *triple* the price of the "highline" netbooks...I believe I mentioned the "Apple Tax", above? :P
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I am typing this on an Acer Aspire 1. I love it. I had another one prior to this one and my wife took it.

I was a little apprehensive about the 80% keyboard but after 15 minutes I was used to it. I tried a couple different netbooks out at the store before I decided on the acer. I chose it because of the keyboard layout. The other ones I tried didn't have some of the keys where they should have been or something like that. Those drove me crazy. So thats the biggest advice I can give you is go play with them yourself. I have typed long papers on my keyboard and it works just fine. (I too am a college student.)

Take the Hard Disk over the Solid state drive. Get one with a gig of ram at least. You can upgrade it later if you need to. (some you have to take completely apart to do so but you can). I think most still have the atom processor which will give ya 1.6 ghz or so. Really not bad.

I run linux on it now but my wifes runs windows xp home. I put windows 7 ultimate on mine for a little while it ran pretty well I just like linux so I have control on what my computer does.

Some have suggested a mac and I'll have to disagree. OSX is great I just can't stand apple as a company though. But I'm actually disagreeing because your planning to take it to school where it has a decent chance of getting stolen or broken. Might as well only be out 300 instead of twice that. Just my thought.

Oh yeah also get at least a 6 cell battery the 3 cells don't last as long. The Nine Cells will last even longer. They just cost more.

I also recommend ignoring any sales person at best buy. Occasionally you find one that has a clue but not often.

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

I have this one: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=478160 in lieu of the mastodon that outweighed my military rucksack. I was concerned about the Atom processor and the single gig of RAM (but bumped it to 2 gig). I love the machine and it even does well with Gimp.

The two things I will share is that when you need the external CD-ROM [separate purchase ~$80.00], you will have left it at the office, home etc. And, the one big thing I took for granted, but did not find out until I plugged it into the large monitor is that it does not have a dual monitor card. I just completely assumed they all have dual cards these days and shame on me for not reading the specs on it. But, with the big monitor, one gets used to not having the second monitor again. I do like the Toshiba automatic back-up service. Schedule it, pick your folders and leave it on at night and it backs up.

My main reason for choosing this netbook was the raised versus piano keys 98% keyboard. I type by touch and the piano key thing just doesn't work for me.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.