Master_Yoda

How many musicians here & what do you play?

In what has become nothing but a past life I got my degree in trombone performance from a conservatory. I found out the hard way how much different reality is when the limits of natural talent are reached and you actually have to start working at it in order to continue improving.

I was blessed with a significant amount of natural ability that I never truly appreciated, and it really bit me in the ass 3/4 of the way through a degree program when I realized that I really didn't enjoy it once it became work rather than something that was just easy and fun. I dropped it like a hot rock immediately after finishing my degree. I have never missed the trombone for a minute, but I do regret not keeping up on the piano. I only ever had the secondary classes that were part of my curriculum, but I was halfway decent and think about it every time I'm near a piano and wish I could still sit down and play something more than just garbage.
Killing threads since 2004.

I'm sure what you call "garbage" is pretty freakin' awesome compared to my banjo licks! It's never too late to start playing again.
Like I mentioned before, I started playing melody when I turned 40. At that time it was on a guitar. And I was horrible at it. A friend gave me a mandolin and that I was much better at. Last Christmas I traded my Martin D18V guitar for a 1926 Vega Tubaphone tenor banjo. I absolutely love it. But I'm sure I'm one of the folks who could get paid to NOT play. LOL :D

Rock, country, country rock, blue grass. Bass guitar (Fender precision Calif. special, 1969 Echo Viola bass, And a Charvelle that I can't play anymore for fear of rubbing off over 30 autographs of various musicians from over the last 20 yrs.), Guitar (Sebring archtop), and harmonica. I also play a very mean stereo.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

It's never too late to start playing again.

Very true! What makes it most difficult is having once performed at a pretty impressive level feeling adequate with anything less. Someday when I own a home I will own a piano and I'm sure will put more effort into it. For now, it is too frustrating to suck so I just avoid it all together!
Killing threads since 2004.

Bagpipe (not opposed to the modern piping of rock fusion)

Highland, Uilleann, or something else? I've seen a few guys play Dudelsack (German pipes)... now those were strange.

HIGHLAND (for the sake of the household= I just play chanter alot now...same deal quieter sqeal ;) )

I've been working on "Shipping up to Boston" by DKM on my banjo. I know a couple Flogging Molly tunes as well. Been playing songs from the Clash on my mandolin.
Of course this is all in addition to playing fiddle & pipe tunes. Gotta keep with the roots to make the fusion stuff good.

There's a guy down in San Antonio who wants me to join his band "The Blackthorns". It's a *Celtic rock folk punk type band. He's apparently got some good talent put together down there. Why would he want me?? LOL :D

If it's the same BLACKTHORN band I know...I have a CD of theirs.. good stuff + Wife and 3 of 5 kids love it* too.

I've been working on "Shipping up to Boston" by DKM on my banjo. I know a couple Flogging Molly tunes as well. Been playing songs from the Clash on my mandolin.
Of course this is all in addition to playing fiddle & pipe tunes. Gotta keep with the roots to make the fusion stuff good.

There's a guy down in San Antonio who wants me to join his band "The Blackthorns". It's a *Celtic rock folk punk type band. He's apparently got some good talent put together down there. Why would he want me?? LOL :D

If it's the same BLACKTHORN band I know...I have a CD of theirs.. good stuff + Wife and 3 of 5 kids love it* too.

Hmmm... I doubt it. This band is brand new. At least I think they are. The dude never mentioned having a cd out but he did say he has a full studio at home. Maybe he did put an album out???