Master_Yoda

How many musicians here & what do you play?

I've got a passion for trad Irish music and play mandolin and tenor banjo.

How 'bout you? B|

guitar (so-so flatpicker. bluegrass, irish, etc.), harmonica (badly), sing (very badly). I also love trad Irish and English music and am a long time fan of Paul Brady, Sandy Denny, etc. And folk music from anywhere.

How 'bout you? B|

I sing, and play pennywhistle, Irish flute, piano, guitar, and dabble in bodhran and fiddle.

AWESOME! B| Maybe someday we'll get to session around the bonfire after a days jumps.

How 'bout you? B|

I sing, and play pennywhistle, Irish flute, piano, guitar, and dabble in bodhran and fiddle.

AWESOME! B| Maybe someday we'll get to session around the bonfire after a days jumps.

I'm working on learning more of the traditional tunes. Most of what I know now are traditional songs (the Irish folk songs I grew up with and some I've learned since) rather than instrumental tunes. I just bought a book that has a ton of traditional tunes for pennywhistle and flute and I've been practicing those.

7 Nations is a great Rock fusion group with Pipe
Dropkick Murphys play some
Johnathan Davis in KORN plays (gets 1 pipe tune in ea. album)

I've been working on "Shipping up to Boston" by DKM on my banjo. I know a couple Flogging Molly tunes as well. Been playing songs from the Clash on my mandolin.
Of course this is all in addition to playing fiddle & pipe tunes. Gotta keep with the roots to make the fusion stuff good.

There's a guy down in San Antonio who wants me to join his band "The Blackthorns". It's a Celtic rock folk punk type band. He's apparently got some good talent put together down there. Why would he want me?? LOL :D

Guitar & bass, some keyboard (but not much.) Play in a kick-ass church band and also play at a local open-mike thing. Mostly solo, sometimes with some other folks. Have worked out what I call the "wine & cheese" solo versions of a bunch of classic stuff, such as Steely Dan's "Black Cow," Meat Loaf's "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad," The Doors' "Love Her Madly," The Who's "Bargain," The Beatles' "Penny Lane," and a bunch of Paul Simon tunes. This week I arranged a very fine version of Chicago's "Saturday In the Park" and the Moody Blues' "The Voice."

It's interesting going from the church band, where everyone is facing the stage & listening politely, to the bar where people are milling around, talking, laughing, and basically enjoying their evening and mostly ignoring you. One of the nicest compliments I got was about 20 years ago when I auditioned in a bar for more than an hour. Almost nobody paid any attention to me, but nobody left. B|

Cheers,
Jon S.

Guitar (mediocre), piano (average), sing (cats generally stick around)...

Like pretty much all music - but haven't seen the link in NickDG's thread yet...
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent