ASullivan

Dolphin Containers

Had one and fell out of love with it real fast. It just didn't have the construction and strength to last long. It looked ten years old in 6 months.

I have a Wings that is 4 years old with 500 jumps and looks like it is brand new still.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

At my home DZ we used to have a bunch of dolphins. Some are still around in rental gear with a considerable number of jumps on them. However, due to some good deals on Wings offered a few years ago, they represent the minority of the fleet now. I've known a lot of people with dolphins and have jumped quite a few. It is a good low-frills rig that gets the job done. While it's not as stylish or feature loaded as some of the other rigs on the market it represents a good rig for a low price. It's the entry level new rig for the skydiving market, as is the Rigging Innovations Genera rig. The Dolphin is to skydiving as the Chevy Cavalier (or similar models) are to cars. For the same price you could by a used car with more options, etc; however, there is something to be said for shiny new stuff.
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I have a 96 one of the frist made still looks new and has held up very well over the years, C.S. at altico can't be beat, A GOOD RIG FOR THE PRICE.
I like it as much as my other rigs (javlin, vector)

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

My husband and I both have been jumping our Dolphins for 2 years and like them very much...they have all the important features at a good price.
We've never had any trouble with either of the rigs and they still look great...they just don't have all the "bells & whistles" as some that cost more.;)

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

I absolutly love my dolphin. I got mine used, and had to get the upgrades so i can freefly with it, but no problems. It's the most comfortable rig for me. I'm thinking about getting myself a 2nd one!

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Dolphin, has a lot of high quality workmanship in it for the price. Dolphin, harness-containers are quite comfortable, also. If,you can get the chance, try one on or maybe, test jump one. I think, you'll be surprised.

Chuck

a guy at our DZ has one, he really liked it till it had a premature on the step.
so he spent a couple hundred dollars getting the mods to make it better protected and freefly friendly.

i would have just spent that extra money getting a better container from the beginning.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have 2 Dolphin rigs. The first one I've had since 97 (bought brand new) and is still in great shape. The second one is a retro that Mike did all the updates for me before he shipped it (at the time I was in Arizona). Very comfortable rigs. I would recommend the purchase as an owner and as a rigger.

Blue skies,
Kaye

Just wanted to know what people have thought about their dolphins and if they liked them or not. I am thinking of buying one.

THe Dolphin was my first container. It was a great, low cost rig for my first couple hundred jumps. The previous owner had gotten some freefly mods so I used it a bit for that but I mostly used it for RW and it was excellent for that. I wholeheartedly recommend Dolphin as a first rig.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Just wanted to know what people have thought about their dolphins and if they liked them or not. I am thinking of buying one.

I just bought a used one and had Altico do the mods to bring it up to date (full length riser covers, new reserve pin cover, bridle cover, new boc). Figuring the Cypres that I got with the rig was worth $200, I then paid $500 for what is essentially a new container.

It's very, very comfortable and IMHO well made. Both riggers at my dz, neither of whom are Dolphin "fans" both say it's a good container and well built.

I now have about 15 jumps in mine and love it. Of course, I had a Racer before, so some here will no doubt wonder about my sensibility! ;) (BTW, I really liked the Racer too!)

Someone here mentioned a Chevy comparison. I concur. I drive a Taurus - one of several I've owned. Like the Taurus, the Dolphin is comfortable, looks good, does exactly what it's supposed to do at a decent price and provides excellent value. I could drive a $40k Lexus and while it does look better and has all the goodies, it doesn't do anything more than my Taurus. Ditto for Dolphins vs. the "luxury rigs".
Michael Hart

I could drive a $40k Lexus and while it does look better and has all the goodies, it doesn't do anything more than my Taurus. Ditto for Dolphins vs. the "luxury rigs".

I've got around 100 jumps on a couple of dolphin rigs and I couldn't disagree more.

You get what you pay for. Period.

The reason a V3 Micron costs so much is the same reason why a Porsche costs so much. The absolute attention to detail quality, not just the name and not just the extras.

If you want to buy a "cheap" rig I would say go with a solid FF safe rig, something like an Infinity or a Wings. Both are "value" rigs but both will give you more in longevity of the rig's lifespan and other nice features like bullet proof flap design.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dolphins are ok. I used one for CRW for a legnth of time. They dont look as great as otehr rigs, but IMO, you would be better off spending a couple hundred more bucks and springing for a wings or infinity as Aggie Dave said. Belly fly with a dolphin, freefly with a dolphin(as long as you have the freefly mods) but in my opinion, dolpins are teh same level of technology as the vector two...top of the line up until 1990, then a huge container boom happened and Relative workshop finally came out with the Vector Three... a much better design. Dont pay your rent and spend a little more for a better container.

Cheers,
Travis