kallend

Any lawncare experts out there?

They're flowers, right? Just decide they're deliberate :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have an outbreak of wild violets in my lawn. None of the usual lawn weedkillers seem to faze them. Any suggestions other than digging them up?

Hey Kallend,

I talked to the guys at my local seed grower and one of the things that stuck with me from the conversation was that over watering your lawn can allow weeds and wild flowers to grow. The guy I spoke with suggested watering only once every 4 days because grass stores water in it's thatch layer(?). He said to pay attention to the lawn and if it starts to brown on the 2nd or 3rd day, to adjust how long you water on that 4th day, but never to add water cycles. My lawn see's alot of sun, so a 3 day cycle works well for me. About the only time I see a weed or two sprout is when thunder storms move through and screw up my watering cycle ;)

Good luck!

how long do you keep it? If you keep it short you will have more issues with weeds. I keep mine pretty long and that seems to limit the amount of sun weeds can get and kinda snuffs them out. It helps with watering as well, the length of the grass shades the roots where you want some moisture.

I have an outbreak of wild violets in my lawn. None of the usual lawn weedkillers seem to faze them. Any suggestions other than digging them up?

Hey Kallend,

I talked to the guys at my local seed grower and one of the things that stuck with me from the conversation was that over watering your lawn can allow weeds and wild flowers to grow. The guy I spoke with suggested watering only once every 4 days because grass stores water in it's thatch layer(?). He said to pay attention to the lawn and if it starts to brown on the 2nd or 3rd day, to adjust how long you water on that 4th day, but never to add water cycles. My lawn see's alot of sun, so a 3 day cycle works well for me. About the only time I see a weed or two sprout is when thunder storms move through and screw up my watering cycle ;)

Good luck!

Thanks, but all the watering is done by the rain:o.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A non-chemical solution is straight white vinegar.

Doesn't that kill the grass too?

I don't know the extent of your problem, but in Oklahoma, they are like locusts. Paul James - gardener does his show from Tulsa. Each year he gives seminars at the Tulsa Home & Garden Show. Wild Violets being one of those most asked questions. The problem with Wild Violets is they are resilient little bastards. (as you know).

Paul's recommendation is to not pull or dig them like you do dandelions because any leftover root structure acts as tentacles to begat additional violets. Use a medicine dropper or ear bulb to pour the white vinegar directly into the core of the root. It is a hassle and has to be done every couple of weeks. Assume year one, that you will get most of them, but not unlike dandelions is an effort for a year or two until you get them all.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.