CarrieByTheSea

Vibes Needed? One of Our Nests Hatched!

So, anyone who knows me knows I adore sea turtles. I collect original artist works of all mediums of sea turtles--at least one or two pieces in every room. I donate. I volunteer. I adopt nests...

And last night I saw one of my nests hatch!

It was amazing! And still seems so surreal.

I have been to a couple excavations and have not been fortunate to find any live ones waiting for help and to be released so...

Our nest will be escavated soon and we are invited and are hoping we find a live one or two to observe and release! That way I can snag a photo (excavations are typically early morning or later evening, when there is still enough light to not use a flash and capture a photo).

So, "vibes needed"? :D:P:)
Until now, this photo is of our nest 20-minutes after the last hatching made its way to the big blue.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Thank you! It was incredible.

I keep saying, "They are so tiny." They really are so tiny and even though I have a couple art pieces at home that feature hatchlings-to-size, it still does not equate for me these tiny little sea turtles I watched flipping their fins in the sand so quickly (seriously, they go so quickly) toward the ocean. They were so tiny. :P:)

I have been privileged to witness both laying and hatching, (Green Sea turtles)
Both were moving experiences
:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

thats awesome! thats quite a ditch they make
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

It is cool isn't it? We were in Jamaica one year when a nest hatched on the beach at our resort and several of the hatchlings were heading towards the lights of the resort instead of the moon. The staff and guests all pitched in and rounded them up and took them out to the reef. The resort even turned off most of the lights near the pool and bar for the ones that were still emerging from the nest! It was an experience i will never forget.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I am still so excited, but alas I was just there in the pouring rain for 45 minutes and there were no live ones.

Having said that, it was a very successful nest and I made some new friends.

:)
Keep the "vibes" going as we still have through October to try again.

One of the highlights of my life was being responsible for locating, protecting and hatching out turtle nests as an AmeriCorps member with Florida state parks back in 2005. We lost all but two nests that summer to hurricanes, but the two that made it were very successful and it was quite a feeling.

I can only imagine the excitement for you!
Killing threads since 2004.