aubsmell

New Aerodyne Icon Risers...(dive loops, hard housing)

In the past there were a few threads in this forum concerning our risers.

I posted one requesting suggestions on dive loops, and I just wanted to post what we came up with from all the suggestions. So here it is.

The basic premis is that it stays a continuous loop of type 17, but it is rotated outboard, so that the dive loop opens from form, and is easily grabbed under canopy.

(here are some pics)

A-
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

Additionally a few months ago, there were some questions on here about our hard housings slipping on the earlier designs. I just wanted to post some pics of the manufacturing methods used at present.

The hard housing is sewn down with the open end contained in a folded over piece of type 3 webbing, with a hot knifed hole, the housing is additionally tacked down at the bottom and top, and at the top end there is an Oetiker clamp, with a piece of Spectra crimped between the housing and the clamp with the free end being bartacked. This prevents the possibility of the hard housing slipping out of the bottom should the hot knifed opening be torn, the bartack prevents the cutaway cable from protruding through the top end of the hard housing.

(that is a lot of words ending in ing)

Photos below.

A-

I'd say it's not advertising, because I'm not trying to sell you anything, or tell you how great they are...

Just simply pictures of new gear to keep the skydiving population informed in new happenings at one manufacturer.

For info purposes only.

A-

Just some pics of the other pieces of the risers. The working end and the toggle.

A-

It would be easier to viev if the the risers where some color other than black and the dive loops where a contrasting color. jmo

And I agree, passing on information on new things is not advertising.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

sorry, the pics arn't that great, I had to dilute the quality of the pics pretty heavily to fit them on here.

The dive loops can't contrast, as they are not a different piece, just a continuation of the same piece of type 17 webbing.

all the risers I have in stock at the moment are all dark colors, lots of black and navy blue harness going through right now....

I'm not a big fan of your toggle setup. I'm sure it's been tested thoroughly and all that, but basicly the only thing keeping the brakes set is a single steel pin that's pointing the "wrong" way. What I mean is that I can easily imagine a rapidly descending slider knocking a brake loose on deployment.

I do like the Miniforce system and the hard housings; so I bought a pair of your risers and modified them to take my original Atom Legend toggles. If you could offer the same kind of toggles as an option on Icons, I don't think I'd have to think twice about what container I'm buying next...;)

Have to agree with John here. I would encourage more manufacturer spec information in this forum. I know Bill has discussed the sSkyHook and other things in here and that type of information is always welcomed.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

isn't this a little close to advertising?

Yeap, it is advertising by any advertising standard. Where it crosses the line from information to advertising is that 50% of the picture space is the logo. If they were trying to show us what was done then show us more of the change (larger pic. of the risers) and less of promoting the business (logo).
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

The steel pin is actually in the same direction as most velcroless systems. The toggle is also held in place by the top end of it in the sleeve above the guide ring. IMO, this setup is more idiot proof than others. Some velcroless toggles have elastic keepers, which wear out very rapidly and dont hold as well. Late ninety's mirage risers have the bottom toggle keeper facing in the opposite direction as the top toggle keeper. Relative Workshop also uses the steel pin on their toggles as the "latest and greatest" design. And Bill Booth is the legend of containers.

Cheers,
Travis

All the manufacturer's have good things about their design, but none of them have exactly what I want. I need to have some custom made.

I want RWS tru-locks, Aerodyne's dive loops, Infinity's AMP-fitted hard housings, and an elastic keeper on the back or side to hold my excess line. In purple, with silver or light grey toggles. Is that too much to ask?:ph34r:
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

This is just my opinion, but...

The manufacturer is responsible for the toggles staying put during opening shock/initial load. I see it as MY responsibility to make sure it stays put as the slider is collapsed/pulled down.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The manufacturer is responsible for the toggles staying put during opening shock/initial load. I see it as MY responsibility to make sure it stays put as the slider is collapsed/pulled down.

It's the slider slamming in to the toggles and releasing one on opening that he's talking about.
my pics & stuff!

It's the slider slamming in to the toggles and releasing one on opening that he's talking about.

Understood - but why is it the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure that the slider on the parachute YOU put on the rig doesn't come down past the links?

If the owner is that worried, then (again, in *MY* opinion), perhaps larger bumpers or slink hats are needed....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Understood - but why is it the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure that the slider on the parachute YOU put on the rig doesn't come down past the links?

I would gess that most rig manufacturers could care less about the links, and more about what starts just below them. Once that slider goes below the links it's at the risers which were designed and supplied by the rig manufacturer.

Sliders dislodging toggles is nothing new which is why several gear manufacturer's all have their own designs for trying to keep that from happening with their risers.

Also, I pull my slider down after it's collapsed and I don't want it dislodging toggles whether I intentionally pull it down, or if it happens to come down on its own.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I want RWS tru-locks, Aerodyne's dive loops, Infinity's AMP-fitted hard housings, and an elastic keeper on the back or side to hold my excess line. In purple, with silver or light grey toggles. Is that too much to ask?

You're not the only one that wants that exact riser. I'll add that I would want a standard mini-ring instead of the mini-force riser as well.

If we get enough people together do you think we could get a larger rigging shop or a manufacture to make a set of risers like that?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Andy,

I'm pretty sure that your hard housings are the new ones, and the older dive loops can be modified, I'll take care of them when I'm at Chicagoland in June.

later-