FlyingJ

Virgin Mobile MiFi - anyone try it?

So, anyone try the Virgin Mobile MiFi cellular wifi device? Appears to be similar to existing devices that offer "3G" internet except that for $40 a month you get unlimited data. Billing is also month to month with no contract with the ability to pay some months and not others if for some reason you don't need the service. The device allows up to 5 wireless connections, but no wired connections. It charges very slowly by USB or quickly by wall or 12v adapter.

There are some cons, but they appear to be on par with all similar devices. I'm interested in hearing from anyone tha has given it a try. The cost seems high considering the device is fee with other services, but I believe the lack of contract makes up for that.

Edit to add: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/broadband2go.html
Killing threads since 2004.

I have not used that service but have used a similar device with the Verizon network. It works well with the exception of USB charging; the USB charger will not always keep up with even normal operation of the device, so if you're somewhere without an outlet you may be out of luck.

Funny you should ask because I'm using it right now :)
Prior to getting the device, I had considered getting the HTC Evo (still am) and using that as my internet. Even though the MiFi is slow, I will continue using it as my internet and not pay for the HTC hotspot.

There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Do you have netflix by any chance? I am most interested in knowing how Netflix streaming does. I'm guessing if YouTube bogs down that Netflix would be horrible.

I've just about ruled it out now that I had someone with sprint come over to test reception at my home. Apparently my apartment is near impervious to all cell reception and not just AT&T as I had hoped.

I'm still curious though if anyone out there has tried it with Netflix.

Well that's promising. I just found a retailer in town listed on the Virgin Mobile site that supposedly sells broadband2go products. I have my doubts being that I live in a town of 7,000 and have to drive 30 miles to do pretty much anything but fish, but we'll see in the morning!